String Breakage Revisited

cjpeck

Reaction score
That's the price of foolin' round the backstage, CJ..

Next time, read it while sippin' a cheaper booze.
Sir, but that was my cheap booze, sir.

I'm just happy I wasn't into the uigeadail or Glenfiddich 21.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
This is a result of MLP having no “Live Performance” sub forum. Those who want to post about problems in this area have no other place but the Backstage to do it. The Backstage is (correctly) a place for non-guitar discussion and for humor. It is not really for discussion of live performance problems, but there is no other place here to post about these things.

This rather strange, as I’ll bet the vast majority of members here play only live. It may be live alone in a basement music room, or in small bar venues, or even in larger venues — but it is still live performance. I’ll bet few members here have recording contracts!

That is why this thread has received so many humorous responses. That is one thing the Backstage is for. But if one has a serious live performance question, where does he post it on MLP?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Actually, I have never heard of a player breaking a G string by strumming hard. By bending too hard? Yeah, very common. But not from strumming.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a result of MLP having no “Live Performance” sub forum. Those who want to post about problems in this area have no other place but the Backstage to do it. The Backstage is (correctly) a place for non-guitar discussion and for humor. It is not really for discussion of live performance problems, but there is no other place here to post about these things.

This rather strange, as I’ll bet the vast majority of members here play only live. It may be live alone in a basement music room, or in small bar venues, or even in larger venues — but it is still live performance. I’ll bet few members here have recording contracts!

That is why this thread has received so many humorous responses. That is one thing the Backstage is for. But if one has a serious live performance question, where does he post it on MLP?

So one can only break strings if they are in front of people?

errr, huh?

Sorry, but I don't really see where this is a live performance issue.

However, I do agree that a live performance sub-forum would be a good idea.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading this thread.

Fecking hilarious. Thanks for a great laugh.
I needed one today. You guys are the best.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
We do need a live performance sub forum, but we do not need a pegging sub forum, because we have one, and you just posted on it!

Yes, string breakage is not a matter confined to live performance. It can be a problem in any playing environment. But in live performance it is an ultra serious problem. If you are recording (for which we have a sub forum) you just stop the recording, change the string, and do another take. In a live performance, it can take a few highly embarrassing minutes. So this matter would belong in a “Live Performance” sub forum — if we had one.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I asked myself why I read this far. I didn't have a good answer. It's like watching dogs fuck. You know that you should stop, walk away and not return. But, you can't help it. And, then when it's over, you feel bad.

Holy shit!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Actually, the OP’s question was valid and guitar related. The posts that followed were humorous, to be sure. But most of them had nothing to do with the OP’s question. I am an old fart who will either have an answer or I will shut up.

Look, go back and read the OP. We have a brother who gigs and is having string breakage problems on stage. I know the OP is on the Backstage (the only place to post it here) and humor is common in the Backstage. And I know I have been accused of having a defective sense of humor on this forum (to which I plead guilty). I just feel that we should not make responses to the real concerns of a gigging musician to be a joke (or an attempted one).

In the past 11 years, I have posted a number of guitar related questions on this forum. Some of my earlier ones were amateurish, but nobody made a joke of them. As a result, I have learned much here. I only suggest that if a poster asks a guitar related question, we give him a legitimate answer, or no answer at all.

i hope that the minority of legitimate responses on this thread will help the OP resolve his problem. I can think of no better definition of Hell than to be playing onstage and having repeated string breakage problems.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Agreed... after the 2nd time, the problem would have been insta-solved. If not, the guitar would have been insta-sold.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Actually, the OP’s question was valid and guitar related. The posts that followed were humorous, to be sure. But most of them had nothing to do with the OP’s question. I am an old fart who will either have an answer or I will shut up.

Look, go back and read the OP. We have a brother who gigs and is having string breakage problems on stage. I know the OP is on the Backstage (the only place to post it here) and humor is common in the Backstage. And I know I have been accused of having a defective sense of humor on this forum (to which I plead guilty). I just feel that we should not make responses to the real concerns of a gigging musician to be a joke (or an attempted one).

In the past 11 years, I have posted a number of guitar related questions on this forum. Some of my earlier ones were amateurish, but nobody made a joke of them. As a result, I have learned much here. I only suggest that if a poster asks a guitar related question, we give him a legitimate answer, or no answer at all.

i hope that the minority of legitimate responses on this thread will help the OP resolve his problem. I can think of no better definition of Hell than to be playing onstage and having repeated string breakage problems.
Thanks... I took the jokes as jokes and laughed at them. I did take offense at the poster saying I always ask questions and never take the advice. It was as much how he said it as what. If I didn't value the opinions I would not ask. This thread for example.... as soon as it was said that I should get it to a luthier, I contacted the best one I know and did EXACTLY what he said, yet somehow I didn't take the advice given. The jokes and humor on here really don't bother me. Even most at my expense. But on occasion there is someone who just has to be an ass. That REALLY gets me. I post on here a lot. To be honest 99% of the time I know what should be done and post for validation and conversation. Or to share my gig experiences. And even then I occasionally get some smart assed remark. I don't understand the necessity for that kinda stuff.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
SteveC,

I understand about getting rid of the guitar, but I like to be involved in fixing things. Like, in my life I have designed three houses,— one of which I live in now. About three years ago I ordered a two year old Carvin guitar off of eBay. It’s original cost was $1600. My price was $600. Then, after ordering, I researched this guitar and found that it had been bought on eBay before on the same listing and returned. I thought “Oh sh*t!” I got itt and discovered that some fool had put 13-52 strings on it, while the nut and bridge were cut for 9-42s. I put correct strings on it, set it up, and now it is one of two “go to” guitars I have. Sometimes, the fix is easy — sometimes not. But if the fix is easy, I like to do it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, I hear ya Dole. And, I do like to tinker with things and housing is one thing I enjoy. My dear darling wife and I built a house in CA when we lived out there. A lot of the work went to pro contractors and builders, but once it was "sealed up", plumbed & wired, we did a lot of the finish work. Tons of fun.

My point about fix it or dump it fast was only because when you play out, your shit has to work, every time. I don't want to spend time trying to figure out why something doesn't. My gear has to be 110% reliable. Or, it gets replaced.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
OHIOSTEVE,

This is the place where most guitar related posters seek validation, and they should get it right here. Or they should get guitar related contrary opinions. The problem here is that the Backstage is a place where topics like sex, cars, wife problems, kid problems, dogs and cats, and other non-guitar related topics are discussed. We need a sub forum for live performance.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Little disappointed, being lysdexic I thought I was going to hear some stories about spring break in the 80's, when men wore bright orange mesh shits and women still had pubes. BUT NOOOOOOO!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
SteceC,

‘My point exactly. But note that the OP’s problem guitar is not his only acoustic. But it is one he likes, and needs advice on.
‘As I an in my 70s I got the builder to turn key our house in Durango CO. It has worked out well for over eight years, but it is too small! Especially in the area of storage, but storage buildings are common here so that might be a solution.

I think I work on guitars more than I play them (my mistake). And I just like to give what advice I can to others with problems if I can.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
NRBQ,

What the hell are you posting about? This thread is about strange string breakage on an acoustic guitar. Do you have any idea what is causing that?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder how often Buddy Holly broke strings. I heard he played pretty hard.