String Breakage Revisited

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Guys I am still breaking strings. I cannot figure it out. I have switched string brands. But broke another one again today. It was a D string. I have a bone saddle and have went over and over it and there are no sharp edges or burrs that I can find but all of the breaks are at the saddle... I HAVE TO get this fixed. I had a different saddle and cannot find it now.

Attachments

HogmanA

Reaction score
I believe the issue is as I have already said. It is the design of the bridge. I have seen pictures of other Taylor guitars with the ball end twists extending over the saddle. Even if they aren't over the saddle, they must be very close to it. This part of the string is likely more brittle.
Put some ball ends on to move the twists further away.

Also, maybe try picking further away from the bridge. The closer to the bridge, the harder you can pick and you may have become inadvertently heavy handed.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys I am still breaking strings. I cannot figure it out. I have switched string brands. But broke another one again today. It was a D string. I have a bone saddle and have went over and over it and there are no sharp edges or burrs that I can find but all of the breaks are at the saddle... I HAVE TO get this fixed. I had a different saddle and cannot find it now.
Steve, this is way too much trouble.

No amount of Yappin' about it, with everybody speculating from their armchairs as to what the problem is ain't gonna fix it. Ain't gonna help it.

"hmm, maybe it's the this. Maybe it's the that. Maybe it's the other. Maybe it's the carburetor. Maybe it's the battery. "

Whole lot of blah blah nuthin'.

You need to take it to a real, bona-fide luthier. Not a "tech". So the pro will have it in their hands, in their well-equipped shop, and be able to actually achieve something.

Get it straightened out by a pro.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Maybe you can trade it towards a collings d2h, and completely eliminate the issue. lol

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Steve, this is way too much trouble.

No amount of Yappin' about it, with everybody speculating from their armchairs as to what the problem is ain't gonna fix it. Ain't gonna help it.

"hmm, maybe it's the this. Maybe it's the that. Maybe it's the other. Maybe it's the carburetor. Maybe it's the battery. "

Whole lot of blah blah nuthin'.

You need to take it to a real, bona-fide luthier. Not a "tech". So the pro will have it in their hands, in their well-equipped shop, and be able to actually achieve something.

Get it straightened out by a pro.
Amen. Bitching about it never solved anything.

HogmanA

Reaction score
Bridge plate repair, detailed explanation and repair procedure here:

If you woodshop... try it yourself?

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am friends with Mark Kaiser. Some of you will recognize the name. I emailed him, told him the issue and exactly where the breaks were occurring. He knows I do a lot of stuff myself and he has seen some of my work. If he thinks I can handle it he tells me what to do. If not he has me bring it to him. These breaks are happening exactly where the string crosses the saddle. So I just finished filing all of the string grooves out of the saddle then polishing it smooth. I was polishing it and leaving the grooves just removing the rough edges. So we will see if it fixes the issue if not it goes to Mark. I have 2 other nice acoustics I can play so it is not a huge deal to have it out of commission for a while.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
A "D" string? You mean the third from fattest? How the hell does one break one of those? I don't think that I have ever broken a wound string.
Yep....I dont ever remember breaking one either.

Latest Threads