String Brands....

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was using Ernie Ball Classic RnR’s, now I’m trying Pearse Pure Nickels for the first time, they seem ok.

What are yous, using?

mdubya

Reaction score
Try a set of Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel. They last at least twice as long as anything else I have tried. They sound great, too.

I buy a lot of extra wound strings, though, so I have been using D'Addario Pure Nickel and I just purchased 10 sets of GHS Nickel Rockers and Burnished Nickels to try, since they can be purchased by individual string.

GHS was the Gibson string supplier before regime change. Their packaging looks very similar, now, too.

The D'Addarios were sweet to play, but they didn't last like the Gibson V RI's last.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Either Gibson vintage reissues, the new ones are slightly different than the previous ones but still seem to be the goods.

Or for modern stuff DiAddario NYXL's. They are the best string I've ever had on a floyd rose. Bright sounding, smooth feeling, get to stable fast and stay there for a LONG time.

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was using the Pure Nickel Power Slinky’s, but then I stumbled on a couple of sets of Snake Oil 10-50’s and dug em. They ain’t in business anymore so Pearse makes that same gauge set.

mdubya

Reaction score
I buy all my strings in bulk from Just Strings.
That is where I get mine.

@jeggz I used Nickel Plated Slinkys for years, very happily. Once I got turned on and blown away (<-- I didn't even think that was possible with strings) by the Gibson VRIs, I tried a set of EB Slinky Pure Nickel. I destroyed the wound strings in a week (wore through the windings) and that was the end of that experiment. I also tried going back to the Nickel Plated Slinkys and no dice, it just wasn't the same.

mdubya

Reaction score
How are they?

I was thinking of going that route, but they don’t do the pure nickel thing, do they?
The site is not easy to navigate. I didn't see Pure Nickel for Pearce, but they have Pure Nickel for other brands.

Individual strings available from these companies:

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The site is not easy to navigate. I didn't see Pure Nickel for Pearce, but they have Pure Nickel for other brands.

Individual strings available from these companies:

The pure nickel Pearse are the 2505 set 50-10

Grenville

Reaction score
Throbak strings are very nice. I like Sono-Tone too, but hard to get hold of.

I usually only use pure nickels, but the Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery strings are very cheap and really good.

mdubya

Reaction score
FWIW-I have bought bulk orders of the Just Striings brand plain strings. They are OK, no defects or inconsistencies.

But... I have gone back to buying full sets of D'Addario, GHS, Gibson, etc... and buying extra wound strings. The finish on the plain strings seems a little bit nicer.

That makes me a typical guitar player: they make everything imaginable and I can figure out something I want that is hard to find or doesn't exist and no one else wants. :lol: :laugh2:

Latest Threads