Streaming TV

KTM

Reaction score
I don't watch much TV. When I do it's stuff I buy on disc or download. My OTA signal is good but about the only thing I watch OTA is local news and then usually only for weather if there's a storm about. No cable where I'm at and my internet options are DSL (which I have) or satellite like Hughes Net. No interest in satellite internet or satellite TV. Earlier this summer they ran fiber through my area and yesterday we got a letter with the info on it. They want $300 just to hook it up and the lowest tier is $69.95/month IF you bundle that with one of their TV services, the lowest priced of those was around $170/month plus the $69.95/month. If you just get the internet connection it's +$20/month so $89.95/month for 25Mb/s internet. My DSL is 15Mb/s (fastest they offer) and $79.95/month and seems to be just fine, well except for extremely slow upload speeds. I have Amazon Prime but my wife and I never use the streaming services. My daughter has Netflix, which I think I have only used a couple of times when I watched something with her. I think I'm going to pass on the $300 + $89.95/month offer. It's through the same company my DSL is with so, who knows they might jack up the DSL costs or throttle the speed and force me to hook up. :dunno:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Whoa... that is great!!! Who is your ISP?

Around my parts, I can choose between FIoS (Verizon) and Xfinity (Comcrap). The lowest tier on both is $79/month (50/50, 100/25). With Comcrap, we also get a basic TV plan with locals and some other junk, too.
Optimum

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some of these internet access speeds and prices are nuts.

We invented the net but other countries get it much faster and cheaper, ... somehow

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I watch "The Wall" game show and Letterkenny. The rest is mostly youtube videos. We'll watch some Big Bang Theory re-runs as well. Otherwise, I don't need no stinking satellite. $400 a month here for everything . Phones, TV, Internet, Hulu and Prime. That's a frickin' mortgage around here.

Need to cut that shit down.....

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
We have comcast which is the only game in town right now. We have the Performance level which they state gets me up to 70MB download speeds, for $78.95/month. I just ran Speedtest.net to see if I am getting what I pay for and it comes back Ping 14 ms, download 76.32, Upload 5.84 Mbps. We make heavy use of the internet in our house - I work from home 2-3 days in an average week, my wife works 2-3 days a week from home, and my son is a gamer. During the day while working from home I always have Pandora playing on my phone through my old stereo. (Been listening to a lot of Anders Osborne over the last few days, since the thread on his guitars getting stolen.)

Looked at my comcast bill and it allows me up 1021 GB of data per month before any additional charges. Looks like we barely reach half that in a typical month. And with school starting today it will probably drop significantly since the son won't be on th enet during the day anymore.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
No cable TV, internet only. Wifi all over the house & 4 tvs with digital antenna + Roku w/Sling TV/Netflix/Prime. Tivo on 1 tv. All that is less per month than our old cable tv bill for 2 tvs.

spoony

Reaction score
Have an antenna and get about 20 channels. Can't beat free.

s

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I'm holding out making any giant changes until 5G really gets rolled out. If its what they say it will be, we will do everything through the cellular networks and speeds that make fiber or cable unecessary.

Mika Skarp, CEO at Cloud Street says: ""Yes, most certainly 5G will replace Ethernet, but it will do much, much more, and it needs to. Though 5G won’t replace the fibre backhaul any time soon, the shelf-life and cost of fibre, and the lowering cost and dramatically improved flexibility of virtualized RAN make increasingly prohibitive. Software Defined Networks (SDC) and Network Function Virtualization within the 5G world, whether supported by small cells or full size base stations will not only cut the last mile of fibre to the core network, but will also provide for an array of intelligent, adaptive and even application-aware features that will make it a true game-changer in telecommunications for consumers and enterprises alike.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I'm holding out making any giant changes until 5G really gets rolled out. If its what they say it will be, we will do everything through the cellular networks and speeds that make fiber or cable unecessary.

Mika Skarp, CEO at Cloud Street says: ""Yes, most certainly 5G will replace Ethernet, but it will do much, much more, and it needs to. Though 5G won’t replace the fibre backhaul any time soon, the shelf-life and cost of fibre, and the lowering cost and dramatically improved flexibility of virtualized RAN make increasingly prohibitive. Software Defined Networks (SDC) and Network Function Virtualization within the 5G world, whether supported by small cells or full size base stations will not only cut the last mile of fibre to the core network, but will also provide for an array of intelligent, adaptive and even application-aware features that will make it a true game-changer in telecommunications for consumers and enterprises alike.
You're gonna be waiting a very long time before it's widely available like 4G. 5G has an extremely short range and the signal is easily blocked.

Elmore

Reaction score
I fired the Very Large Cable Company of America. Got a good HD antenna for local stuff through the air. Got a Roku internet TV front end box. Got Netflix and Amazon Prime. Season to your preference.

twst1up

Reaction score
I dont watch tv anymore. Just a bunch of shit I ain't missing out on.
YouTube and pirate bay are enough for me. plus, I can pull shit over the air.

If it wasn't for the kids I'd get rid of Netflix and hulu too.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
FWIW, I went to the Spectrum office to cancel my cable and they reduced the charges by quite a chunk of money.