Streaming TV

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Hulu for TV and YouTube TV for sports (baseball - I cancel after the season).

Sling was great for sports, but they took away my regional sports network.

Hulu LIVE sucks for sports.
Sling was good but they screwed it up.

Internet + Roku (one time purchase) + netflix + hulu + Prime = $55/month or there about.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Depends on HOW MUCH television you want to watch.

I d/l torrents for shows I specifically want to watch, or simply want to keep cause I probably want to watch it again. Like Breaking Bad or Games of Thrones.

Currently I subscribe to Netflix. Lot's of choices and options.
I don't watch enough "TV" to want to subscribe to multiple streaming sites.

But it you are all caught up on all the Netflix Specific series, like I am, I may consider looking at what Disney has to offer. Perhaps subscribe to Disney for 6months then Netflix for 6 months. I don't jones out for tv all that much so I don't need to have two streaming sites I pay for.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
plus if you hunt around there is a streaming service for almost everything. Yeah Hulu and Netflix are the big ones,.. but if you like Asian drama/sci-fi/horror like I do, there are services that only do that and they're cheap, ($4.99 a month.)

There's Crackle and Crunchyroll and Viki and AsianCrush, Playstation VUE, Youtube, that Roku that people are using... there really are a lot of options.

I haven't looked but there's probably streaming services for Sports and stuff too.

Wyatt Earp

Banned
Reaction score
We use Sling for its awesome DVR. Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix for expanded content.

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
MASN has a lock on Orioles and Nats baseball and I can see no way around not getting them without cable.I myself could really give a crap but my wife is addicted to those teams..

I would cut the cable no problem if I had my choice.Some of these stupid ass cable channels show the same crap shows every night ..

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
MASN has a lock on Orioles and Nats baseball and I can see no way around not getting them without cable.I myself could really give a crap but my wife is addicted to those teams..
It's the internet, there is always a way/workaround.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Tried watching it with my missus. She didn't want to watch after the rape scene. Maybe have to check again.
Incredible show. Very dark though. There's not a lot of the rapey stuff but its a central aspect of the story. A cautionary tale if you will... :)

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Incredible show. Very dark though. There's not a lot of the rapey stuff but its a central aspect of the story. A cautionary tale if you will... :)
I finally read the book last year. There's certainly enough material for a few seasons of TV.

James R

Reaction score
My girl won’t watch Handmaid’s Tale, and if she’s not home or busy doing something else, I stay away from watching tv all together.
Too many guitars (and video games) to play, no time for tv unless I’m spending time with Roxy, and even then, we tend to limit our tv time.
It’s good and bad, all at the same time.
Good because too much tv rots the brain, but bad because we have a watch list that’s a mile long and we just keep scratching stuff from it without actually watching the show first.

PeteK

Reaction score
We ditched our cable a few years ago. We use a Roku with Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBONow. Even the Roku channel has gotten better with some live streams. As far as sports, we kept the most basic package for tv service that came with the fiber internet, so we have the regular networks stations. I'm never lacking for something to watch.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sling was good but they screwed it up.

Internet + Roku (one time purchase) + netflix + hulu + Prime = $55/month or there about.
Internet (bottom tier) $79
Netflix (bottom tier) $13
Hulu (bottom tier) $ 6
Prime (video only) $9

Total $107
tax, fees $15
Cost per month $122

We did close to that same configuration, only we chose Sling, not Hulu. That added $12, so my monthly cost was right around $135.

Not that much less than a good cable package. That's why we gave up and went back. Easy-Peasy and no dealing with multiple providers... oh, and a guide, too.

Streaming was not worth it to us.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You don't use the internet aside from streaming tv and movies?
Of course I do. Internet is a constant. It's part of the cost with both streaming and with cable. I now get cable (including internet) for around $200. That's about $75 more than my cost for streaming (including internet).

For me, that's worth it. I'm not a TV junkie. I don't watch every "original series" on Netflix, or Prime. We occasionally watch new release films (which you pay extra for on all platforms).

Networks, some Cable Channels and Sports -- all airing live, comprises most of our watching habits.

I also find streaming a non-seamless experience. It's just not for me. But, my kids are professional streamers - LOL.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Internet (bottom tier) $79
Netflix (bottom tier) $13
Hulu (bottom tier) $ 6
Prime (video only) $9

Total $107
tax, fees $15
Cost per month $122

We did close to that same configuration, only we chose Sling, not Hulu. That added $12, so my monthly cost was right around $135.

Not that much less than a good cable package. That's why we gave up and went back. Easy-Peasy and no dealing with multiple providers... oh, and a guide, too.

Streaming was not worth it to us.
I was able to get straight internet for $39. I don't get Hulu of Netflix (my kids do). I had a subscription to Prime for $6.99/mo.

In all honesty, I can watch anything I want with an internet connection.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was able to get straight internet for $39. I don't get Hulu of Netflix (my kids do). I had a subscription to Prime for $6.99/mo.

In all honesty, I can watch anything I want with an internet connection.
Whoa... that is great!!! Who is your ISP?

Around my parts, I can choose between FIoS (Verizon) and Xfinity (Comcrap). The lowest tier on both is $79/month (50/50, 100/25). With Comcrap, we also get a basic TV plan with locals and some other junk, too.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
weird, you can get Verizon FIOS here for $39.99 (100Mpbs) which is plenty fast enough for work and streaming.

sounds like they're milking you