Streaming TV

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I may be finally fed up with my cable TV. My bill is now $231 a month for 4 TV's (I have 6 but don't even have them hooked up cause of cost) and my internet service, which is as good as it gets.

What do people use and what are round about costs?

I have always kept my TV service cause I want to be able to watch live sports and live news as well as a few shows live.

I really don't know shit about this.

Thoughts?

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
I have been streaming for 10 years. Including Comcast internet + Netflix, Hulu, I am just under $100 total. For sports the new Disney package with ESPN may be the way to go. Lots of options when it comes to streaming. Definitely check out Pluto tv just for the heck of it.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do you have 6 TVs?
Why not? I only have 4 hooked up. But I have a TV in the workout room that I just have hooked up to the net, and another in the spare bedroom I have hooked up to an old Vizio TV thing for guests.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I have DirectTV, but will be canceling as soon as the contract is up.

We also have Netflix, Hulu Premium, and Amazon Prime. That comes to about $34 per month. Obviously add in internet.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
I use:

- Netflix ($10/.month)
- Prime ($80/year but i get free shipping too)
- Crave TV (Canadian Service - $10/mo i think)

For sports, my dad uses "DAZN"....no idea how much that costs but it has a lot of stuff. But he's a soccer guy so I dunno what other sports are represented.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I haven't had cable in 5 years and haven't missed it one bit. I have Netflix, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video, the cheapo Hulu subscription. Every live sport I've wanted to watch I've watched on free HD streams, just takes the smallest amount of savvy to find and watch them. I also watch quite a bit of YouTube. There's always torrents and whatnot but I don't do that as much, I can find everything I want pretty easily.

Cable sucks, every so often I'm at a friend's place watching something on cable and I'm like "Oh yeah, you pay way more than I do to sit through ads" :laugh2:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I think I may be finally fed up with my cable TV. My bill is now $231 a month for 4 TV's (I have 6 but don't even have them hooked up cause of cost) and my internet service, which is as good as it gets.

What do people use and what are round about costs?

I have always kept my TV service cause I want to be able to watch live sports and live news as well as a few shows live.

I really don't know shit about this.

Thoughts?
I think the only way to beat the companies is to switch. I was a Bell Canada client for over 30 years and they jacked my last bills up to $275/month for phone/TV/unlimited internet. They did little to bring the bill down. A year ago, I got it down a bit, but only to see it jacked higher.

Along came a deal from Rogers for $130 a month for the same services, guaranteed for a year. So, despite the hassle, I quit Bell and took up the offer from Rogers. NOW, I get a weekly call from Bell for sweet deals that come close to the Rogers one.

DotStudio

Reaction score
To add to my previous post. The services are all good for different things. Hulu is good because it puts up new shows when they air. Netflix has some great original content and a pretty good stable of originals. Prime is really just a bonus thrown in with the shipping and music streaming that I use, but they're stepping up their original content (The Boys, Good Omens, etc.).

Oh and I bought a temporary Showtime streaming subscription because I wanted to catch up on Billions.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Why do you have 6 TVs?
So you don't have to carry one from room to room? I have one in the living room, bedroom, basement home theater, studio/guest room, and workout room. TV's are cheap and when I upgraded one it allowed me to move the existing into another area :dunno:

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and the regular Hulu (I think) We've been miliking my brother in laws Netflix for 6 years
So you're just missing sports I guess. Check out that DAZN app...you can get it on Apple TV for sure....not sure about other streaming devices though.

Leumas

Reaction score
I moved two years ago and just never got cable again. Plus I demanded new customer pricing for internet, so mine comes to about $80 a month for...
Cable (bare bones SD for local news and broadcast sports) $14
Netflix $14
Amazon prime works out to about $10
Internet $35

If I REALLY want to see a sporting event in HD I go down to the bar, and I will buy a season of a show for $30 a pop from time to time. I was paying $220 a month for internet, directv (2 tvs). I don't miss it at all.

Droog

Reaction score
Ditched cable a few years ago and don't miss it.

Seven

Reaction score
Haven't had satellite or cable in years. Netflix free with T-Mobile, Pluto free also, Sling Blue and Amazon.