Streaking in top of new Les Paul Standard 60’s

ebagjones

Reaction score
Hello all!

I bought a new Les Paul online and the pics looked good of the top, which is only a AA flame so I didn’t expect much, however I’ve noticed some weird streaking at certain angle. It’s right on the carve angle on the bass side. Looking at it straight on it’s not visible but at an angle it definitely is. Do you think it’s a finish streak or something in the wood grain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.
C276E69A-2398-471C-B35A-35BE9E24F34C.jpeg

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
We all have our pet peeves about certain things.
Wood is wood. And how we feel about it is very personal.
If that top bothers you send it back.
Life is short, you have to enjoy the special stuff you buy.
Otherwise it's gonna bother you to no end and it's just not right.

:thumb:

P.S.: That area is usually covered by your forearm as you play.
Just sayin'. Listen to your heart.

ebagjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone - I’ve owned enough production Gibsons to have serious QC fear, I’m fine with it being the wood but just wanted to make sure someone wasn’t sleeping on the finish and I honestly couldn’t tell because it seemed the same shade of brown as the outer burst.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Bookmatched wood is not exactly like a mirror image from one side to the other, it's more like one side is a negative of the other. One side will show dark where the other shows light, and vice-versa. I think it's a perfectly lovely guitar, and I would be delighted to own it so long as there are no qc issues.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bookmatched wood is not exactly like a mirror image from one side to the other, it's more like one side is a negative of the other. One side will show dark where the other shows light, and vice-versa. I think it's a perfectly lovely guitar, and I would be delighted to own it so long as there are no qc issues.
Can you explain this better, what do you mean one side is negative of the other ??

Nevermind..... I googled it... interesting.

Last edited:

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Not hugely important, but I should have mentioned it applies to curly maple, but not necessarily other woods. And thanks for the video!

Latest Threads