Strats are soulless and sterile

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Had the opportunity to play a couple of vintage Strats ( a '57 and a '62, both stock w/pro setups ) back in the 90's. Both incredible tone monsters-Leo got it right the first time! Anyone with appreciable skill would sound like a GOD on those. That was my limited experience on vintage Fender instruments. Every other 70's,80's and 90's Strat I played sounded "vanilla" and "generic." Don't get me wrong, I like Stratocasters and have owned 4 over the past 40 years. It takes work to play them, I guess that's why only the best players are instantly recognizable using them?
Could be.

I was thinking about the now one tone Strat players and realized they don’t need to pull their own sound out of the guitar, as they can just go get another guitar for that sound. In the past you might have one guitar, one amp and you were forced to make it work for whatever gig you were playing.

NotScott

Reaction score
Nope, no soul and sterile. Everybody knows that about CBS Strats and Norlin Les Pauls. I think the tonz would leak out the micro-tilt hole which would leave players having to stick toothpicks in it as plugs.
Those 3-bolt micro-tilt necks sucked balls! I remember my 78 would shift all over the place and throw the guitar wildly out of tune. I was about to drill it for the proper 4 bolt configuration until someone turned me on to the piece of window screen in the neck pocket to fix it.

Other than that, the weak pickups and the fact that it weighed more than my Les Paul, it was a fine example of Fender's dark ages and what sent me over to Charvel and Kubicki. Fender didn't start to wake up until Dan Smith came on-board in 1981.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 3-bolt micro-tilt necks sucked balls! I remember my 78 would shift all over the place and throw the guitar wildly out of tune. I was about to drill it for the proper 4 bolt configuration until someone turned me on to the piece of window screen in the neck pocket to fix it.

Other than that, the weak pickups and the fact that it weighed more than my Les Paul, it was a fine example of Fender's dark ages and what sent me over to Charvel and Kubicki. Fender didn't start to wake up until Dan Smith came on-board in 1981.
I had one from the same era in high school. Terrible guitar.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Could be.

I was thinking about the now one tone Strat players and realized they don’t need to pull their own sound out of the guitar, as they can just go get another guitar for that sound. In the past you might have one guitar, one amp and you were forced to make it work for whatever gig you were playing.
i never bring two guitars anywhere. i play my LP till i get bored of it, then i switch to the Strat till i get bored of it, then i go back to the LP.
i can pull a country twang out of either one. you just gotta pick a little closer to the bridge on the bridge pickup. and when it's time to beast up, they can both do it, especially with fuzz.
the strat is probably more versatile, but what the fuck is versatile? i'm not trying to sound like someone else. i'm just playing the songs, and however they come out is how they come out.
my gear sounds good. my playing is ok for what i do.
i'm not trying to nail anyone's tone.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... The bridge pickup is useless too...
I had the amazing local tech guy (Mike Koontz, Gus Zoppi Music Center, Warren, MI) wire the bridge pickup to have tone control, it made a great deal of difference in the sound, not so much stab you in the ears.

Had the opportunity to play a couple of vintage Strats ( a '57 and a '62, both stock w/pro setups ) back in the 90's. Both incredible tone monsters-Leo got it right the first time! Anyone with appreciable skill would sound like a GOD on those. That was my limited experience on vintage Fender instruments. Every other 70's,80's and 90's Strat I played sounded "vanilla" and "generic." Don't get me wrong, I like Stratocasters and have owned 4 over the past 40 years. It takes work to play them, I guess that's why only the best players are instantly recognizable using them?
I had a '61, a '66, a '72 and a '73 when they were still just old guitars.

I liked the sound and the feel of the '66 best. Best over-all sound and the biggest, fattest neck I ever played on Strat.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay, some folks just don't like the sound of a Strat, I guess. I tried to get along with Gibsons for many years, and I still love some of the sounds they make, but I like playing Strats best. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing, right?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, some folks just don't like the sound of a Strat, I guess. I tried to get along with Gibsons for many years, and I still love some of the sounds they make, but I like playing Strats best. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing, right?
Lefty!

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
After adding 36 guitars to my collection in 3 years, including 6 LPS.. the guitar that cured my GAS was a fender custom shop 54' strat. Haven't bought another guitar since and it's been nearly 3 years.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
whoa!!!!! hey man!!!!

Latest Threads