Stratocaster TWINS. "Why do you have two of the same?"

Leee

Reaction score
I have a pair of Stratocaster twins now.
I did the black plastic kit for my '99 Hardtail because I hate tortoise, and the cream pickups and knobs just didn't work for me.
It's still bone stock. No other mods to it aside from cosmetics.
I strung it with DR 9-41 nickel strings, nice and slinky now!

So it now looks similar to my 2006-ish Partscaster I built with Fender Dove P-90s.
Highway One neck, which was basically the modern 4-bolt American Standard neck with the big CBS/seventies headstock.
Swithcraft SG-style toggle, CTS pots, and American Standard trem/bridge.

And now the questions begin, especially from the non-guitar people we encounter...
"Why do you have two of the same?"

OK, look. They are NOT the same.
Well, yes, they both have Ash bodies. But look how different the grain is!

:rofl:

IMG_5299 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5329 - Copy.JPG

Leee

Reaction score
The hardtail is textbook Strat.
Thin and spanky with a little snarl when when cranked.

The P-90 Strat is clean but not as sparkly when the volume is low. Still sounds like a sweet Strat, but as soon as the volume starts climbing it begins to get mean.
Past 7, you’re outta normal Strat tones and into some serious growl.

Imagine a friendly Golden Lab wagging his tail, and then starts barking like a Rottweiler.

Leee

Reaction score
Only a wife or girlfriend would say they are the same.
Friend of hers.
She’s fascinated by all the guitars in the house, between me and the oldest boy who moved back in for awhile.

Leee

Reaction score
I guess I coulda posted before/after pics of the hardtail, to illustrate the difference.

From tortoise and creme to Hell Yeah Black.

IMG_5256 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5295 - Copy.JPG

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
They are more like sisters than twins.
Kind of look alike but sound different.
Different characters, different sensibility and tone.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Nice pair. :dude:

Not a fan of Tort myself, so I definitely prefer the blackguard version.

I've been struggling with this lately: Trying to rationalise my guitar collection so that I only have one of each type and no duplicates. Compared them all back to back: My Tele and my Esquire, my 60s Tribute GT and my Junior. Came to the conclusion that I should make the Esquire into a Tele and then sell the other Tele...too similar, but the Esquire has a fatter neck I prefer. Similar with the GT and the Junior: The GT bridge sounds close enough to the Junior, so it's down to looks and necks again. Guess I'll sell the Junior and keep the GT even with it's 60s neck. Going to sell a Gretsch as I just haven't bonded with it after 2 years.

Having decided all the above I ordered a 'spare' neck for my Strat yesterday: My Strat is 38 years old and has already had one refret (maple 'board) and won't take another. The frets are starting to wear again. I figured a spare neck would be a good option and I'll keep the original one. However, the spare neck is a very fat one and Rosewood, so I have a feeling this might just evolve into a second Strat. :D I suppose that the 38 year one can be used more sparingly and they will be 50s and 60s spec (apart from the fat neck) so some differences: I'm sure my wife won't notice though (I'm banking on it ;) ).

Leee

Reaction score
Sounds like some serious deliberate thought is bringing you the right answers.

:dude:

rogue3

Reaction score
I have a pair of Stratocaster twins now.
I did the black plastic kit for my '99 Hardtail because I hate tortoise, and the cream pickups and knobs just didn't work for me.
It's still bone stock. No other mods to it aside from cosmetics.
I strung it with DR 9-41 nickel strings, nice and slinky now!

So it now looks similar to my 2006-ish Partscaster I built with Fender Dove P-90s.
Highway One neck, which was basically the modern 4-bolt American Standard neck with the big CBS/seventies headstock.
Swithcraft SG-style toggle, CTS pots, and American Standard trem/bridge.

And now the questions begin, especially from the non-guitar people we encounter...
"Why do you have two of the same?"

OK, look. They are NOT the same.
Well, yes, they both have Ash bodies. But look how different the grain is!

:rofl:

View attachment 517745 View attachment 517746
beautiful strats! Ash bodies rule,in my book. :dude:

Guilty as charged here too! they are in my sig.Tele twins. Light swamp ash.But honest they are different! Just the same model, about 4 mos apart in birthdate.They are the most versatile guitars i have ever owned,which is one reason why i like them.And the sound.awesome.

diavolo

Reaction score
twins isnt bad. im a fiend. i have 4 pairs of different colored strat bodies.
i have a white pair, a black pair, a sunburst pair, and a blue pair.
each color pair has 1 with a maple and 1 with a rosewood fingerboard.
different pickups and pickup configurations. usually either in a black or mint pickguard with a couple tortoise exceptions.

the more the merrier!!!!

PAPADON

Reaction score
A couple of partscasters

Cheap version
1616282781736.png

Expensive version
1616282913085.png

The worst part is I like the cheap one better

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I coulda posted before/after pics of the hardtail, to illustrate the difference.
I'm more curious about the American Special/Highway One neck on a body with 2-post trem and micro-tilt ;)

Latest Threads