strat wiring problem

splatter

Reaction score
I realize you guys are over qualified for this but I don't know where else to post it .
I have a HSH strat . I want basic strat wiring
1 bridge
2 middle and bridge
3 middle
4 middle and neck
6 neck

I wired it like this diagram
http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...tics.php?schematic=lilhum_sing_lilhum_1v_2t_5

I now have 500k cts pots in all positions . The trouble I'm having now is the tone pots do nothing . I have tried several different caps to no avail . Also all positions sound muddy as if the tone pots were engaged .

David Collins

Reaction score
Either of those problems alone would be a bit more simple to appraise, but put together seems a bit more odd to reconcile. Can you give the wiring another visual review and confirm that each point is connected exactly as portrayed in the diagram, making especially sure that no other inadvertent connections are present? I can think of some possible explanations, but to account for all these symptoms would seem to require several easily apparent deviations from the drawing. Perhaps a pic would help.

Edit: as to one of the no-loads having no continuity from the center to either outer wiper (I assume this was checked in various positions on appropriate meter settings), no, this is not normal and would indicate a flawed pot. It should be noted that linear pots are not typically considered suitable for tone controls anyway, as even when they do work proper they will act pretty much like a tone on/off switch, with the vast bulk of the change being focused around 1-2 on the dial.

splatter

Reaction score
I changed the pots out so I updated my origional post .
and I will post it here also

I now have 500k cts pots in all positions . The trouble I'm having now is the tone pots do nothing . I have tried several different caps to no avail . Also all positions sound muddy as if the tone pots were engaged .

pics coming

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
what size capacitor are you using?
and I can't see clearly if the cap is running through the second tone caps T1 terminal or not.

I'm gonna blow these photos up really big on my BIG screen TV. so I'll be right back.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
OK I've looked it over very carefully. on 60" of 1080P HD screen :D

and while I mean no disrespect. your wiring work is not clean enough. but from what I can see it IS wired correctly.

So, at this point, I would look VERY closely at the switch to make sure that none of the contacts are bent or damaged in any way.
If you have a Multimeter I would check continuity from the pickup terminals all the way through the switch to each tone control, until you find the point of loss.

also make sure you tone cap is of the proper value. like a .01 .02 or .047 anything .00X would be too small to hear much change.

also and this is just one fo those things that CAN happen.. check your pot terminals as the CTS pots use a crimp connection from the terminal tot he wafer board and if they get stressed too much they can lose their connection. just wiggle them with the guitar plugged in and see if your tone starts working. ( turn the tones all the way down first)

NOTE: when using a Full size shield plate/tape like that, your short black ground jumper wires between pots actually become a "ground loop" ..which is not something you want to have in your guitar..

David Collins

Reaction score
I agree with Bruce that although the wires all appear to be going to the right points, it's just so messy that there are a plethora of areas for problems. Even on my phone I can see what appear to be blobs of solder flowed over the edge of at least one of the tone pots toward the lug side of the wafer. Lots of places where inadvertent shorts could be occurring when joints aren't executed cleanly and intentionally.

In addition to this, the look of those joints and amount of solder on the casings lead me to wonder if the pots (and perhaps even the cap) may not have been heat damaged. From oxidizing/frying the contacts of the lugs to the ring, to melting the plastic base that holds the wiper, there are a lot of ways you can damage a pot if you apply too much heat.

The order and arrangement all look right, but there could be any number of unintentional shorts or damaged components there which aren't easily spotted in photos.

Edit: Look at all that solder flowed up along the lugs and down the side of the casing of that last tone pot. There's one point that strikes me right away as a likely suspect, but there could easily be others.

Jozeph

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not. This is the wiring on my SSS.
690366128a6c359dd02bf6b13a63d7d3_zps98131cb5.jpg

Your middle pot looks like it has seen better days. And the wires from the switch look damaged, according to diagram you have to many wires going to the switch on the pickup side of it, not sure if that is due to the hum bucked or not, looks like 1 wire to 2 different parts of the switch Not sure if any of that is causing your issue, just what I noticed

splatter

Reaction score
turned out the shielded wire I was using for the input jack had a 7k short .

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Little time and patience guys, it's all it takes.

H838OXa.jpg

scimitar

Reaction score
Not sure from your last reply if you had already fixed the problem but looking at your switch wiring compared to the Seymour Duncan wiring, their's has a switch terminal with no connection but you have a wire soldered there so that needs removing.

splatter

Reaction score
Not sure from your last reply if you had already fixed the problem but looking at your switch wiring compared to the Seymour Duncan wiring, their's has a switch terminal with no connection but you have a wire soldered there so that needs removing.

yes this was resolved. The shielded cable I used for the input had a 7K short.

Latest Threads