Strat versus Jazzmaster

Roman4405

Reaction score
Never owned a Jazzmaster but I really want one. My #1 right now is my MIJ Tele, followed closely by my MiM Strat. Been thinking of getting a Roadworn Strat also. I love my Tele but there’s something about the Strat that checks all the boxes for me.

Reactions: Arf

Arf

Reaction score
Never owned a Jazzmaster but I really want one. My #1 right now is my MIJ Tele, followed closely by my MiM Strat. Been thinking of getting a Roadworn Strat also. I love my Tele but there’s something about the Strat that checks all the boxes for me.
I like to kid people about Jazzmasters because I think their kind of a cheese log. And I have one. I seldom if ever play it but I can say that it possibly has the most comfortable body of any guitar I can think of even if I am primarily a Strat player.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrived yesterday.. what a player, what a tone machine.. STUNNING! When I finally stop being lazy and assemble my pedal board, I think I’m gonna try pumping a Holy Grail into this RV-6 for some ultra surfy reverb madness.. but, I also think I may need to get both a Strat and a Tele from this AM pro II line, very impressed!

B98C098D-DC24-49E9-A053-76DA7E09DF8A.jpeg
00C339AB-A3A2-4A56-A3BA-633226A79EFF.jpeg

Sounds so sexy with fuzz.. and of course, didn’t neglect my main bitch, she got fondled as well.. giving the neighbors a break today, went a little hog wild yesterday:cool2:

3487DCE5-1A2C-47A7-9E90-6ED567729606.jpeg

sonar1

Reaction score
Like it better without all the extra controls. Nice guitar.
Vintage Jazzmasters have their charms: all kinds of extraneous noises come from behind the bridge.
The newer pickups are more all around workhorse. Mine was a versatile guitar.
After my Desert Star Tele, I STILL May have Lt Dave build me a JM pattern.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
in a fight? the Jazzmaster would beat the Strat, it wouldn't even be a contest. What's the beef? The Strat knows what it did, don't worry about it...

• Haha

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OH COME ON!
Well, then don't talk to me like a dickhead. You want to start over? I'm game. I don't dislike Strats, in fact I own 3. 4 if you count the squier that I have stripped down and don't know what to do with.

My favorite is an unmodified 2001 american standard that just has "it". I've had to play literally hundreds of strats to find that quality. My next is a Mexican that I swapped to a two P90 configuration. That guitar is a killer and I pick it up way more than a lot more expensive guitars that I have. My last is a 2014 American standard that I bought new and unplayed from sweetwater. Big mistake. It has zero faults excpet it has been nothing but a colossal turd since the day I got it.

Is it the most popular and loved guitar ever? That's totally subjective. Because it's quite possibly the cheapest design of guitar to produce literally EVERY budget manufacturer will turn to it for their entry level model, resulting in almost every "kid" or new player getting one as a first guitar, and it being the most recognizable by definition. I happen to think they're beautiful also, even though I don't like playing them as much as other models.

In my own, and only my own opinion, here's the pros and cons.

Pros:

- The string alignment at the headstock. With a decked trem it's rock solid tuning wise.
- The individual saddle adjustments for intonation AND string height
- The 25.5 scale length is very comfortable.
- If something goes wrong it's easy to replace piece by piece.
- The body shape is very comfortable.

Cons:

- I stand by my opinion that the strat has thin sounding pickups. Most of the most notable strat players have relied on heavy processing, heavy distortion, or just flat out volume to get the tones we love. That's my opinion.
- The tremolo system is garbage. The locking nut and the floyd rose trem system were invented solely because this was a good idea executed extremely poorly. In fact, EVH with his humbucker and the entire super-strat industry were created on improving on the flawed parts of the guitars they loved.
- The switch and knob placement doesn't work for me. I play near the bridge and I'm constantly knocking my volume down during normal playing.

There are other things fender has fixed over the years in response to complaints...the 5 way switch, the bridge tone control, the truss rod being accessible from the top of the neck, etc.

• Haha

Arf

Reaction score
Well, then don't talk to me like a dickhead. You want to start over? I'm game. I don't dislike Strats, in fact I own 3. 4 if you count the squier that I have stripped down and don't know what to do with.

My favorite is an unmodified 2001 american standard that just has "it". I've had to play literally hundreds of strats to find that quality. My next is a Mexican that I swapped to a two P90 configuration. That guitar is a killer and I pick it up way more than a lot more expensive guitars that I have. My last is a 2014 American standard that I bought new and unplayed from sweetwater. Big mistake. It has zero faults excpet it has been nothing but a colossal turd since the day I got it.

Is it the most popular and loved guitar ever? That's totally subjective. Because it's quite possibly the cheapest design of guitar to produce literally EVERY budget manufacturer will turn to it for their entry level model, resulting in almost every "kid" or new player getting one as a first guitar, and it being the most recognizable by definition. I happen to think they're beautiful also, even though I don't like playing them as much as other models.

In my own, and only my own opinion, here's the pros and cons.

Pros:

- The string alignment at the headstock. With a decked trem it's rock solid tuning wise.
- The individual saddle adjustments for intonation AND string height
- The 25.5 scale length is very comfortable.
- If something goes wrong it's easy to replace piece by piece.
- The body shape is very comfortable.

Cons:

- I stand by my opinion that the strat has thin sounding pickups. Most of the most notable strat players have relied on heavy processing, heavy distortion, or just flat out volume to get the tones we love. That's my opinion.
- The tremolo system is garbage. The locking nut and the floyd rose trem system were invented solely because this was a good idea executed extremely poorly. In fact, EVH with his humbucker and the entire super-strat industry were created on improving on the flawed parts of the guitars they loved.
- The switch and knob placement doesn't work for me. I play near the bridge and I'm constantly knocking my volume down during normal playing.

There are other things fender has fixed over the years in response to complaints...the 5 way switch, the bridge tone control, the truss rod being accessible from the top of the neck, etc.
Don't be a baby.

Arf

Reaction score
in a fight? the Jazzmaster would beat the Strat, it wouldn't even be a contest. What's the beef? The Strat knows what it did, don't worry about it...
Yes a Jazzmaster would make a bigger club. But in a music fight a Jazzmaster wouldn't even last one note.

Arf

Reaction score
Vintage Jazzmasters have their charms: all kinds of extraneous noises come from behind the bridge.
The newer pickups are more all around workhorse. Mine was a versatile guitar.
After my Desert Star Tele, I STILL May have Lt Dave build me a JM pattern.
Yes, I have a 59. I think what I like less than the pickups are all that string length behind the bridge, that's where the banjo tone comes from.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a '59 Jazz and you dislike it, why not sell it? I wish I'd kept my '63. Can't afford to replace it now, so I make do with a similarly built Squier VM Jazzmaster.

Arf

Reaction score
It's a family thing; my brother traded a hunting rifle for it in 72 when i was 11 and gave me the strat my dad gave him. He gave up music in 82 and left it with me and never wanted it back. I don't think I ever played it live but I did 100's of gigs with a few different people paying it. Although I find the design dorky it is a very high quality guitar. I've also said a few times here it could be the most comfortable guitar ever when strapped on.

Arf

Reaction score
That's a laugh! When were you "courteous" and who do you think you are "giving me a chance"? All you've done so far is be a thin skinned whining little potty mouth who can't take a joke. A little chiding and you come apart at the seams and start right in calling foul names and crying like a little bitch. You are the one who can, as you say, "go fuck yourself"

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a laugh! When were you "courteous" and who do you think you are "giving me a chance"? All you've done so far is be a thin skinned whining little potty mouth who can't take a joke. A little chiding and you come apart at the seams and start right in calling foul names and crying like a little bitch. You are the one who can, as you say, "go fuck yourself"
I believe it was you who got a huge strat boner when I voiced the opinion that I think they’re difficult to get along with, then argued it’s my fault they have the flaws that they do. Then you got snarky with me so I responded. Then I tried to have a serious conversation about the guitar and you completely ignored that and wanted to swing your internet dick, and so you did.

So, as it stands, I believe you to be a fucking idiot and will not be shy in sharing that with you any time we should interact in the future. Fuckface.

Arf

Reaction score
Jazzmasters are cool, but I'd rather have the Jaguar to surf with.

But I kinda hate the trems on both.
So.......

Strat Strat Strat!!!
Usually not a fan of red strats - but that's just badass. LOVE it. Ever think of getting the reverse bridge pickup?

Latest Threads