strat value check

redcoats1976

Reaction score
saw a nice strat build at my local flea market this week.quilted sunburst body,neck with a good bunch of figuring in it and an american standard pickguard with humbucker in the bridge position.not sure if the body is a real fender body,neck is not fender although it has a fender decal on it.roller bridge and nut,everything looks good and appears to be high quality.300 was the asking price...should i have snagged it?

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid about $300 (maybe $350) for a MIM Strat off Craigslist and the guy threw in a Line6 practice amp. I love it and it's been a great guitar.

Today I just modded it with a treble bleed and I love it even more.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
already have a classic 60s strat,but this one got me thinking.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would need pictures, but with those features and the quilted top, $300 could have been the deal of the century... or a slightly high price for a fake.
Quilted sunburst is the first red flag for me... Fender did some "Foto-Flame" models out of Japan, but quilted would have been pretty rare.
If the humbucker was mounted with only 2 screws, then it's likely an aftermarket pickguard. Fender uses 3 screws to mount humbuckers on most models (I think some Japanese models used 2).
The roller nut was only on a few models in the late 80s and early 90s.

At $300, I would suspect it's a partscaster, previously stolen, or the current owner has no idea what they have.

Ironically, Fenders are extremely easy to fake, but at the same time, the fakes are typically extremely easy to spot.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Would need pictures, but with those features and the quilted top, $300 could have been the deal of the century... or a slightly high price for a fake.
Quilted sunburst is the first red flag for me... Fender did some "Foto-Flame" models out of Japan, but quilted would have been pretty rare.
If the humbucker was mounted with only 2 screws, then it's likely an aftermarket pickguard. Fender uses 3 screws to mount humbuckers on most models (I think some Japanese models used 2).
The roller nut was only on a few models in the late 80s and early 90s.

At $300, I would suspect it's a partscaster, previously stolen, or the current owner has no idea what they have.

Ironically, Fenders are extremely easy to fake, but at the same time, the fakes are typically extremely easy to spot.
i know darn well its a partscaster,but it appears to be a good one unless the body is total junk.will have to see about the humbucker mounting screws,thats good info.the roller nut and neck are aftermarket for sure,and the neck is aftermarket with a fender decal,but it plays nice.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know darn well its a partscaster,but it appears to be a good one unless the body is total junk.will have to see about the humbucker mounting screws,thats good info.the roller nut and neck are aftermarket for sure,and the neck is aftermarket with a fender decal,but it plays nice.
If it plays nice, then it's worth $300 with those features ;)

Latest Threads