Strat or Tele?

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
A tele can be as versatile as you want/need it to be, even with just the standard two single-coil pickup configuration. My #1 tele is wired with a Super 5-way switch, which adds the fatter, more humbucker-like N+B in series and the super honky, "old timey" sounding N+B in series out-of-phase. I also had the bridge pup wound with a coil-tap boost that works off a push/pull on the tone pot, which tacks on a little more than an Ohm and is perfect for solos.

Big-time secret weapons, but it still looks like a classic butterscotch blackguard (aside from a few personal aesthetic tweaks).

View attachment 295232
Right on. Mine is from 1977. I installed a Fralin Broadcaster pickup set, and a MSSC harness, and Shaller tuners.

cjpeck

Reaction score
bwahahahahahaha all the angst re: tele/strat on a lester forum! Oh the irony!

Most of you'ns are messing up the intention of the OP, it's which one to get FRST, not which one to get and leave it lonely by itself in a crowd of Les Pauls.
I still say tele first, the strat next week. You have to have both. Then a Jazzmaster next month.

Ain't nothing going to spank like a tele with an old school low output lap steel pickup in the bridge position. with the big fat steel plate under there. Like Leo intended. A strat can get really close but it'll always be just a little bit polite about it. Plus you can knock down drunks with the tele and it won't go out of tune.

All you guys talkin' about humbuckers on strats and teles need to be taken out back and shot. jeez. That just ain't right. A B-bender is alright, but the rest of those mods are right out.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never saw this! Thanks bp!!!!!! Now that's what I'm talkin bout!
That’s just a good ole live ripper from Pages with the Tele....one of my favorite vids!! Glad y’all liked it,brother!
Ya know,if it was me, I think I would like a good Tele first. I had a strat back in the 90s and I can wait on another one. However,those EJ strats are just really damn good guitars,so,Yaaaa, I want both. :laugh2::cheers2:

KP11520

Reaction score
That’s just a good ole live ripper from Pages with the Tele....one of my favorite vids!! Glad y’all liked it,brother!
Ya know,if it was me, I think I would like a good Tele first. I had a strat back in the 90s and I can wait on another one. However,those EJ strats are just really damn good guitars,so,Yaaaa, I want both. :laugh2::cheers2:
Yeah, I want both. I need to finish my Tele before... I start a Strat (say that 10 times fast) LOL. If FreddyG lived closer, I'd have him tweak it to perfection. But shipping quotes are over $80 each way with adequate insurance. Freddy is worth every penny, but shipping hurts! Freddy.... Move closer!

Resized_20170228_234626.jpeg

Last edited:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I want both. I need to finish my Tele before... I start a Strat (say that 10 times fast) LOL. If FreddyG lived closer, I'd have him tweak it to perfection. But shipping quotes are over $80 each way with adequate insurance. Freddy.... Move closer!

View attachment 295254
Damn!! Ain’t that a beauty!!!??!!!

Roxy13

Reaction score
It seems pretty evenly divided, lol! So, to the OP, I guess go try several of each and buy the one that speaks to you.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a tough choice, but I would probably go with a Tele, particularly if it has the wide range humbucker in the neck position. Lots of tones in the Customs and Deluxes.

DSC_0060.JPG

For me, Strats might as well not have a pickup selector switch. The only tone I find to be all that usable is the neck (and occasionally the neck/middle). That one position is great, though.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
No brainer. Strat all the way. Better tones, more tones, comfortable shape, light weight. Just a joy to wear and a joy to play.

Only one problem: I like Teles better. They just got it going on.

rikko

Reaction score
I can get Strat sounds out of my Tele-
And then some!

And the Strat has become the Toyota Corolla of guitars.

I feel like the great thing about it is the simplicity-
Two pups, tone, volume, and a 3-way selector.

This simplicity allows the player's sound to come through.

I will get a Strat someday, but I'm glad I picked up me Tele first!!!