Strat or Tele?

cjpeck

Reaction score
You need both. Both first you need a tele.

People will say strat, and you really need a strat as well. But tele first. then a strat next week. There isn't anything you can't do on a tele. Well dive-bombs on a wammy bar, but that's for wankers anyways. All you wankers that just got PO'd, that was a joke. So was that.
A strat can do 95% of what a tele can do, but it can't get over that last little bit and really snap and twang like a tele. And for punk stuff the tele is just a little bit more in your face with it, a strat is just a weeeeee bit too civilized.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
A tele can be as versatile as you want/need it to be, even with just the standard two single-coil pickup configuration. My #1 tele is wired with a Super 5-way switch, which adds the fatter, more humbucker-like N+B in series and the super honky, "old timey" sounding N+B in series out-of-phase. I also had the bridge pup wound with a coil-tap boost that works off a push/pull on the tone pot, which tacks on a little more than an Ohm and is perfect for solos.

Big-time secret weapons, but it still looks like a classic butterscotch blackguard (aside from a few personal aesthetic tweaks).

20170212_173215.jpg

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have and play both so my short answer would be you need both.

If forced to pick on tone, I think a Tele has an easier time getting Strat neck and in-between tones than a Strat has of getting any Tele tones. A good Tele bridge pup through a screaming amp is damn near a religious experience. A lot of players who want a Strat can't wait to rip out the Strat bridge pup and place a humbucker in there or rewire their tone control to work on the bridge pup. So tone-wise, I would go with the Tele.

For comfort and appearance, it's a Strat all day long. It melts into your hands and looks so much cooler than a Tele. Can you picture Jimi rockin' a Tele at Woodstock? Neither can I.

All that being said, the deciding factor for me would be what type of material I like to play and for me, that favors a Strat. If you like Tele sounds and Strat sounds equally though, you will eventually get both.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Tele with Tele bridge pickup, Strat middle pickup and humbucker split neck pickup and a Bigsby.

Chicago John

Reaction score
Strats win on versatility with the 5 position switch to get the honky tones in positions 2 and 4, plus the whammy. Plus they have a subtle built-in reverb with the springs. Nothing else sounds like that. A really nice, light strat is all I would need if I could only have one guitar.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
A tele can be as versatile as you want/need it to be, even with just the standard two single-coil pickup configuration. My #1 tele is wired with a Super 5-way switch, which adds the fatter, more humbucker-like N+B in series and the super honky, "old timey" sounding N+B in series out-of-phase. I also had the bridge pup wound with a coil-tap boost that works off a push/pull on the tone pot, which tacks on a little more than an Ohm and is perfect for solos.

Big-time secret weapons, but it still looks like a classic butterscotch blackguard (aside from a few personal aesthetic tweaks).

View attachment 295232

and another vote for the Tele ( although I have both __ and wouldn't want to get rid of either one )

also . because Prince :thumb:

http://prince.org/msg/7/233250
4t695zb.jpg

MooCheng

Reaction score
if your looking to make a decision you really need to play both then decide. Strats and Tele's a poles apart, about the only thing in common is scale length.

surprising the number of tele players are not so keen on strats and visa versa.
on the other hand just get a Tele 'cos they are the dogs doo dah's

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paisley tele with a floyd and humbucker