Straps, achey breakey backs

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
So! I got a nice 60s standard a couple months ago as my first gibson. I love it.
Its heavy af and i love that too but standing and jamming with friends after awhile its killing me.
So im on the lookout for a nice strap cause my lil jack daniels strap i got way back when with no padding and skinny isnt doing it.
Im looking for something stretchy and padded. A friend of mine had one i loved but for the life of us we cant figure out what it was (he lost it in a move)
It was made with a material sorta like some stretchy shorts and the material was woven around a similarly stretchy pad. The main strap was rather wide but tapered down to smaller points and the adjust buckles were rather skinny plastic.

If you have any idea who made this strap great if not id really like some reccomendations on some good straps.
Thank you for your knowledge

Howard2k

Reaction score
Ultimately the weight distribution is they key. Probably more important than the fabric and padding. My straps are all a minimum of 2.5 Inches. I wouldn’t go thinner and would actually even consider 3”.

DADGAD

Reaction score
The GSL-5 link strap is about 2 3/4” wide and the links feel like suspension for the guitar. Very comfortable
on the shoulder and back for extended sessions. Like mentioned earlier the width is more important than the material. You can find these on eBay if you are interested.

8DE1724C-0C97-4691-88C1-6241AC7259FD.jpeg

meatball

Reaction score
I have been using the Comfort brand strap for 7 years now ,, Its the only one that I can use ,, All the others cut into my shoulder

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
I’d go wide, 3” minimum. I think that’s the most important factor.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The GSL-5 link strap is about 2 3/4” wide and the links feel like suspension for the guitar. Very comfortable
on the shoulder and back for extended sessions. Like mentioned earlier the width is more important than the material. You can find these on eBay if you are interested.

View attachment 460955

Search for a thread I did on this strap a while ago. I know the guy in the UK who makes/sources these. He's super helpful and can get you hooked up. It's great strap!

Page Strap.jpg

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a Fretsling, great for HEAVY guitars.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with the rest, wider is better. Paracord does not work well as a guitar strap, especially a Les Paul.

Not to state the obvious, but be mindful of slide adjusters/buckles and where they are after you adjust your strap length so you don't gouge your guitar. Don't ask why I mention it.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Search for a thread I did on this strap a while ago. I know the guy in the UK who makes/sources these. He's super helpful and can get you hooked up. It's great strap!

View attachment 460989
That’s awesome! I may grab more. ive got 4 of them at the moment. i may add another. The pic caption is funny. O2 2010.

Close enough. O2 was 2007.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Weight distribution over a wider area - 3" is ideal, and the right density of padding inside the strap to shield from pounding away at your pressure points. Sure hope you can pick a great one.

Iron Blimp

Reaction score
At least 2.5” wide. Also make sure the part on your shoulder is either Swede or something not smooth so the neck doesn’t drop.
CAB73E74-5E77-45B1-AD69-A8D2DBF56E48.jpeg

LarryP

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest Well-Hung straps on reverb. I own 3 now , anything over 9 pounds gets one of his unique great looking straps.

Last edited:

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest Well Hung straps on reverb. I own 3 now , anything over 9 pounds gets one of his unique great looking straps.
Yeah i got a pm from them and im trying to decide which one i want rn xD

Lungo

Reaction score
Sounds like you got the strap situation figured out. Only thing I’ll add is that guitar will magically lose weight the more you hold it. :thumb:

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Sounds like you got the strap situation figured out. Only thing I’ll add is that guitar will magically lose weight the more you hold it.
Idk man, its pretty damn heavy. I havnt been able to weigh it yet but its definitely over 12 lbs.
Its funny its like a dang anchor compared to my quilt top.

Latest Threads