Straplocks? Does anyone use them?

Telechamp

Reaction score
Schallers on my Rics and a Tele. Grolsch or Grolsch-type washers on the rest - unless the strap buttons are big (like on my PRS).

questionman

Reaction score
I use the Dunlop ones, only mechanical locks I’ve had that don’t fail me*

*with the exception of my 12lb Standard. Bought that guitar in 2013 and played it a LOT, finally 3-4 months ago the Dunlop ones I bought a week after getting that guitar failed. But what do you expect from that much weight over pretty abusive conditions for so long?

Aside from that one example, they have been flawless. Tried the Schallers, ugly and clunky. Dunlop’s just work and are reliable

jamhandy

Reaction score
Yet another strap lock thread?

My 1980 Gibson Les Paul Artisan (in my avatar) weighs 13lbs 6 oz... dropped it on day one... got leather strap locks on day 2... they've been on this guitar for 40 years and have never failed...

They look like this... easy-on, easy-off, don't protrude in a big long button like Schallers do...
Leather Strap Lock - 01.jpg

This fellow makes straps, leather strap locks like in the above picture, and sells over-sized strap buttons (similar to the PRS buttons... plus he's a MyLesPaul member..

Here's the big buttons

Here's the leather strap locks (can be made in any color it says)

Last edited:

Latearrival

Reaction score
I don't know how people are getting Schallers to "fail on them"??

The only reasons they can fail (in my experience) is due to them not being installed correctly in the first place! The common mistakes are:

1) Not enlarging the hole in the strap enough, so the nut and washer doesn't really "bite" down hard enough

2) Not tightening the nut hard enough. Use a vice to hold the body of the lock, and tighten the nut with a spanner - NOT just "finger tight"!

3) Nut working loose over time...This is usually a side-effect of 1) and 2) above. I check the nuts on my straplocks from time to time, but haven't needed to tighten them up for maybe 10 years?

4) Installing the "cups" that hold the part that is screwed to the guitar upside down (so that they face outwards from the strap, instead of inwards!).

The only time I have ever had a Schaller strap-lock fail in 30 years of playing was due to 4) above, and being young and stupid!

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Tried the beer washers. They popped out. Pain in the ass to install and remove anyway. Seem like a hipster option to me.

I use Dunlops on everything. Super convenient. I have a strap for my Pauls and a strap for my Strats.

I've heard concerns that Dunlops have no failsafe should they fail, unlike Schallers which will hold the guitar even if the main lock fails. Seems valid, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Side Burns

Reaction score
If anyone wants my old shallars make me an offer. Ill send u pics.

if you tuck the Grolsh washers on right they don’t fall off. If they poped off you didn’t install them completely and was still hung up on the edge of the buttons.

The old shallars on the the other hand require regular tightening. Thats why they put set screws on the new ones!

If you have the old ones, tighten them periodically like others have said.

PAPADON

Reaction score
I've got a set of Schallers on one of my Teles but with 15 guitars I've opted for the Chinese copies that can be found cheap on ebay. Guess what? They look the same and work just as well for a fraction of the price.

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Been using these for over 20 years, with zero issues:

I’ve been using these about twice that long & the original strap buttons are still on my old Fretsling straps, one thing I learned over the years is to clean and lubricate them (ball bearings) periodically, never have failed me in all of that time in many different situations.

jojo

Reaction score
I don't know how people are getting Schallers to "fail on them"??

The only reasons they can fail (in my experience) is due to them not being installed correctly in the first place! The common mistakes are:

1) Not enlarging the hole in the strap enough, so the nut and washer doesn't really "bite" down hard enough

2) Not tightening the nut hard enough. Use a vice to hold the body of the lock, and tighten the nut with a spanner - NOT just "finger tight"!

3) Nut working loose over time...This is usually a side-effect of 1) and 2) above. I check the nuts on my straplocks from time to time, but haven't needed to tighten them up for maybe 10 years?

4) Installing the "cups" that hold the part that is screwed to the guitar upside down (so that they face outwards from the strap, instead of inwards!).

The only time I have ever had a Schaller strap-lock fail in 30 years of playing was due to 4) above, and being young and stupid!
I've tightened them with a wrench before a gig and had the nuts come loose during a gig. They were installed properly. I do use a thick leather strap though. Now I put locktite on the nuts during installation and that resolves the issue.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I honestly can't hardly wait for the next straplock confirmation bias thread, any bets on how it will go?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I've said it before (repeatedly) and I will apparently say it again and again and again:
Beer washers on acoustics.
Schallers on electrics. Schallers on all electrics. Nothing but Schallers on electrics. There is no other possible answer, based on my experience & observation.

I will not expound here; if you want my reasoning, check one of the 89,374,294,409 other threads on the topic.

Static

Reaction score
Short answer YES. Just keep the original buttons and put them back on when you go to sell.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
'...Straplocks? Does anyone use them?...'

No, but then I don't jump around like a feckin' lunatic on stage every second...!
:thumb: :dude:

Latest Threads