CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score

musicmaniac

Reaction score
There's plenty of threads on this subject to search for and I use Schaller.

shupe13

Reaction score
I really like Schaller. Especially the newest version.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Tellin you, we need a sticky.

Thick leather strap with grolsh washers.
Not possible. Unless you enjoy some elongated sort of strap buttons or your definition of "thick" is 2mm or less, which by leather standards is not thick at all.

If you can fit one of those washers and a strap end on you regular button at the same time, i believe your leather ends are suspect and so do you. This is why you feel you need extra security.

If you use those washers, you must also check your hardware often. Those rubbers can pop off unexpectedly, and/or slowly jack your button screw loose over time.
I watched one pop off right in front of my own eyes on my work bench.

Cue the photo posts of guitar gods who use them, without mentioning every one of them has a tech who goes over their gear very carefully prior to each engagement.

Use them, but be wary. They are often noted as cheap insurance, but are not the perfect solution.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Not possible. Unless you enjoy some elongated sort of strap buttons or your definition of "thick" is 2mm or less, which by leather standards is not thick at all.

If you can fit one of those washers and a strap end on you regular button at the same time, i believe your leather ends are suspect and so do you. This is why you feel you need extra security.

If you use those washers, you must also check your hardware often. Those rubbers can pop off unexpectedly, and/or slowly jack your button screw loose over time.
I watched one pop off right in front of my own eyes on my work bench.

Cue the photo posts of guitar gods who use them, without mentioning every one of them has a tech who goes over their gear very carefully prior to each engagement.

Use them, but be wary. They are often noted as cheap insurance, but are not the perfect solution.
Dude say what you want about your gear, but the only failure ive had is with shallar nuts backing off. Period.

Talk about having to tighten hardware lol :laugh2:

they backed off regularly, and im a mechanical engineer. I know how to tighten a nut.

This washer NEVER failed on any of mine or my buddies after years of gigs.
665ACBBE-DBF9-4C85-BF06-A0C23157EFCB.jpeg

*edit: if you look at how thick my padded Franklin strap is, that may be why it backed off. But I absolutely 1000% wouldn’t switch back. Lucky for me I always reuse the original hardware so switching back was no problem. I just ground a sliver of the edge of the original screw to fit the bore of the Schaller button.

IMHO, I would rather spend an additional 5 seconds on a rubber washer than carry an open ended wrench. (And I'm not buying the new ones, i still have 3-4 of one old ones in the box.)

Last edited:

Latearrival

Reaction score
Dude say what you want about your gear, but the only failure ive had is with shallar nuts backing off. Period.

they backed off regularly, and im a mechanical engineer. I know how to tighten a nut.

This washer NEVER failed on any of mine or my buddies after years of gigs.
Did you make the hole in the strap bigger before installing the schallers? The only time I had this happen was before I learned to enlarge the hole with a leather punch before fitting.....I check my schallers now and again, but I haven't needed to tighten them in maybe 8 years of regular use!......

I've used Schallers for 30 years without a problem. Grolsch washers are OK, and I use them on my SG (because of the strap button placement) - but are fiddly to fit and remove when you put your guitar in a case.

Latearrival

Reaction score
I've used Schallers on my guitars for 30 years without an issue.

If they are fitted properly (enlarge the hole in the strap, fit them the right way up (cups facing UPWARDS), and tighten the nuts properly with a spanner), they are pretty much foolproof!

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I should add I actually prefer the simplicity of the rubber beer gasket solution to metal or plastic mechanical contraptions. Those often come with proprietary screws smaller than the ones they replace, and in some cases add additional leverage on the button and screw, can be noisy and just appear clunky IMO.

I think the overall best solution is a jumbo strap button with a seriously manly screw holding it in place. Combine that with a robust, slightly stiff strap end with a hole of the right size. Or, at the very least, a stock button with an upgraded manly screw.

Ask yourself these questions:

If your strap slips easily off the button, is it the fault of the strap, or the button? If the button pulls out of your guitar, is the fault of the button, or the screw?

All three components play a role in guitar security.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep the red beer washers CB mentioned above at the shop. Lots of folks use em.. I call em the Original Rock n Roll strap lock.

Last bag of a hunnert was 9.95 I think.
If you have to fight it to get it over the button, it ain’t easily coming off... I never did guitar gymnastics, always check my shit before strapping up, and I like em...

moreles

Reaction score
Straplocks are overkill and ugly. I use black rubber washers, which work perfectly, are not metallic, and are mostly invisible.

Latest Threads