Strap Locks

vondran

Reaction score
Strap locks are a over complicated solution to a simple problem.

I prefer using Charvel strap buttons which are simply oversized with a little extra lip around the rim - giving the same functionality as the Grolsch washer but built in. You can usually find a pair on ebay for ~$10. They hold really well and use a standard strap unmodified.

strap_buttons001.jpg

b21c10b6-c27a-4a37-96e1-396a0e192f69_zps3e12a07d.jpg

d851964e-3fff-4ea6-a035-e9957f5f446e_zps9ab839a2.jpg

upl8tr

Reaction score
Yes Joe does use Grolsch washers on his vintage guitars, including the '59s so you don't ruin them with straplocks, I think some of the modern models he has Dunlop ones

"so you don't ruin them with straplocks" Whut? :hmm:

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Grolsch washers and a nice thick leather strap. Works like a charm. FTR, my bass player got a nice ding on her Ibanez when her Schallers failed her and the bass hit the floor.

vondran

Reaction score
Yes Joe does use Grolsch washers on his vintage guitars, including the '59s so you don't ruin them with straplocks ...

I think it's more to keep the guitar stock, including the strap buttons. Duncan straplocks do use a bigger screw but one could easily use the same size as the original screw with Straplocks.

WhatDoIKnow

Reaction score
Strap locks are a over complicated solution to a simple problem.

I prefer using Charvel strap buttons which are simply oversized with a little extra lip around the rim - giving the same functionality as the Grolsch washer but built in. You can usually find a pair on ebay for ~$10. They hold really well and use a standard strap unmodified.

<pics clipped>

Do you have to open the hole in the strap to fit over the button? If you so, I'm not sure what "locking" purpose it serves. :dunno:

srb531

Reaction score
i dont trust any of the 2 piece lock together strap locks any more, i just use the oversize strap buttons that allparts sells, it makes you really push the strap on & you have to pull hard to get the strap back off. so it cant fail like the others sometimes do. but the most fail proof , buy 2 metal flat washers & 2 little bigger wood screws , remove stock button ,screw thru washer then strap end, then into guitar body , tighten securely , strap stays on guitar all the time . it cant fail, unless the strap breaks or the screw backs all the way out, highly unlikely. cost maybe $1.00 for parts.

upl8tr

Reaction score
i dont trust any of the 2 piece lock together strap locks any more, i just use the oversize strap buttons that allparts sells, it makes you really push the strap on & you have to pull hard to get the strap back off. so it cant fail like the others sometimes do. but the most fail proof , buy 2 metal flat washers & 2 little bigger wood screws , remove stock button ,screw thru washer then strap end, then into guitar body , tighten securely , strap stays on guitar all the time . it cant fail, unless the strap breaks or the screw backs all the way out, highly unlikely. cost maybe $1.00 for parts.

Or even more "the most fail proof" is to take the strap button off and then screw it straight through the strap next to the original hole, or sew the hole up with fishing gut and then screw through that...

There's endles permutations, for this, none of which are the best, only the best for your preference.

BonamassaFan

Reaction score
I think it's more to keep the guitar stock, including the strap buttons. Duncan straplocks do use a bigger screw but one could easily use the same size as the original screw with Straplocks.

Well that's what I meant stock, I am not a fan of strap locks so it came out as ruin it lol

vondran

Reaction score
Do you have to open the hole in the strap to fit over the button?

No. I use Levy leather straps and do not enlarge the hole. I just use the straps as is. The oversized strap button is tighter getting on/off, but not that bad. I generally use one strap and swap guitars between songs with no problem. But once it's on, the guitar isn't slipping out, which is the point.

101ABN327

Reaction score
I like Schallers. They are easy to install and if you only want one strap, it connects with every guitar that has Schaller mounting hardware. On my Les Pauls I had to reduce the circumference of the original strap button screws to use with Schaller's mount. Dremmel and a file and this was an easy fix. They also come in Chrome, Gold and Black.

Latest Threads