Strap locks needed, which are best?

KenG

Reaction score
4 guitars + 2 straps. All schaller, all interchangeable. Put some of the wifes nailpolish or superglue on the nut thread and it won't work loose. Schallers keep the strap from rubbing the finish around the button too if that matters to you.

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
Have Schallers and Dunlops.. I prefer the Schallers. I used the original screws from the guitar and reduced the diameter of the head (stick in a drill chuck and lightly sand) so it can fit inside.. The screws with the locks were always smaller than what was on the guitar originally, so this was the best way get a tight fit.. (no toothpicks and glue needed)

LedZeppelin

Reaction score
Those beer washers look like a good idea. I dont gig or anything and I'd like the ability to have some strap locks without the idea of putting some new buttons in.

I'm going to have to go to the store tomorrow and see if they have those Groisch bottles :thumb:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Schallers on all 20-whatever of my guitars.

I would not use anything else.

And, that Dunlop design is inferior to Schaller... just take a long hard look at both, and let logic control your decision.

Kolera

Reaction score
Yup, Schallers all the way. Though I might check out that Loxx-thingy...

ed1996

Reaction score
I use ernie balls, they are good but do stick out a like a sore thumb

tache3

Reaction score
I was a Dunlop user until recently, have always fitted them to every guitar I've had my hands on in the last 10 years or so. But over the past six months I've had them fail on me three times mid-gig. For some reason, and I cannot replicate it off stage, the locks would pull out of the strap studs.

It happened on two different guitars, with two different pairs of straplocks that were purchased in different countries, six months apart. So whether there is a rogue consignment that has spread out over the globe, I don't know. Suffice to say, I don't trust 'em anymore.

Considering going back to Schallers but may try out the Loxx.

335Reasons

Banned
Reaction score
Dunlops are OK for me, but I rest the guitar high up my chest, don't know how they will work in a low down position. I think that plays a great role in a strap lock design

kestrou

Reaction score
Along the lines of the Grolsch beer... is the Dunlop Ergo Locks - no mods to the guitar!

kestrou

aksak

Reaction score
Along the lines of the Grolsch beer... is the Dunlop Ergo Locks - no mods to the guitar!

kestrou

+1 : but just have to take care the Ergo Locks are not moving alone after they are installed. Otherwise they open and ... booom !

DanL

Reaction score
I kind of hate having to shuck out $20 for a set, but schallers are good.

Kerry_King

Reaction score
Anybody try these. I think they are German engineered.
Just don't use a duct tape strap like the guy in the first video, he's been watching too much Mythbusters.
Next time I go to Guitar center I'm going to play around with them, but the safest way is just to have a couple beers and don't drink and drive.

LOXX -- The smart strap lock - YouTube

LOXX are made in Germany, and were invented in the 1920's. They were designed for the automotive and marine industries.
911Roadster.JPG

Since the 20's, they have sold OVER 100 MILLION sets. They were designed for weathering and heavy use, and will not rust (unlike Dunlops). They've been tested in conditions far worse than *most* guitarists will put them through.

This page here has a comparison between Schallers and LOXX.

Product Comparison - LOXX USA

Take a look at each photo, as there are many specific points.

Oh yeah, and at Guitar Center Nickel and Black are on sale for 16.99 until the end of February!

Rango

Reaction score
I asked the same question last week over on the other LP forums... got a ton of replies:
Strap locks on a Historic? - Les Paul Forum

Schallers work great you just have to drill out the button and trim the head on a #8 screw. I'll do that long term.... Short term answer was to go buy a couple of Grolschs. I'm floored how well they work, it may be awhile before I get around to putting Schallers on my R9. :D

Latest Threads