Strap locks needed, which are best?

Nilitara

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've never purchased strap locks before, and was wondering what would you guys recommend for my Traditional? I've seen the Schaller ones, but are there any others, IE Ernie Balls, or Dunlops that are just as good?

Regarding the Schaller ones, is the screw the same length as what's currently fitted to my Gibby, or do you have to drill deeper into the guitar body?

Nige

tothemax

Reaction score
i have a set of dunlops on my standard. they work great. what i like about these new dunlops are they are two piece. if you forget your strap at home with the lock on it you can use another strap without ruining the evening. i am not familar with the other models, but i know there are some that you cant do that with. so if you forget or loose or strap your sitting for the evening.

WinterOrb

Reaction score
They're all fine. I use schallers.
Just don't swing your guitar like a douche because it's not always the locks that fail.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O72lItS4OA]the most epic guitar swing fail - YouTube[/ame]

foxtrot

Reaction score
I have schaller strap locks on my studio, no drilling or modification necessary. I like that they aren't huge and don't stand out.

River

Reaction score
Have a couple of Grolsch beers, save the washers.

6913397969_33bc4a7410_z.jpg

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Have a couple of Grolsch beers, save the washers.

6913397969_33bc4a7410_z.jpg

Yep! I too started a straplock thread...once... installed some Dunlops, felt funny, tried the Grolsch thing and works like a charm... (plus it's the greatest excuse I've EVER had to buy some beer, I mean, how often do you get to tell your wife you gotta go buy some beer because you need the parts?!:thumb:)

Priceless MLP Nuggets of Knowledge!!

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I have Dunlops on my LP and Schallers on my Strat. I much prefer the Dunlops. They're a few years old with no signs of problems. The thing I don't like about the Schallers is that they are threaded and without thread-locker, can work loose. The Dunlop uses a snapring (aka "damnits", "Jesus clips", "f**cking things", etc....) and they stay put. I also find that the Dunlops are a lot easier to connect/disconnect.
I don't jump around when I'm playing guitar, so I can't speak to that aspect. I hate Spandex. I'm a 501 guy. So I don't foresee any issues with Dunlops, as long as they fit the Vibromate hole. ;)

naturalblack

Reaction score
Ill have to try the grolsch beer thing on my epi. I have schallers on both my epi and gibson. In my gibson they are prefect in the epi the screws aren't quite right.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I bought two dunlop sets but the screw on my R8 doesn't set as tight so I put the OEM ones back on it. Worked fine on my other one though. That one will probably get the beer washer treatment, but I'd like to be able to click-n-go straps between the two.

MCURZON

Reaction score
I use Renegades and have had no issues to report. Well, apart from the time I didn't fix it on properly and dropped my classic face first on the floor!! Will never forget the sickening noise it made!

River

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to click-n-go straps between the two.
That's the one drawback, but I've got carefully-adjusted and different-width straps for every guitar. That Standard is a cinder block, and needs that wide, padded strap. The R8 doesn't.

StLouisBluezz

Reaction score
Anybody try these. I think they are German engineered.
Just don't use a duct tape strap like the guy in the first video, he's been watching too much Mythbusters.
Next time I go to Guitar center I'm going to play around with them, but the safest way is just to have a couple beers and don't drink and drive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Fw_fpkRjs[/ame]

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
BTW, I use Schallers on all my guitars - even though I have different straps for each guitar, I have backups in case I need them.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I have Dunlop and Schaller. The Schallers are easier to take the lock off the strap, and the Dunlops stick out farther from the body. Either way you'll be fine, the LOXX thing looks neat, similiar to Schallers.

Latest Threads