Strap Locks need some help

Sinster

Reaction score
I purchased some strap locks from my local guitar shop. They fit okay on a thinner strap, but I have a thicker strap and the shaft isnt' long enough. Does someone have a Schaller or Grover laying around that they can measure.

Here's the picture of mine.
20140106_224125-1.jpg

These are the ones I'm looking at as they look longer, but you know the stock photos aren't always the best.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Grover-GP800N-Quick-Release-Nickel/dp/B002XZOZ7O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Grover GP800N Grover Quick Release Strap Lock, Nickel: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Or these

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schaller-Chrome-Straplocks-Pair/dp/B0006ZP950/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389065420&sr=8-4&keywords=Strap+locks]Amazon.com: Schaller Chrome Straplocks, Pair: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

or just get a thinner washer for what I have now.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Post the strap. I never had this problem. Over 20 straps all different styles. Take 2 pliers and really clamp that sucker down. Should be fine.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use Schallers on a thick strap. I am not able to measure it right now, but it is quite thick and it was not that easy to thread the strap washer & bolt.

But, once I got it threaded, I just just cranked it down tight with a good wrench and it's fine.

Make sure to put a little drop of loc-tite on the threads.

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
You have to compress the washer down onto the strap until it is flush with lip right below the threads. Then run the nut down onto.

Sinster

Reaction score
My strap is an Italia strap, but it seems thicker than the others. I've have 5 of these straps and Marvel locks on them. I had to compress these on, but this one doesn't want to play nice.
I do loc-tite them..

20140106_230719-1.jpg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dunno about Marvel's, but no (horrible) problem getting the Schallers on my strap that's probably about the same thickness as that one.

You could try compressing the washer against the strap with pliers, while you get the nut started.

cck801

Reaction score
I know you're looking for more specifics, but I can't imagine a scenario where your strap won't work -- you just need to press/clamp it down, and it will work just fine.

StoneCutter

Reaction score
I just put Schallers on my Traditional. The short screw in the pack was the same size as the factory screw and everything seems to hold just fine on a wide leather strap.

I've heard that intalling straplocks voids the Gibson warranty. Is this true?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Looks like your strap is about 3/64" thinner than the threads on the lock; should work. All my Schallers are on straps & I don't have a wrench handy right now, so I can't measure them, but the straps are 3, 4 & 6mm thick; the nuts are all even with the top of the threads. As others have said, it took a little compression to get them started - but no real problem. Where I find the hassle is having to ream out the diameter of the hole in the strap.

denka

Reaction score
Maybe something like this would work?

attachment.php

Attachments

• m75pYlQ6T7oMdbtc5iOoKCg.jpg
    m75pYlQ6T7oMdbtc5iOoKCg.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 120

blackangus1

Reaction score
Try a really big hammer.

I kid, I kid.

Attachments

• hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 12

emptyisvarah

Reaction score
when that happens to me, a use an old pick if the included washer is too thick, given that the pick is thick enough to last but not thin enough to break apart when you screw it down.

Farquad

Reaction score
Actually, the hammer suggestion isnt a bad one.
Take your strap and a socket that is a bit larger than the diameter of the strap lock shaft, and position the socket centered above the strap hole. Then hammer the crud outta of it till the leather is compressed and thinner.

shiplett77

Reaction score
as some previous posters suggested, use pliers. This is the route I go when installing on a new strap.

closed_PaulSlack

Reaction score
Soak strap ends in water for a couple of hours. Put nylon clamps on the tips overnight. Hey presto, they will be flattened a bit but every part as strong and they will now be thin enough to fit.

BluesRock

Reaction score
Did you cut back the strap material so that the strap sits flat with the lock inserted?

mystique1

Reaction score
I've heard that intalling straplocks voids the Gibson warranty. Is this true?

I hope not, and why would it as a strap lock gives your guitar less chance of being damaged. Hopefully someone will chime in who knows the definitive answer.

Latest Threads