Strap locks help

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
This or neoprene washers from a hardware store.

So much better than strap locks IMHO
Allow me to direct your attention back to my post on page one with the link to the brewing supply place with 100 of them for about half the price of a 4 of Grlölsch.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Allow me to direct your attention back to my post on page one with the link to the brewing supply place with 100 of them for about half the price of a 4 of Grlölsch.
Yep... black neoprene fender washers. Couple will set you back $1.38 + tax.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Sure there are much cheaper options, but if you’re gonna get beer anyway why not kill two birds with one stone?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep... black neoprene fender washers. Couple will set you back $1.38 + tax.
They've gone down; MF has 4 of the Fender washers for $2.99 - last time I saw them it was $8 & change.
But I still recommend the ones in my link; seems to me 100 for $8.99 is a bit better deal.........

wully

Reaction score
Some guitars I have nice stiff thick leather straps on. They hold on just fine. Others I use cheap webbing straps with rubber washers, which also work. I’m quite a fan of the extra large strap buttons, which I also find work fine. My gibsons usually just have the thick stiff leather straps and standard strap buttons, though, as it goes..‍♂

Six6String6

Reaction score
So I just got my new Traditional today. It's my first higher end Gibson with the BEAUTIFUL hardshell case

I use Jim Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars and ordered some to put on this rig. My question is, will the guitar fit in the case as it should with these strap locks? I know the knobs on the Dunlops are pretty big... Just wondering if I need to cancel the order and go with Schallers
So I just got my new Traditional today. It's my first higher end Gibson with the BEAUTIFUL hardshell case

I use Jim Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars and ordered some to put on this rig. My question is, will the guitar fit in the case as it should with these strap locks? I know the knobs on the Dunlops are pretty big... Just wondering if I need to cancel the order and go with Schallers
Totally love that color

NotScott

Reaction score
I have been using Schallers and Dunlops for more years than I care to admit on dozens of guitars and after thousands of gigs, I have never had a failure. However, I never blindly trust any device and regularly inspect my straplocks to make sure that I won't have any failures.

brettlowden

Reaction score
I use the Dunlop and they have never let me down. Wouldn't play out without them.
Every once in a while, if you spray some finger ease, or 3 in one oil onto those little bearings, there won't be any sticking.
A lot of people don't like finger ease, but I do. It's also good for quieting down squeaky bass drum pedals, as we discovered.

mjross

Reaction score
This is the correct answer. The absolute best "strap locks" are also the easiest (and tastiest) solution, and you don't have to mod the guitar.

Personal experience: the only time I have ever had a guitar fall off the strap and almost hit the deck was when a Dunlop straplock failed. Immediately removed and started using the Grolsch washers and have never had a problem again in approx 30 years since the incident.
I hear ya! Had the same thing happen to me. However, my solution was different. I ALWAYS give the locks at both locations a tug after actuation. Works every time!

Like someone previously stated, use what you are comfortable with. It’s all good!

oheare

Reaction score
I've been using Schaller strap locks on my instruments for a long time, and I've had exactly 2 failures; both times a mounting screw broke *just* below the wood surface. Both times required reverse drilling to get the screw remnant out, then plugging the hole & drilling for the new screw.

Once was within the past year on an instrument that I bought new in 1998 with the locks installed; the screw at the butt end of the instrument broke as I was putting the strap on after pulling the bass out of its case at a gig.

The other was the lock on the horn, before 1998 on an instrument I'd installed them on in the early '80s. That too was also on a bass just as I was putting it on before showtime. (And yes, both times I replaced the other screw, just in case.)

I guess the lesson is to never take off your instrument?

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice guit-fiddle!

I have been using the Fender disk-douhgnut keepers. I have a couple of D'Addario/Planet Waves straps with locks, but, though very secure, they tend to leave marks on the finish.

Sweetwater Fender Strap Blocks Strap Locking System (set of 4) - Black

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've gone down; MF has 4 of the Fender washers for $2.99 - last time I saw them it was $8 & change.
But I still recommend the ones in my link; seems to me 100 for $8.99 is a bit better deal.........
This is the first I've heard of Grolsch washers/gaskets. Are they as reliable (or more reliable) than the Fenders?

tzd

Reaction score
One thing you need to be aware about the Grolsch washer, I had a pair that I left on with the strap connected to my Les Paul for many months, and the strap button screw became loose.

Because depending on how thick your strap and the washer is, a tight fit there could cause the entire strap button and screw to rotate whenever the strap rotates.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of Grolsch washers/gaskets. Are they as reliable (or more reliable) than the Fenders?
The Fenders are a cheap (but expensive) copy of Grölsch washers - but, as I pointed out earlier, morebeer.com sells the same thing in a 100-piece bag for less than a 4-pack of Grölsch. Of course, with the Grölsch washers you get beer.

The Fender version gives neither good value:money, nor good beer!

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fenders are a cheap (but expensive) copy of Grölsch washers - but, as I pointed out earlier, morebeer.com sells the same thing in a 100-piece bag for less than a 4-pack of Grölsch. Of course, with the Grölsch washers you get beer.

The Fender version gives neither good value:money, nor good beer!
Last night, I ordered a bag of 100 for $10. I don't think I am going to get any beer with them.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gibson strap buttons used on the USA guitars 2014 and later barely fit through a strap hole and are quite secure. Rubber washers make them pretty much invincible.

timichango

Reaction score
+1 for the Schallers (and their ilk, eg. Fender/Grover/whatever licensed ones).

One bit of advice for the older design with the normal-type hex nut securing the strap lock to the strap: use a dab of blue locktite on the nut/shaft to prevent the nut from loosening off on you inadvertently over time. I'm talking about the ones that look like this:

1628720264989.png

Nothing worse than placing confidence in your strap lock system, and then having the lock itself slowly dismantle itself over time and fall off of your strap.

The newer Schaller-branded-only version with the knurled collar and set-screws more or less obviates this concern (the set-screws prevent it from self-loosening... as long as you remember to actually tighten the darned things).

Latest Threads