Strap locks help

dk2429

Reaction score
So I just got my new Traditional today. It's my first higher end Gibson with the BEAUTIFUL hardshell case

I use Jim Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars and ordered some to put on this rig. My question is, will the guitar fit in the case as it should with these strap locks? I know the knobs on the Dunlops are pretty big... Just wondering if I need to cancel the order and go with Schallers

Attachments

dk2429

Reaction score
Will fit just fine. The edge of the case has a lot of padding.

EDIT: also..... NICE guitar!
Thank you! Didn't want to install them and then they not fit in the case.

And thank you for your kind words! I love it

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Yep. You'll be fine. Use what you are comfortable with.*

* Apologies for ending a sentence with a preposition.

TheWelder

Reaction score
The solution is simple. Go to the liquor store and buy a four pack of the 15 oz Grolsch lager bottles with the red rubber gasket ring. Not only do you have some excellent beer, but you also get two sets of excellent straps locks that you will never have to worry about.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I can't speak to the Dunlap strap-locks, but the ones I use (not sure what brand to be honest) fit in the case with much room to spare.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Not sure how that helps a guy who wrote this:

Seems like his straps will not be set up for the beer-washers.
He hadn't installed his Dunlops yet when he posted this thread. My proposed solution is non-invasive and will most certainly not cause any issues with fitting in a case. Plus....Grolsch :p

gball

Reaction score
The solution is simple. Go to the liquor store and buy a four pack of the 15 oz Grolsch lager bottles with the red rubber gasket ring. Not only do you have some excellent beer, but you also get two sets of excellent straps locks that you will never have to worry about.
This is the correct answer. The absolute best "strap locks" are also the easiest (and tastiest) solution, and you don't have to mod the guitar.

Personal experience: the only time I have ever had a guitar fall off the strap and almost hit the deck was when a Dunlop straplock failed. Immediately removed and started using the Grolsch washers and have never had a problem again in approx 30 years since the incident.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I would strongly suggest going with the schallers regardless as they are a fool proof design when installed and used properly. Dunlop not so much
Indeed.
Having seen, and had, numerous guitars fall off a strap button, I will confess that Dunlops are better than nothing - but not nearly as good as Schallers; a bump can release a Dunlop, while there is no way to accidentally release a Schaller (and if somehow it did, you've still got the metal U-channel holding you up; remember to check the nuts for tightness once or twice a year, and you're absolutely freakin' bulletproof). Nor are Dunlops as good as 2nd choice, beer cap washers. And while I do understand the arguments for the latter - I use them on my acoustics - they do start to dry out & crack after a while (good thing I'm a homebrewer & know where to get them in bulk, cheap*). In over 40 years, I have never seen a Schaller wear out - or fail in any other way; as gball says, this cannot be said about Dunlops.
And with Schallers, if you forget your strap, they work fine as regular buttons; unless Dunlop has changed their design again since last I looked, this is not true of them.

*Cheap washers

irocdave12

Reaction score
Seriously my friend listen to these guys and me telling you to use the Schaller locks. If this is your first high end Gibson then I imagine it means the world to you and is also likely one of your heavier guitars. All the more reason to use the Schallers. The Dunlop is the same as the Ernie Ball design that was responsible for my one and only mishap with a strap lock failing me. They both use the same design with the shaft into the strap button hole with the tiny ball bearing to lock into a groove and seal the deal. Thats the weak point on the design. It’s prone to wear and tear and if you don’t get that ball seated perfect then you’re shaking hands with danger. My problem occurred because my strap end of the Ernie ball got some dirt and grime on the shaft/male portion causing the ball bearing to hang up in the plunger unbeknownst to me until it suddenly let go after I thought is was good and locked down. The story is always similar to what I just said when it comes to the Dunlop/Ball locks and the horror stories of the other guys like me that had them let go. Honestly even if you don’t get yourself the Schaller then the rubber washer approach is safer and more reliable than the ball and plunger design of the Dunlops. Not trying to rain on your parade just dont want to have to see you come back in the future with a thread asking where to get a headstock repair done

1neeto

Reaction score
Indeed.
Having seen, and had, numerous guitars fall off a strap button, I will confess that Dunlops are better than nothing - but not nearly as good as Schallers; a bump can release a Dunlop, while there is no way to accidentally release a Schaller (and if somehow it did, you've still got the metal U-channel holding you up; remember to check the nuts for tightness once or twice a year, and you're absolutely freakin' bulletproof). Nor are Dunlops as good as 2nd choice, beer cap washers. And while I do understand the arguments for the latter - I use them on my acoustics - they do start to dry out & crack after a while (good thing I'm a homebrewer & know where to get them in bulk, cheap*). In over 40 years, I have never seen a Schaller wear out - or fail in any other way; as gball says, this cannot be said about Dunlops.
And with Schallers, if you forget your strap, they work fine as regular buttons; unless Dunlop has changed their design again since last I looked, this is not true of them.

*Cheap washers
Can’t recommend Shallers enough. They may cost as much as a nice guitar strap, but worth every penny. They can be noisy though but that’s a minor setback.

fretout

Reaction score
Even my much larger (& far superior) Schallers fit in the case no problem.
I used to use Dunlop Straplocks, but when the ball bearings started wearing out, I opted for Schallers. Truth be told, the Schaller design is better engineered.

On a side note, have you had problems locating Schaller Straplocks? I went looking for a few new sets, and apparently they are being manufactured by Grover! Did Grover acquire Schaller, or what?!

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schallers here too.

I respect the washer idea, but I'm one of those weirdos who takes the strap off and puts the guitar back in the case when I'm through playing. I know, I know; I've got issues. It is what it is.

I'd much rather use dunlop's. Easier and less bulk. Not sure if this is a comment or a question. I've never been able to grasp how the design is enough to be trusted. I get how it works. I agree that most failures are probably operator error. I just can't get peace of mind looking at one. I'd love to be shown wrong though. I like em.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I used to use Dunlop Straplocks, but when the ball bearings started wearing out, I opted for Schallers. Truth be told, the Schaller design is better engineered.

On a side note, have you had problems locating Schaller Straplocks? I went looking for a few new sets, and apparently they are being manufactured by Grover! Did Grover acquire Schaller, or what?!
As far as I can discover, no - Schaller & Grover are still separate entities. Schaller has tweaked their design; they also license the original design for "Fender" branding. Grover does sell a system that looks identical to the old Schallers, but I know not who makes them or what the connection, if any, is.
Musicians Friend sells the new Schallers; Stew-Mac sells those, plus the Fender- & Grover-labelled old design, and (for those who like to use the same strap on everything), the old-style Schaller buttons, without the strap-end piece.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
This or neoprene washers from a hardware store.

So much better than strap locks IMHO

Latest Threads