Strap locks for Norlin era guitars

Axelorox

Reaction score
I recently got a 1976 Gibson SG standard and would like to install some straplocks on it. However, the usual Schaller and Dunlop locks both use incompatible screws (I checked). Are there any other types of straplocks that would fit? I'm not a fan of the bottle washer things

dju

Reaction score
I use schaller strap locks. you have to somehow either make the screw hole smaller for the rear screw to work in. I have used wood putty (the kind that hardens) or more recently I have been buying the strap buttons from http://mojoaxe.com/ that he sells that have the larger screw that works in the hole. you might also read about people using toothpicks but i have never done that.
MojoAxe Strap Lock Kits

Many Gibson guitars use #8 x 1-1/2" (or 1-1/4") screws to fasten the strap buttons to the guitar body, however
Schaller and Grover strap lock buttons only fit smaller diameter #6 screws. Neither the body nor the head of the larger #8 screw will fit inside the button. All to often, the solution people rely upon is use the smaller #6 screw tuck toothpicks into the hole so that it is tight.

MojoAxe straplock buttons accomodate a larger size #8 screw which has a custom-size head that fits the buttons. MojoAxe buttons are fully compatible with both Grover and Schaller straplock systems. The MojoAxe Straplock kit includes (2) Grover strap locks and (4) buttons with #8 x 1-1/2" screws, so its good for one strap and two guitars. Nickel finish.

* Some Gibson guitars have a #8 screw attaching the strap button to the lower bout and a #6 screw attaching the neck button. The MojoAxe straplock button is compatible with the #6 screw so the stock screw may be used if desired, although installation using the larger #8 screw is recommended for the most reliable attachment.

Un-aged Aged Item Description
$24 $28 MojoAxe Straplock Kit - includes (2) strap locks and (4) buttons with screws
$8 $10 MojoAxe Straplock Buttons only - includes (2) buttons with screws

MojoAxe%20Straplock%20Set%20-%20aged.JPG

Big Dik

Reaction score
I recently got a 1976 Gibson SG standard and would like to install some straplocks on it. However, the usual Schaller and Dunlop locks both use incompatible screws (I checked). Are there any other types of straplocks that would fit? I'm not a fan of the bottle washer things
DiMarzio had some larger strap buttons that I put on my '79 LP Custom. The stock buttons didn't do the job and I had to catch my falling ax as I fell to my knees. People thought it was part of the show.

BayouGTR

Reaction score
After years of using Schaller, I switched to LokStrap by Dunlop. Keeps the stock strap buttons, lo profile, no locks on my straps, stable and stronger than you think
Angus has them on the neck strap button on his SG.

moreles

Reaction score
If you want to use those overbuilt, too-heavy, ugly, strap-wrecking, protruding Schaller locks, why not just install them properly by dowelling the existing holes and drilling for the Schaller screws? IMO, those "rubber washer things" are a simpler, more elegant, and functionally far better form of lock -- and they don't protrude an inch beyond your guitar or wreck your strap ends.

gball

Reaction score
I use actual Grolsch washers from the beer bottles. Its a simple, no-mod solution that works as well or better than any aftermarket strap locks I have tried. Plus, I get to drink beer!

Latest Threads