Strap Lock Recommendations

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Nothing broken luckily but sore and bruised down my arms. Airbag went off, and when I came to after a second I thought I was on fire because I was exhaling thick white smoke. It was actually smoke from the small amount of explosive used to inflate the airbag so quickly, which had tore. I actually still made it to work that day because we had one of our biggest clients coming in for a video project and I was the editor, I refuse medical attention and had a friend come get me. At the end of the day, I slept in one of the offices, and the next morning I literally couldn't move a finger and thought I was paralyzed. It was just my body dealing with the shock and I eventually was able to move around.

When I saw the truck's tire down the road, I at first thought it was my amp that had been thrown from the car. Then when I saw it still back there thrown forward against my guitars (a US Reissue Strat and Tele, nice guitars), I was preparing myself for the pile of parts. But they came out fine, even after having a Deluxe Reverb slam into them at 30 mph. Amp was fine too. Fender built some tough stuff.
:shock:

I'm not one for potentially unneeded medical followups, but that? I'd have gotten checked out.

Glad you all made it relatively OK. An airbag deployment is violent - I hope to never find out in person.

MiniB

Reaction score
:shock:

I'm not one for potentially unneeded medical followups, but that? I'd have gotten checked out.

Glad you all made it relatively OK. An airbag deployment is violent - I hope to never find out in person.
Yeah I probably should have, wasn't the smartest thing, but I had to be there for work. A little vomiting the following day but then I was okay after a few more days. I was 'only' going 30, but he probably was too so that's like what, a 40-50mph hit, especially since it was my Toyota Army vs. a UPS truck. The truck got its wheel torn out, and as for my car....first thing I saw after the airbag smoke was something shiny about 8-10 inches from my windshield. When I got out, I saw that the shiny thing was actually the Toyota emblem on the front grille. That's how bashed-in my front end was. All credit to that car, it protected me.

I was just glad it was only me in the car. Aaannyway...just a testament to how tough those guitars were. The Strat now belongs to the friend who got me to work that day.

Last edited:

Lee Phillips

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of strap locks for my just purchased Junior. A friend recommends Dunlop - any suggestions?
If the hardware on the guitar is chrome go with chrome. If it is Nickle go with nickle they all work equally well.

tigerflame

Reaction score
I have Schaller's on all my guitars.

Same. Three guitars, all have 'em. I have three basic straps too, all fitted with locks. $36 can save a lot of headache later.

As for locks unscrewing over time--add some LockTite like I do and you're fine.

jamhandy

Reaction score
I hate Schaller locks because they are a major PITA to get on and off the guitar. Plus if you grab a strap without the Schaller thing, for sure your guitar is going to go flinging to the floor, as the button itself is not big enough to hold a normal guitar strap. Plus with them on, they got a protrusion sticking out way passed the strap that can get hung on things.

As far as the Grolsch beer bottle rubber washer things, they eventually fall off, but for like 50-cents or less each, are a way to keep your strap on for a couple of minutes. I personally think they suck.

Once you get the Dunlops, you can buy just the guitar-side button for any or every guitar and used just one strap.

The Dunlop "Dual Design" version (they have several button versions) will hold a strap that doesn't have the strap lock system on.

Once you have the male side mounted to your strap, you can buy just the female side at AllParts (and other places) for mabout $5 bucks, and put those on a second guitar, etc...

You can also buy nickel, gold, or black. I kinda favor the black ones, but not a big deal, they all work the same.

This is going to be a Ford/Chevy debate on which one to get...

I've used the Dunlops for 20+ years with never a fail or incident.

Another alternative if you can find them, are a set of leather straplocks that I use on this very heavy 1980 LP Artisan (13lbs 6oz.)... first day I owned it I dropped it flat on the output jack and headstock... after that I got leather strap locks that have been on this guitar now for 40 years... you can kindasorta see how they attach in this picture

DSCF0382sm-with red arrow.jpg

I don't know what brand they are, as I bought them 40 years ago... but it seems like the best option IMHO, no Dunlop buttons to release, no PITA Schallers to try to fanaggle off... very simple and effective design, and like I said, these are 40 years old and still rockin'...

You might find a set of the leather ones doing a Google search... they are still out there... here is a Google Image search for them. Clicking on the picture of one or more of them might find them on Reverb, etc...

IMHO, every guitar deserves a set of some type of strap locks... because sh!t happens...

Last edited:

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
As far as the Grolsch beer bottle rubber washer things, they eventually fall off, but for like 50-cents or less each, are a way to keep your strap on for a couple of minutes. I personally think they suck.
Never failed me once. Never, ever eventually fell off. Gig worthy. Over ten years and across a dozen guitars.

jamhandy

Reaction score
Never failed me once. Never, ever eventually fell off. Gig worthy. Over ten years and across a dozen guitars.

So... you've had blessed luck with a 50 cent hunk of rubber on a thousand dollar+ guitar... hopefully the unicorns and fairies remain smiling on that strap... LOL

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
So... you've had blessed luck with a 50 cent hunk of rubber on a thousand dollar+ guitar... hopefully the unicorns and fairies remain smiling on that strap... LOL
No, it’s simple physics...Brian May, Jeff Beck, Joe B, Johnny Marr....all play guitars worth more than my entire rig...and use Grolsch washers...like I said, never fail, on stage, in the jamroom...

jamhandy

Reaction score
They do and have failed for me... so to me they are junk... its worth 20 bucks to protect a $1,000+ guitar...unless the person likes to brag that their 5-cent hunk of rubber does what a 20 dollar item does... you won't ever see my guitars with cheap crap on them just for the sake of bragging

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
They do and have failed for me... so to me they are junk... its worth 20 bucks to protect a $1,000+ guitar...unless the person likes to brag that their 5-cent hunk of rubber does what a 20 dollar item does... you won't ever see my guitars with cheap crap on them just for the sake of bragging
User error ? Brian May et al don’t know what they’re doing? :rofl:

jamhandy

Reaction score
Name dropping does nothing... I tried them, they failed, total crap IMHO...

Its a gimick... like "I can brag about this stupid thing I do with rubber"... if you're into gimmicks and name dropping, go for it...

I stopped believing what "the pros" do when I was 13 I think...

Last time I'll reply to this stupid argument... some people likme you troll through forums just to stir sh!t up...

Brainless troll food....

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
You drop it again it may explode!
I hope to never find out!

Name dropping does nothing... I tried them, they failed, total crap IMHO...

Its a gimick... like "I can brag about this stupid thing I do with rubber"... if you're into gimmicks and name dropping, go for it...

I stopped believing what "the pros" do when I was 13 I think...

Last time I'll reply to this stupid argument... some people likme you troll through forums just to stir sh!t up...

Brainless troll food....
Nah, just happy with a system that works.
Wow ... You guys ok?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To be fair, that pic of Warren and Derek above are them playing Duane’s guitars. They haven’t been altered at all, hence no strap locks.

Warren uses Schallers.

1596215181839.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
Dunlop’s on every guitar! Always, always double check actuation...

Latest Threads