Strap Lock Recommendations

MiniB

Reaction score
That's got to suck....but it looks like he could have lost a finger! They shouldn't have the thing there on what I assume is such a low ceiling over an elevated stage. I probably would have taken it up with the club. Not to sound like a Karen, but man that's dangerous.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I am so sold on Schallers that, when I put buttons on both ends of my classical (as i no longer have a lap to rest them in, and my legs no longer cross.....) I actually considered using Schallers on it.
When they lock, you know it. Solid and super reliable.

The only downside of the originals are the hex nut can slowly come undun. I never had that problem, but have read others have. Since reading that I coated the threads with a bit of Elmers white glue as a thread lock.

I think Dunlop was the first to come out with a straplock. I briefly had those on the Lester, but did not think much of them.

At the time they only had two little ball bearings as a retention device. Did not take too long before the female side of the lock started to wear in the slot the balls locked into. A cheap keychain grade fastener. Did not want a third drop.

They changed it to four, but I was happily using the Schallers by that time. They have a far better locking mechanism.

1595978793134.png

Last edited:

Elmore

Reaction score
I like Shallers. But you have torque ‘em down with a socket wrench. Then keep an eye on them. Used them for years, interchangeable straps on several guitars.

CB91710

Reaction score
Hate to see that happen - but I can't feel sorry for the goof.

It's called "situational awareness" (or lack thereof.....)
He's probably played that same stage a dozen times and done that same move hundreds of times.

Except tonight, he was a little closer to the drummer than before :eek2:

But seriously... I was wishing that was the singer he hoisted into the fan instead of his Lester....

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
New Schallers are redesigned. No more wearing away at the pin end... and no more metallic clanking noise either!

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
New Schallers are redesigned. No more wearing away at the pin end... and no more metallic clanking noise either!
Once the weight of the guitar is hanging from the strap, there is no "clanking" (I've always heard it as more of a squeaking); that only happens - sometimes - when putting it on & taking it off, so who cares?

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Anything, they all stop your guitar falling. Or get some fender strap buttons.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
You are going to get a different answer from everyone for this. There are multiple different locking strap solutions out there these days. Some, like the Dunlop Dual Design, have the advantage of also being able to mount a regular strap if you need to. Others, like the Schaller / Grover style, really need the lock on the strap to work well.

The Ernieball locks are nice, and I think address some of the deficiencies that dunlops have. Schaller also put out a new "S-Lock" that has some updated features that make them slightly more secure.

Which ever you choose, making sure that the strap button is SECURELY to attached to the guitar is KEY. Gibson guitars have a very large strap button on the lower body, as that is where the hook they hang on while being sprayed is installed. You need to make sure that the screw is long enough or big enough to get a good grip. Also making sure the locking end is attached to the strap is key. With dunlops, they can pretty much never come off the strap by mistake, and with ernie ball locks, the mechanism itself means that even if the strap lock nut comes undone, nothing happens.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Once the weight of the guitar is hanging from the strap, there is no "clanking" (I've always heard it as more of a squeaking); that only happens - sometimes - when putting it on & taking it off, so who cares?
The no squeaking/clanking is a happy side effect of the new design, which keeps the lock at angle which doesn’t wear away at the sides of the pin.

captdan61

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of strap locks for my just purchased Junior. A friend recommends Dunlop - any suggestions?
The rubber gasket off GROLSCH style beer bottles work great and do not devalue vintage guitars.just put your strap on your guitar then the rubber gasket on the strap button.

Latest Threads