Strap Lock Recommendations

mdubya

Reaction score
I will never buy a strap lock that does not have the guitar strap hanging from the guitar's strap button.

Schaller and Dunlop are fatally flawed in this way.

If you get the Dunlops, put your strap on the guitar's strap button and then pop the Dunlop locking mech. on the button.

I use beer and rubber washers at home. Perfect.

If I were gigging (nobody is gigging right now) I would use my time tested metal washer (nearly foolproof - but there is always a bigger, better fool - so no guarantees) solution.

There are two types of Schaller and Dunlop strap lock users:

1. Those who have had them fail.
2. Those who WILL have them fail.

MiniB

Reaction score
Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
Here's the other thing about Straplocks, in particular the Dunlop ones, which I liked on Fenders.

With a relatively long 'shaft' to the post, and the strap lock inserting on top of that, you're pulling with more 'torque' against the mounting screw. And with a wood that's rather soft like mahogany as opposed to alder, I would at least want larger mounting screws. So that's more drilling (which still happens for Gibson owners anyway, I know). But for me, on Les Paul's in particular, I like that the original strap posts and screw threads that come with the guitar are less disturbed by never taking them out to begin with if I use the washers.

Maybe that's just me but like many I've had to increase screw size a few times and even add inserts/shims on prior LP's strap post holes, much like the little screws holding on the back plate can start to get stripped pretty easily. I think this goes along somewhat with what mdubya mentions above, and I should have done what he describes...never thought of it at the time. I never had the locking mechanism fail, but I have had it pull the posts/screws out, almost completely...and during a gig too. I remember stuffing little cut pieces of a drink coaster to shim and jam it back in. Sucked because I was worrying about it for the rest of the show.

Last edited:

lawrev

Reaction score
Lock-It straps are just plain excellent. These are the only straps I use. No need to change strap buttons, except maybe vintage style Gibson buttons.

For my reissues I've replaced the vintage style with the modern large mushroom style Gibson buttons. Just always use the original screws and you should have no issues.
That's an excellent suggestion - have seen those on the Gibson USA ones for a few years now and that is as smart improvement. Plus, I don't throw a guitar around anymore while playing. :)

kenmarkat

Reaction score
I used to use a locking strap on mine and loved it - very secure and so easy to use on anything - except it started rubbing and leaving residue on the upper horn of the LP that didn't wipe off easily, so I went to a regular strap and Fender brand washers to avoid any permanent finish damage, the Fender brand looking just like the beer washers but maybe not as good, I don't know. Somewhat "un-matching" color and would slide off after a gig or so and I'd see them on the stage floor but the strap stayed put, and I don't even move much. I still use the washers occasionally but keep an eye on them during a set and when they start stretching over the peg I fix them. Maybe it's because they're Fender's version, don't know but they haven't worked out well enough for me to have a lot of confidence in them.

Had Schallers on an old Fender Lead and never an issue. I have Dunlops on a rather heavy Carvin bass and on a 12 string electric and they have worked fine on both for over 20 years, and I probably trust them more than anything else I've used. Both guitars just feel more rock solid than the other methods.

To each his own as long as you don't drop it. Some people don't want to change out the strap peg and make it non-original, and that's understandable but limits the options. There will likely be war stories for and against any of the fixes, so you just have to do what is best for your situation and own the decision. And whichever you use, don't let it drop your guitar!! If you get into the habit of checking them visually or by feel every few songs you might avoid an unpleasant surprise some time.

Natural1

Premium Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent suggestion - have seen those on the Gibson USA ones for a few years now and that is as smart improvement. Plus, I don't throw a guitar around anymore while playing. :)
Gibson doesn't sell those modern USA buttons separately, but they are usually available on Reverb if you look around. Also check out Lock-It straps. IMO a significantly better solution vs strap locks.

anorton

Reaction score
Another vote for Schallers. The rubber washers do not work for me. Must be something in the way the guitar hangs on me. I’m 5 11, 170 lbs. The rubber washers pop off every time.

moreles

Reaction score
Unless you are a touring pro whose instruments change hands on the fly, often, strap locks are just an ugly affectation that likely result in more damage than "saved" guitars. Washers and grommets do work perfectly well and look a whole lot beffer. They have the benefit of keeping the strap end where it belongs, and not an inch off the actual guitar body.

dro

Reaction score
Don't have a problem with straps coming off. Maybe I'm just not as wild as some of the rest of you. Have tried locks in the past. More trouble than their worth. Mistry to me. Be a little more mindfull of you're situation, surroundings, and expensive guitar hanging off you're shoulder.

MiniB

Reaction score
Don't have a problem with straps coming off. Maybe I'm just not as wild as some of the rest of you. Have tried locks in the past. More trouble than their worth. Mistry to me. Be a little more mindfull of you're situation, surroundings, and expensive guitar hanging off you're shoulder.
Well the stock Gibson buttons don't give a whole lot too hang onto. On some ES-335's, I got strap buttons with a much wider 'lip' (I believe they call it a 'mushroom' shape) and that helped. But rubber washers seem to work fine with thyme stock buttons. Only thing is you don't want to lose them, but probably why good to get a bunch as spares like Cozmik pointed out....or just pick up some more Grolsh beer. :beer:

Thing about an ES335 is the the top strap button is on the rear by the heel of the neck, so the strap itself could often be kind pulling away from it...more likely to come off a button, maybe even with a rubber washer. So I may still might consider something more secure on that with a dedicated strap.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
You don’t want a split neck or worse.

I cannot recall the details other than it was in the same basement with a rather low ceiling and thin carpeted cement floor. Not much room for over exuberance.

I also accidentally bashed the headstock into the ceiling but with nowhere near the force of the drops.

As stated elsewhere here, the Gibson strap buttons were not very wide.

Last edited:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Lock-It straps are just plain excellent. These are the only straps I use. No need to change strap buttons, except maybe vintage style Gibson buttons.

For my reissues I've replaced the vintage style with the modern large mushroom style Gibson buttons. Just always use the original screws and you should have no issues.
If those work for you, fine; I've tried several flavors, and have yet to find one that isn't a serious PITA to lock on. Also, I am much more comfortable trusting my instruments to metal than to plastic. And, every one I've seen is synthetic; I know the problem is pretty much vinyl straps on nitro finishes, but I've seen enough gorgeous old guitars scarred by synthetic straps that I only use leather & suede (except the classical, which has woven cotton with leather ends).

I am so sold on Schallers that, when I put buttons on both ends of my classical (as i no longer have a lap to rest them in, and my legs no longer cross.....) I actually considered using Schallers on it.

Latest Threads