Strap lock for Les Paul Jr

Kamran

Reaction score
Well its a Billie joe sig, so I'm gonna point out that he uses schallers on his juniors.

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Schaller. You can also put a couple pieces of toothpick in the hole before you install the new buttons on the guitar to ensure a solid hold.

And on the strap side, make sure you really crank down with a couple pairs of pliers to seat the locks. A little blue loctite on the threads before you put the nut on is very helpful as well.

:applause::applause::applause:

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I've lost count of the bottles of Grolsch I've drunk over the years merely to get a good supply of strap locks. The sacrifices we make . . .

JMV

Reaction score
Drinking Grolsch is MUCH more enjoyable than eating a Schaller or Dunlop lock.

YMMV.

Fuelish

Reaction score
I've lost count of the bottles of Grolsch I've drunk over the years merely to get a good supply of strap locks. The sacrifices we make . . .
:cheers: Amen!!! Why buy 'em when they come free with Grolsch (and some more obscure stuff)??? But, of course, I understand there are those who don't drink at all or don't care for the taste of Grolsch (or the more obscure stuff), and that's cool - personally, I never thought about sourcing them from a hardware store. I used to have a ton of 'em back in my homebrewing days, but I gave all my stuff to a friend in MI who was getting into it before we moved from MI to TN years ago.....am thinking about getting back into it, mainly to brew me some mead...MAN, I LOVE that stuff :cool:

politenessman

Reaction score
Well its a Billie joe sig, so I'm gonna point out that he uses schallers on his juniors.

i see that pic with you and billie joe. you dont want to get that close to him. it is common knowledge that bja has the smallest penis in the world ("its like a baby's penis!!") and you never know, that could be contagious.

Kamran

Reaction score
i see that pic with you and billie joe. you dont want to get that close to him. it is common knowledge that bja has the smallest penis in the world ("its like a baby's penis!!") and you never know, that could be contagious.

Well I wouldn't consider that common knowledge, I think most men prefer to NOT think about other dudes dicks but hey, if that's your thing who am I to hate?

But rest assured, I'm certainly not displaying any symptoms of micro-penis so I must have an unnaturally strong immune system.

Come to think of it, haven't you mentioned Billie Joe's wiener in a few other threads? Its getting weird dude.

Besides everyone knows lady gaga has the smallest penis in show business.

sixstring531

Reaction score
I guess I could color them...but then the sharpie would get all over my fingers.
I didn't use them when I drank. Don't drink anymore so I figured $3.50 to have a dozen shipped to my door was 1. Cheap and 2. Convenient.

gabba

Reaction score
Hey all! thanks for all tips and everything.

I bought a pair from Schaller but the screw size and shape is not like my Gibson's originals.

Here's some photos, you can see the difference, The size difference is not that big but I don't wanna **** up my Guitar.

k9yrdj.jpg

nqwqa1.jpg

I want some strap locks on, I dunno what I should do tho..

nick1962

Reaction score
If you don't want to change your strap buttons Planet Waves have a strap which locks around your buttons; I have had one on my Custom for several years with no problems whatsoever.

peterp

Reaction score
You should be able to use the Gibson screws on the Schaller strap locks. You can't do this with Dunlop strap locks because the stock screw head is too big, but I believe it works on the Schallers. You may want to check the depth of the Schaller countersink versus the stock knob since the Gibson screw has a shoulder, but they look fairly similar in depth from your picture.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
What's the diff between dual design and classic Dunlop?

I had the flanged button with the push button lock.

Hate them. If you don't press In the button hard enough the bearings don't go past the notch and just the tip of the shaft (giggity) goes in and it's gonna fall though it'll feel secure if you pull up on it. Relax and boom. $h!t load of gibby hittin the ground :facepalm:

The click of a locked schaller keeps me at ease

peterp

Reaction score
What's the diff between dual design and classic Dunlop?

I had the flanged button with the push button lock.

Hate them. If you don't press In the button hard enough the bearings don't go past the notch and just the tip of the shaft (giggity) goes in and it's gonna fall though it'll feel secure if you pull up on it. Relax and boom. $h!t load of gibby hittin the ground :facepalm:

The click of a locked schaller keeps me at ease

The classic Dunlop is the original with the part that attaches to the guitar shaped like a cylinder and it can only attach straps that have the Dunlop locking mechanism installed. The dual design is shaped like the stock strap button. It can obviously work with Dunlop-equipped straps, but it can also work with any normal strap. The dual is more versatile and looks more like stock.

Regarding the Dunlops sticking, one thing to note is that Dunlop does recommend that you oil them occasionally with something like 3-in-1 oil (WD40 is probably too thin). You may want to try this if you haven't -- it makes a difference. The Dunlops do look a little flimsy, but they have worked well in my guitars. I had one that became difficult to use and 3-in-1 oil fixed it.

The Schallers are really well built, but the issue I had with them is that the washers that hold the strap are too small in diameter and the nut likes to work itself loose. I had two occasions where the strap worked its way around the Schaller washers and that was with Loctite on the nut.

Dunlop/Schaller is a Coke versus Pepsi thing, but I've settled on Dunlops since the incidents with the Schallers.

LPbuc

Reaction score
Grolsch for me. A straplock AND a tasty beverage in the bargain? That's a no brainer.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Hey all! thanks for all tips and everything.

I bought a pair from Schaller but the screw size and shape is not like my Gibson's originals.

Here's some photos, you can see the difference, The size difference is not that big but I don't wanna **** up my Guitar.

k9yrdj.jpg

nqwqa1.jpg

I want some strap locks on, I dunno what I should do tho..

You can use the Gibson screws with the Schaller buttons, at least for the neck.

For the button at the end of the guitar you will either have to drill the hole in the Schaller button (not your guitar) a bit wider or use the screw they supplied.

bgarnham

Reaction score
Is there any straplock system that leaves the strap at the same distance from the body that the normal strap buttons? I think that the strap sticking out of the guitar (like with the dunlops and schallers) applies torque to the wood, and the lenght of the original screw is not designed to support that kind of stresses (specially because les pauls are heavy guitars). So, is there any straplocks that con be used with a normal strap, but that keep the guitar looking almost stock, without the metal parts sticking out of the body so much?

Latest Threads