Strap lock for Les Paul Jr

gabba

Reaction score
Hey, I own a 2010 Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior, and wanted to install a strap lock, I was thinking about a Dunlop strap lock or something. Since I don't want to make a bigger hole on my guitar from the already existing strap button hole, I decided to stop by. Is there a strap lock that its screw fits the hole that already comes with the guitar? Which strap lock would better prevent from my guitar falling? Regards, ~

JMV

Reaction score
Schaller. You can also put a couple pieces of toothpick in the hole before you install the new buttons on the guitar to ensure a solid hold.

And on the strap side, make sure you really crank down with a couple pairs of pliers to seat the locks. A little blue loctite on the threads before you put the nut on is very helpful as well.

berniedocherty

Reaction score
+1 for Schaller , i put them on all mine , never had an issue with them , make sure you fit the "cup" right side up for extra security.
peace out.

michael2003x

Reaction score
I played a little at an open mic night a couple of weeks back. A friend filmed a little on his phone.............I never realised how crap my Dunlop strap locks looked until I saw the footage......time for a couple of bottles of Grolsch I think. Maybe Schallers are different.

politenessman

Reaction score
use loxx, they fit in the existing holes very good, and the part on your guitar is tiny. nickel, black, gold.

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
All of the straplock systems have their merits. I used Dunlop a lot because their dual-design and traditional systems come with buttons that work exceptionally well as normal ones, in case I forgot my strap to a gig or rehearsal. It happened a few times and I was able to borrow a strap from a bandmate and play. Had I been using Schallers the buttons are pretty sketchy to use normally and don't fit plastic locks or grolsh washers very well either. With the Loxx, I would've had to resort to playing the gig sitting down.

Currently, I've just given up on them all and have schaller washers under the original strap buttons on my LP's. I find the straps fit in the cases better attached as well, since the other compartments are taken up by pedals and cables.

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
I played a little at an open mic night a couple of weeks back. A friend filmed a little on his phone.............I never realised how crap my Dunlop strap locks looked until I saw the footage......time for a couple of bottles of Grolsch I think. Maybe Schallers are different.

Schallers look even dumber IMO. that little pull-knob on the top of the lock just looks so stupid. At least the Dunlops have a sleek appearance from the top. So what if they stick out a little further? I flush-mounted a set on one of my LP's so it looks practically invisible. That's another option.

Grolsh washers work pretty well, as long as your strap is prepared to do 90% of the work. They look bitchin though.

River

Reaction score
8004324686_a41c4e7814_c.jpg

nauc

Reaction score
i have Schallers on my Studio and used the stock Gibson screws. the Schaller screws wouldnt work

the button near the neck needed not mods

for the one near the bridge, i had to drill out the button hole a tiny, tiny bit and grind down the Gibson screw head a tiny, tiny bit

it turned out perfect

Fuelish

Reaction score
My personal experience has been that, if the original strap pegs are properly secured in the guitar, Grolsch washers are more than adequate to the task, unless perhaps one is attempting to perform some kind of freakish gymnastics while attempting to play...but, that's just me...I have no opinion or advice on actual straplocks

8004324686_a41c4e7814_c.jpg

....couldn't help but repost River's pic :cool: ...cat seems to say, in best south Philly accent, "What're YOU lookin' at???"

Kerry_King

Reaction score
All of the straplock systems have their merits. I used Dunlop a lot because their dual-design and traditional systems come with buttons that work exceptionally well as normal ones, in case I forgot my strap to a gig or rehearsal. It happened a few times and I was able to borrow a strap from a bandmate and play. Had I been using Schallers the buttons are pretty sketchy to use normally and don't fit plastic locks or grolsh washers very well either. With the Loxx, I would've had to resort to playing the gig sitting down.

Currently, I've just given up on them all and have schaller washers under the original strap buttons on my LP's. I find the straps fit in the cases better attached as well, since the other compartments are taken up by pedals and cables.

I learned long ago after forgetting my strap (and having to use my belt as a strap for the gig) to have a checklist now any time I play a gig. I ALWAYS forget something, so I force myself now to actually check everything off that I need.

sixstring531

Reaction score
I just bought a dozen Grolsch (beer brand) rubber gaskets from ebay for $3.50. They are thick rubber that slides over your strap button with the strap on. Easy to put on, easy to take off and so far they seem to work just fine. They are orange though. I used to use mechanical strap locks but didn't really care for them.

Johnny Alien

Reaction score
I just bought a dozen Grolsch (beer brand) rubber gaskets from ebay for $3.50. They are thick rubber that slides over your strap button with the strap on. Easy to put on, easy to take off and so far they seem to work just fine. They are orange though. I used to use mechanical strap locks but didn't really care for them.

You can buy similar ones from hardware stores as well. I bought a huge bag for a couple of bucks. Way better than any strap lock system.

peterp

Reaction score
I think Schallers will work with the original screws. The original screws don't fit the Dunlops because the screw head is too big to fit in the Dunlop knob body; however, you can easily make the original screws fit the Dunlops by putting the screw (thread side) into a drill and holding a file against the screw head while the drill spins it. Keep spinning until the head diameter is reduced enough to fit.

Schallers are better built than Dunlops from a finish quality standpoint, but I find the Dunlops a much better design. I've had 3 instances where the Schaller nut either came loose (even with Locktite) or the strap came off because the washers on Schallers are pretty small. The Dunlop has a much larger washer that attaches with a clip, so the strap can't slip off and there is no nut to work loose. A lot of people like the Schallers, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I found they don't work well with a very heavy guitar like the LP. I've since changed all my Schaller strap locks to Dunlop (still have Schallers on a Hofner reissue bass that weighs something like 3 ounces).

Latest Threads