Strange serial number for R0 (60th anniversary)

JUNAE9

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I saw some R0 (60th anniversary edition) and found the serial number strange.
After 00999, I understand that a six-digit number should be used.
(00xxxx)
Am I right or not?
Thank you.

01019??????:rolleyes:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I saw some R0 (60th anniversary edition) and found the serial number strange.
After 00999, I understand that a six-digit number should be used.
(00xxxx)
Am I right or not?
Thank you.

01019??????:rolleyes:
Perhaps a 2021 model ??.............. looks to be a low number....19

Or it's a typo.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
yea I was just going to say that, but its anniversary model for 2020

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Perhaps a 2021 model ??.............. looks to be a low number....19

Or it's a typo.
It shows up that way in three places, so probably not a typo. I thought that maybe they photoshopped out the second 0 on the headstock, but then noticed it on the COA and case label as well.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they’re doing 3 different neck profiles of the R0 anniversary model.... and this how they indicate what version it is......nahhh.. that’s just dumb.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
You know.... I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Gibson was looking at changing the Serial # Conventions, because they are repeating the same serials over and over.....

Someone needs to call Gibson....ASAP

This is the most important aspect .....right here.....right now....

JUNAE9

Reaction score
It would also be strange to have a 60th anniversary model with 2021 serial number ... lol ...

In fact the only time I saw something like that (strange serial number) was with an exclusive wildwood tom murphy series.

Mattcran

Reaction score
The Wildwood special runs usually employ historic serial numbers and format. They're always the single digit, space and then 4 digits. You'll usually never see them with 6 continuous digits. I'm not sure if they essentially reuse the ones from real bursts or if they never got that high back then. The 1 in the second set of digits is nothing to do with 2021. Other limited editions have been like this too.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Wildwood special runs usually employ historic serial numbers and format. They're always the single digit, space and then 4 digits. You'll usually never see them with 6 continuous digits. I'm not sure if they essentially reuse the ones from real bursts or if they never got that high back then. The 1 in the second set of digits is nothing to do with 2021. Other limited editions have been like this too.
Interesting..... can you show other examples of this Wildwood format where the second digit doesn’t reflect the year that the instrument was made...

Mattcran

Reaction score
Interesting..... can you show other examples of this Wildwood format where the second digit doesn’t reflect the year that the instrument was made...
My 2018 Murphy is 0 0028. If you look at Wildwood by Tom Murphy section on their website you should see others

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wildwood did a bunch of Murphy guitars in 2018 and for whatever reason they gave them their own serial numbers starting with 0 0001. That'll screw with people for years.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wildwood did a bunch of Murphy guitars in 2018 and for whatever reason they gave them their own serial numbers starting with 0 0001. That'll screw with people for years.
Yes.... this would be an issue that will inspire head pain of a monumental proportions.

I guess you could have a made to measure build with a personalized serial..... so why not a dealer run.

Gibson is such a whore.

:rofl:

Mattcran

Reaction score
My 2017 Murphy limited was 9 1052. I thought they were always just called historic format serial numbers?

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes.... this would be an issue that will inspire head pain of a monumental proportions.

I guess you could have a made to measure build with a personalized serial..... so why not a dealer run.

Gibson is such a whore.

:rofl:
Actually you can't. I asked about doing a custom serial and was told (on more than one occasion from more than one rep) they won't do custom serial numbers for M2M. I even asked if I could do one like the old Music Man run where it was a sub serial number below the Gibson one and they said no. The big dealers like Wildwood, CME, GC, etc. can do it on special runs.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 2017 Murphy limited was 9 1052. I thought they were always just called historic format serial numbers?
The only ones I know that were different were the 2018 Murphy guitars exclusively at Wildwood. I think they did 40 altogether.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually you can't. I asked about doing a custom serial and was told (on more than one occasion from more than one rep) they won't do custom serial numbers for M2M. I even asked if I could do one like the old Music Man run where it was a sub serial number below the Gibson one and they said no. The big dealers like Wildwood, CME, GC, etc. can do it on special runs.
Wow .... i didn’t know that.... now there just being a picky whore....:dunno:

danzego

Reaction score
There’s another one on their site with the serial number 01056 and here’s the thing: neither one of them are actually Wildwood Spec guitars. These are run of mill 60/60’s.

Latest Threads