Strange opening act/first billed combos?

hecube

Reaction score
Aerosmith for Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Not making this up.

Hatefulsob

Banned
Reaction score
Many years ago I saw Gentle Giant open for Renaissance. Quite a few walked out as soon as GG finished. My friends and I stayed, nothing else to do, but it was a pretty big letdown.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn open for .38 special. Crowd booed srv and cheered for the stupid antics ofDonnie Van Zant. I was just a little kid and I was there for srv. I bet all those booers now claim how great Stevie was that night. Also saw Dickie Betts open for a Bruce Springsteen tribute act. At least the crowd knew Dickie was kicking ass that night.

tjbitt

Reaction score
In 2002, I saw Busta Rhymes open for David Bowie on his Heathen tour.:wtf:

meatball

Reaction score
I saw Styx open for Joe Cocker ,, Introduced their new guitar player ,Tommy Shaw ... havent missed a tour with them yet ... I think I have seen them 14 times ,,,,

sk8rat

Reaction score
led zeppelin had Mike Quashie, the limbo/fire dancer open up for them at msg in 1973.
he talks about opening for them at 0:51
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_IXAJp9Bs[/ame]

NY_7_29_73_QUASHIE2.jpg

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rush opening for Kiss.

fry

Reaction score
They were really good at this show. I suppose it being an 'Alternative' crowd, they stuck to their early albums and shunned playing dreck like 'The Flame'. But the crowd still sucked.

I heard about Cheap Trick opening for Stone Temple Pilots years ago over in Erie, Pa. I guess some of the STP crowd were real a-holes towards Cheap Trick. Myself, I'd have loved to see both those bands on the same stage.

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
Way back in the day I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt. Eddie Money opened for .38 Special.
David Lee Roth for Sammy Hagar. Stranger ones I'm sure but don't come to mind.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was not there but it always strikes me odd when I read that Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for The Who and also the Stones

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes with a couple Bugs Bunny cartoons for an opener.

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I saw Cool & the Gang open for Van Halen a few years back. They were quite good!
Yep!!! I saw the concert in Tacoma, WA. It was funny as hell. The VH fans were perplexed. I loved the Gang. :applause:

Lungo

Reaction score
A band I was in around 1992 started a show with a scene from the Ren and Stimpy show. Something about an ice cream bar.

jkbird59

Reaction score
I saw Bachman-turner overdrive open for Cheech and Chong and John Sebastian open for Steve Martin.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this one when going through some old stuff of mine

Worked an Engelbert Humperdinck concert in the late 70's at the Capitol Centre in Maryland.

The women were going crazy if I recall...

Rodney Dangerfield is listed as an opening act...

DADGAD

Reaction score
Oct 1992 I U2 perform on the Zoo Tv tour. Opening act was Public Enemy. Flavour Flav wasn't allowed into Canada due to Domestic abuse charges. Yeah Boooooooooooiiiiiii!!!!

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Around 80 or so Blackfoot was opening for Nazareth.
Most were going to see Blackfoot.

Actually both kicked ass...

I saw that combo as well,in Pittsburgh I think. At first we were there for Nazareth,but,man,ole Ricky and Blackfoot just tore it up. The next day,we all beat feet to the record store to buy Tomcattin'. A damn good concert....Was stoked Naz did My White Bicycle:thumb:

NRBQ

Reaction score
I remember seeing BTO Bachman Turner Overdrive open for Van Halen in like 86 and thought that was an odd combo. The BTO boys were loud but you could hear everything perfectly, VH on the other hand was so loud you couldn't really hear things clearly, you felt it though. That was the first Van Hagar tour, Eddie wore Jeanny Pants much like Hammer.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I heard about Cheap Trick opening for Stone Temple Pilots years ago over in Erie, Pa. I guess some of the STP crowd were real a-holes towards Cheap Trick. Myself, I'd have loved to see both those bands on the same stage.

Yeah, I luved the 'Alternative' music of the 90's. But I do remember people being pretentious and snooty about the bands that influenced their musical heroes.

Zungle

Reaction score
Joe Walsh opened for Stevie Nicks in Seattle '83 ?

Walsh crowd all the way....and on stage Walsh and his band showed why...dialing up great songs and performance's ...100% on task.

Nicks and her band were pitiful.....

Latest Threads