Strange noise problem

rlg5150

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I have a '91 Studio and it's nice and quiet in the middle position (although the switch is a little loose in that position) but very Strat-y in the neck and bridge positions. Also, if I have it in the middle and start to roll down either volume knob, it gets noisy too.

What gives? I'm ordering a new selector switch because that one is definitely wore out but is there a wiring problem too? Why would it be noisy like a single coil in the neck and bridge positions?

Thanks.

rlg5150

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it's a grounding issue. It's really strange. I get the 60 cycle hum just like a fender in the bridge and neck positions but it goes away when I switch to the middle position. Everything looks fine in the control cavity and the only problem with the pickup selector is that it's loose. It won't stay in the treble position and it moves left and right in the middle position.

Indyclone

Reaction score
sounds like your switch needs to be replaced... but I don't see how it could cause a hum issue. The only way you'd get 60 cycle hum in both the neck only and bridge only positions is if only one of the coils on both of those pickups is working. A 3 way switch can't control that.

like I said, pictures, good ones, will help

rlg5150

Banned
Reaction score

Best I can do right now. I'll be home later and post pics of the switch and anything else I need to.

rlg5150

Banned
Reaction score
There's no difference when I'm touching the strings or any metal on the guitar, and if I touch metal or wires in the control cavity I DO get grounding hum. And there's still no hum at all in the middle position. I haven't taken the pickups out but is there anything there to look for that could be the culprit?

rlg5150

Banned
Reaction score
There is some background hum simply because I'm holding the pickup selector but normally there's zero hum in the middle position. Here's what I'm talking about though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fif8PIDX3-0[/ame]

vortexx

Reaction score
What kind of pickups are in it? Are they stock? Are they split coils? Are they p-90s? I would guess the reason it seems that you are not getting hum in the middle is that they are acting like a humbucker in that position.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Have flourecent lights in the room?Or the computer on?

Latest Threads