Strange marks near edge of top, what are they?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently brought home a new Les Paul. It's not my first and I know of some of the common fit and finish "issues" but I'm not sure I've seen this before.

On the bout right where you rest your arm I think it was sanded too deep or too far in from the binding, like a gap in the top against the binding. There's a spot at the edge of the top on the cutaway side that looks the same.

Anyone ever seen this and know what causes it? Am I being too picky by not liking it? I got this LP used for a really great deal, even considering it's a faded model.

Attachments

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
It's hard to tell whether it actually dips down or is a small ledge, but it I had to guess I'd say its probably lacquer build up along the binding edge that wasn't properly scraped.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
It's hard to tell whether it actually dips down or is a small ledge, but it I had to guess I'd say its probably lacquer build up along the binding edge that wasn't properly scraped.
It dips down, into the top, like a chip or a deep sanding mark.

none2low

Reaction score
Is the finish level with the outer edge of the binding or is there a hump and then a dip?

endial

Reaction score
" I got this LP used for a really great deal, so I should just relax."

There you go. :yesway:

How 'bout pics of the whole guitar?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
" I got this LP used for a really great deal, so I should just relax."

There you go. :yesway:

How 'bout pics of the whole guitar?
This! Also, it looks like a model with a satin finish.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
It's from when they scraped the binding. Sometimes, they go a little too close to the wood/finish.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like a bit of wear,... it is after all a used instrument.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Is the finish level with the outer edge of the binding or is there a hump and then a dip?
No it isn't. The surface of the wood dips down a little, like an indent from a sanding machine or something.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Then binding was probably scrapped to deep perhaps
That's what I figured it was. I checked my receipt, I thought the shop doesn't take returns on used but they do. I paid $1420 (USD). That's why I'm humming and hawing on it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured it was. I checked my receipt, I thought the shop doesn't take returns on used but they do. I paid $1420 (USD). That's why I'm humming and hawing on it.
Why look for an excuse if you having buyers remorse..... if you find it difficult to spend that kind of money on a used guitar.... I would suggest you don’t.

Just my opinion..... and my opinions are worthless.

;)

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
binding scraping is at the end of the finishing process. if it was scraped too deep into the body the guitar would've needed to be re sprayed.

This looks way more like a bad sanding job BEFORE finishing.

if it didn't bother you at the store when you were first drawn to the guitar, then why let it bother you now?

if it really does bother you take it back. the next buyer will not care.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand as I cannot get perspective from pic, outward to inward, the binding is higher than the adjoining wood surface and there is a step up to main body of guitar?

If that is the case, somebody didn't contour binding to body. If there is a step dip between body proper and binding, the above ain't the only thing not done correctly.

Is that a consistent trough between binding and main body mass around entire body or just there at the 'arm rest'?

If [ I ] had bought it used, [ I ] would play it enough to weigh the playability and toneage against a blemish I probably wouldn't care about anyway...

Your call on bailing on it or not...

Musha Ring

Reaction score
If I understand as I cannot get perspective from pic, outward to inward, the binding is higher than the adjoining wood surface and there is a step up to main body of guitar?

If that is the case, somebody didn't contour binding to body. If there is a step dip between body proper and binding, the above ain't the only thing not done correctly.

Is that a consistent trough between binding and main body mass around entire body or just there at the 'arm rest'?

If [ I ] had bought it used, [ I ] would play it enough to weigh the playability and toneage against a blemish I probably wouldn't care about anyway...

Your call on bailing on it or not...
Sort of. So, the binding and the body are the same height, but right in that spot there's a step up after the binding/body meet, as though they sanded away part of the top to make it the same height as the binding.

It looks to me like someone was a little heavy handed with a sander before the binding went on. There is another spot on the lower cutaway horn that is the same. It runs from the cutaway outside down to the pickguard bracket.

I'm not so much totally bothered by it as I am more curious if anyone has seen this before. I've owned 8 Les Pauls and have never seen this.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it like this?

BB___MMMMMMMMMMM
Bindiing ------ Main body mass

Adinol

Reaction score
Whatever it is, the only way I can think of to fix it is to have the guitar stripped, sanded and refinished.

Unless you are willing to do that, it's not productive to consume too much time over it.

That said, I do understand how something like that could bother you. Since refinishing is not a practical option you might want to sell it and buy another.

Latest Threads