Strange E-mail Reply From Gibson Custom Shop

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
So my friends, to keep a long story short - I emailed Gibson where I was asking if they could possibly give me some insight of the 2017 second hand R8 i just bought (im trying to get as much info as I can, just out of plain curiosity). I asked to whom was it shipped when it left the factory and so on... In their reply, they told me that they cant give that kind of information to me since im not the original owner and I respect that. But they told me that the guitar left the Custom Shop factory on 8/23/2018. Since the guitar was build on 2/14/2017 (at least that is the date written in the Gibson Gold Warranty booklet) that would mean that it stood more than year and a half at their factory collecting dust... Is that even possible?

Attachments

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be possible for sure. In the Gibson dropbox links I had from a dealer friend of mine I saw a few guitars sit in there for over a year.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me a bit that it took that long to ship out. Dealers are not keen to spend a lot in high end inventory, so they'll wait for a customer looking for something like a historic before they'll order it.

Lovely guitar BTW! Absolutely love that top...

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
So my friends, to keep a long story short - I emailed Gibson where I was asking if they could possibly give me some insight of the 2017 second hand R8 i just bought (im trying to get as much info as I can, just out of plain curiosity). I asked to whom was it shipped when it left the factory and so on... In their reply, they told me that they cant give that kind of information to me since im not the original owner and I respect that. But they told me that the guitar left the Custom Shop factory on 8/23/2018. Since the guitar was build on 2/14/2017 (at least that is the date written in the Gibson Gold Warranty booklet) that would mean that it stood more than year and a half at their factory collecting dust... Is that even possible?
Yes.
Especially in 2017.
My guitar was probably sitting there for two years, if I had to guess.

BigTim

Reaction score

Well your not thr only one they said they could not say anything about your new to you les paul. They told me the same thing....like it is privacy policy stuff. It is ridiculous how a company that makes some of the worlds most kick butt guitars are so damn vague when your trying to get some answers on a guitar you now own. Fender customer service is much better at this kind of stuff. But you cannot call Fender about a Les Paul serial number!!

Mattcran

Reaction score
I had a dealer order me my first Gibson from the factory in the summer of 1998 (sg standard). I was a little shocked when I learned the serial numbers and discovered that it was a 1996!

cmcgov

Reaction score
I recall there being a time where they wouldnt ship out guitars until the previous stock had be all sold/sent out. Something to do with stores having models for over a year and not selling, then wanting to send them back or having to blow them out at low prices.

You can see that trend now on reverb with all the NOS mint/new guitars from 2017, 2018. A lot of dealers are relisting to have those guitars seem like they haven't been on the market for a full year, but still at the same price; since the 2019 model craze is happening. Hoping the lower price than full MAP 2019 models will attract a buyer. Could be a factor of why the guitar was held at the factory for a long period of time.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

they can only tell you the color, and the date it shipped, and in doing so, they confirm your serial number.

at least you'll know if its been refinished....and if its older than your thought.

Nice guitar BTW

Edgrim

Reaction score
I asked them about my two Gibsons R8 from 2017 about specs and more info. First time they didn't answer so I asked again and I get short message: "This is Gibson R8 with Custombucker pickups". :hmm::hmm:

iwkil

Reaction score
Just to add I bought an r8 recently and the manufacture date was Dec 2016, back of head-stock and Cert was 2017 and it arrived to me Jan 2019.

2 years without an owner - looks and play great though.

Lovely guitar BTW.

519tbarr

Reaction score
If memory serves me correct those guitars were first shown a half year before they made their way to stores. I remember seeing the initial release of specs on those guitars - and then it became the year that Historic's technically didn't exist in terms of the model year and Gibson did not publish them on their website at all.

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Back in early 2018 I bought a Gibson J-35 that had just arrived at the store and was being sold as a 2018 model. The serial number indicated it was built in 2015.

The R8 I owned prior to the one I have now was being sold as new and I bought it in 2018 too; it was a 2014.

I have an R6 right now, just bought from Wildwood that's a 2014 that the tag inside explains was built on 2/14/2015. That one actually isn't so unusual as Gibson just kept making 2014s past 2014 because they were doing that True Historic thing in 2015 and didn't actually have 2015 regular Historics, they just kept making 2014s.

And Gibson not wanting to tell you which merchant received the guitar is nonsense and has nothing to do with privacy. If you go to Santa Cruz Guitar's website there is a page where they document where each guitar was shipped. They don't have privately commissioned sales up there of course, but anything shipped to a dealer is listed. If SCGC feels comfortable doing it I don't know what Gibson's problem is doing it, at least in regards to which dealer had it in stock.