straightening the height screw legs on a Duncan humbucker

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put a neck pup route in a set-neck guitar this weekend, but I don't want to hog out any more wood than I absolutely have to. I was thinking that if I can straighten the legs on the Duncan, then drill & tap new holes on the flattened legs, then I wouldn't need to make room for the legs deep into the neck joint.

Anybody here ever try straightening the legs on Duncan humbucker? Do I need to remove it and heat it, or will cold bending be fine?

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I did this years ago. I don't know if they were Duncan's though. Not certain but I think you can bend them cold.

Better to ask this question on the Duncan forum or maybe ask SD tech help. The only way to know for sure is to know what kind of steel it is, properties, the heat treat process, (if any) etc..

syco

Reaction score
You would most likely have to cut old " leg/foot " off or your pup would be too wide or you might not have much up/down adjustment if you just bent it .

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Most humbuckers have the height adjustment threaded section pressed out so there is way more space/depth for threads. If you just took the leg thickness I doubt the amount of thread would last too long before stripping.

What you propose is also way more involved than simply routing the body out a little more. The woodwork is perhaps 60 seconds of effort.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I started getting into this last night. After removing the pickguard, the neck tenon is actually narrower than I thought it would be. I don't have to modify the pickup at all. The well routes for the pickup legs will totally miss the tenon. All is good.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got it all buttoned up yesterday afternoon. What started life with a single P90 is now sporting a pair of Duncan 59s. I like the look of rings on top of the pickguard. It says to the world "modified by an idiot".

abUkgQn.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
I started getting into this last night. After removing the pickguard, the neck tenon is actually narrower than I thought it would be. I don't have to modify the pickup at all. The well routes for the pickup legs will totally miss the tenon. All is good.
Even if the neck tenon had been wider, you do much more 'interference' to the glued joint by routing out for the body of the pickup, not the legs........which we could have informed you about had you included the pertinent info in the first post.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The pickup route only ended up being 1/4" deep.

ARandall

Reaction score
For reference 1/4" is the depth of the fretboard.....best get the measuring tape out again.

neoclassical

Reaction score
The custom shop at Duncan did this for me on two pups. Then I ended up using a drill press and forstner bit to deepen the guitar routes 3mm IIRC.

Latest Threads