Stove recommendations?

Skeletor

Reaction score
Always get good advice from the Backstage crew - wondering if anyone has thoughts/recommendations on a new range/stove?

The old GE that came with my house is finally starting to fall apart (I figure it was probably purchased in the 70s) - so I am in the market for a new stove/oven.
As much as I'd like a commercial grade unit - I'm working on a residential budget (hoping to keep it under about $1500 US) and I have an 80s kitchen (so sticking with a standard 30" floor standing unit).
Leaning toward natural gas unless there is a reason to stick with electric (gas hookup should be a fairly simple matter).

So - what brands should I be looking at (or more accurately - which to avoid) - maybe which lines within the brand to focus on?

Must have features? Features to avoid? (can't see the need for Wifi/Bluetooth but maybe there is a use case for it?)

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I have a Whirlpool gas with the griddle in the middle. I have to convert it over to propane because that's what our neighborhood has. It was in to $600.00 range.

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
We just got a glass top electric stove. It's more of a pain in the ass than I expected. It's not really that easy to clean and it's super easy to get gunk cooked onto it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you are not going to get a Viking gas range, then get another electric GE. Get their Café line, with a double oven that does convection. Electric ovens cook (bake) more evenly than gas, especially in consumer grade. The few seconds faster that gas will cook on the range top is a yawn.

Most consumer gas ranges are not great, until you get in the mid-$2000 price point. Get a Viking if you really want gas. Buy once. Cry once.

Otherwise GE Café with a glass top is probably the best consumer-grade one out there. We have one in one of our homes and love it.

Oh, and avoid those models with the built in air fryer. They are all junk.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Ya - the glass top is not a practical option for the way we cook (wife is Chinese - plenty of high heat wok type stuff that would kick the crap out of a glass top)

And concur with the "NOT LG" - Samsung is currently on the "Not" list as well - heard bad things about reliability on both of those

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Café line has a special high-heat front burner, that you can size appropriately.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Just looked at Viking - way too rich for my blood - cheapest one I see is north of $8K (CDN). I'd have to upgrade my house so it doesn't look out of place :)

Any thoughts on Fridgidaire or Whirlpool?

PeteK

Reaction score
Just looked at Viking - way too rich for my blood - cheapest one I see is north of $8K (CDN). I'd have to upgrade my house so it doesn't look out of place :)

The stove and microwave set we just bought is a Frigidaire. Haven't had it long enough for a long term review. Like I said earlier, the glass top is kind of a pain in the ass. It looks nice though. Also I find the pans slide around way too easy on the glass top. Like you can't even stir scrambled eggs without holding the pan steady or it will move around. That's kind of annoying. Maybe that's just our pans? I don't know. Gas wasn't an option and the regular pigtail electric burners always look kinda ghetto so it is what it is I suppose.

Skeletor

Reaction score
So Steve - for GE - Cafe line is as low as you'd risk?
(no profile or adora line)

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a GE about 2 years ago and got one of the better GE old school type stoves and it has been fine.
Think it was under 700.00

images.jpg

Only one big ass problem I just found out about a month ago.They come set up for natural gas and I have propane.

I now know they need to be converted over to propane,not a big deal but I never knew that..

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So Steve - for GE - Cafe line is as low as you'd risk?
(no profile or adora line)

No... the Profile line is very good, too. I wouldn't hesitate to get that. I just prefer the Café styling (handles, etc.).

I have no experience with Adora, however.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score

We have a Frigidaire gas stove, it was installed in the kitchen new about 6 years ago and so far, no problems with it at all. I've had gas, glass top and induction and out of all I've used, I prefer gas.

redking

Reaction score
I made the mistake of going "1 level up" from the basic model of appliances when we bought our current house and the washer / dryer and stove started having problems from very early on (both were Samsung). I have decided now that unless I am building a custom home in the future and want to have a commercial grade kitchen, I'm just going with the basic entry level appliances from now on because they just don't last, regardless of what level of bells and whistles you get. Just spend the least amount of money possible more or less because they are essentially designed to fail and be replaced.

Replaced the stove with a basic model GE and replaced the dryer with a basic model Maytag, both work fine so far. I had a repairman replace the motherboard in the washer a few years ago, so I will probably swap that out with a new basic model Maytag this summer.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Kind of looking at this one:
https://www.geappliances.ca/ranges/...o-preheat-air-fry-stainless-steel-jcgb735spss

About $1100 CDN at Costco.
I can't do the flat cooktop - double oven not really a selling point for our cooking style (I'd end up using one for storage)

I need to do some research on the grates though - would like to be able to replace the griddle with a grate and a "wok grate" might be a good thing

Latest Threads