Storing multiple pickups question

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Winders or anyone else who knows. I have a bunch of pickups (humbuckers) and I would like to know how to properly store them near each other so as not to affect the magnets. They are kind of scattered around now and I would like to put them all in one box. How far apart should they be and can I place them on top of each other if they are separated by a piece of cardboard from a cardboard box? Most are wrapped in bubble wrap and some in the small boxes they came in.

Thanks!
Skit

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Store humbuckers with the same magnet type/charge/polarity face to face, screws to slugs - which should be the way they "want" to attract each other.

P-90s and Fender style pickups with the same magnet type/charge/polarity can be stored top to bottom - again, how they "want" to attract each other.

Pickups with different magnet types/charges should be separated by at least a couple inches.

Pickups with ceramic or neodymium magnets should be somewhere else.

Cardboard or metal won't do anything but airspace is your friend, when you don't want magnetic fields to interfere with each other.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Thanks James, I know the cardboard wouldn't be any kind of barrier. I just didn't know if it would provide enough space to stack them with out problems.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Thanks James, I know the cardboard wouldn't be any kind of barrier. I just didn't know if it would provide enough space to stack them with out problems.
Give them a couple inches between different types, if you can. I often cheat and keep fully charged A3 and A2 together and fully charged A4 and A5 types together, without issue. ...but, to me, it's no big deal to return the charge to any given strength on one of my chargers.

Heck, for any MLP'er, I'd be glad to recharge their magnets/pickups for just the cost of shipping. It's easy for me. Just reach out. :cheers:

I just finished a study I was doing where I measured 21 various vintage Gibson magnets from the early 1940s to the mid 1970s at "as received" strength, at "charged to saturation" strength, and at "settled saturation after 9 months" strength.

Mick51

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished a study I was doing where I measured 21 various vintage Gibson magnets from the early 1940s to the mid 1970s at "as received" strength, at "charged to saturation" strength, and at "settled saturation after 9 months" strength.

Okay, you've got my attention. I would be interested in a synopsis.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Okay, you've got my attention. I would be interested in a synopsis.

Well, I share a great deal, but that's the type of data that takes a lifetime of collecting vintage gear and knowledge to acquire that goes into manufacturing my custom AlNiCo magnets for my company. Just giving that type of data away would circumvent all the time money and work that I put into collecting it.

I will say that none of those magnets became significantly weak over time just from existing. AlNiCo magnets don't actually seem to do that, in my experience. Earlier types of magnets, yes. That's why folks had magneto chargers in their garages for their tractors and such. AlNiCo seems rather stable, after a brief initial settling, however. I suspect that most AlNiCo magnets that folks find in old pickups to be weak were either never properly charged to begin with or experienced some unusual (not simply leaning up against a cab) shock or trauma in their life which weakened or misaligned them.

As to the particulars of my vintage magnet study, I did share some similar info and other types of PAF and vintage pickup data and internal photos/measurements in my book if you are interested in that type of thing. Like I said, I do share a great deal. I have to keep something for myself, though, so I won't be publishing specific sizes/years/numbers/magnet types/charge levels/etc. from this particular research. It's probably the only study like it that even most pros or collectors can't preform.

Latest Threads