Storage, display, but still using them.

Cmedcoff

Reaction score
I hope I'm not off topic here, but this includes my 2021 R9 so hopefully relevant.

I've got various solutions to storing my electric guitars. I've six and I rotate playing them all so nothing goes in it's case and stuck in a closet for very long.

I've got a few Hercules stands which I like. I stick to the singles. Great for temp storage - e.g. I'm playing that guitar for a few days in my office, or for having a guitar next to my bed (I'll play on nothing but strings e.g. sans amplification for practice). I've also got a Roadrunner case that holds six. It's like a big brief case that closes, good for taking to gigs where I need more than just a couple of guitars for for having lots of guitars ready to grab at my drummers place. With the pandemic the Roadrunner is now in my office holding pretty much everything.

All my my guitars have straps semi-permanantly attached, aka various strap locks in one form or another, some remove easy, others not. Easiest just to leave them on.

I don't like the Roadrunner sitting on my office floor taking up space. Makes for a cluttered loo. I could hang them. I'd considering buying or building a guitar display case or cases which would get them off the floor, leave them on display free from dust, maybe even humidified if I want to get fancy, yet be able to grab any one of them quickly should I choose to play a particular one. This may give you an idea, more than what I need but to clarify what I mean.

Thoughts, ideas of what's good, what's bad. Hanging versus storing, etc.

Maybe individual cases around the house and the I just go and grab he one I want?

Suggestions, feedback, your experiences appreciated.

--charles

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, whatever is more convenient and works with your furniture layout.
If you want something available in every room, then the single display case is convenient and classy.
If you simply want protection and generally keep everything in one or two rooms, then the larger case displaying the entire collection is a better option.

Just be sure the hangers are Hercules or one of the other brands that have a proven track record of not scarring nitro.
And do keep security in mind if the cases are visible from doors and windows. Maybe cover them with a sheet if contractors come in.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I hope I'm not off topic here, but this includes my 2021 R9 so hopefully relevant.

I've got various solutions to storing my electric guitars. I've six and I rotate playing them all so nothing goes in it's case and stuck in a closet for very long.

I've got a few Hercules stands which I like. I stick to the singles. Great for temp storage - e.g. I'm playing that guitar for a few days in my office, or for having a guitar next to my bed (I'll play on nothing but strings e.g. sans amplification for practice). I've also got a Roadrunner case that holds six. It's like a big brief case that closes, good for taking to gigs where I need more than just a couple of guitars for for having lots of guitars ready to grab at my drummers place. With the pandemic the Roadrunner is now in my office holding pretty much everything.

All my my guitars have straps semi-permanantly attached, aka various strap locks in one form or another, some remove easy, others not. Easiest just to leave them on.

I don't like the Roadrunner sitting on my office floor taking up space. Makes for a cluttered loo. I could hang them. I'd considering buying or building a guitar display case or cases which would get them off the floor, leave them on display free from dust, maybe even humidified if I want to get fancy, yet be able to grab any one of them quickly should I choose to play a particular one. This may give you an idea, more than what I need but to clarify what I mean.

Thoughts, ideas of what's good, what's bad. Hanging versus storing, etc.

Maybe individual cases around the house and the I just go and grab he one I want?

Suggestions, feedback, your experiences appreciated.

--charles
Guitar wise, hanging your guitar on display shouldn’t cause much (if any) damage to the instruments. All that weight from the strings alone, I could hardly believe hanging the guitar from where most hold it is hard to believe to me. That is, unless humidity is extreme as well as temperature and it stays hanging there. As good ol CB says up above, whatever your preference is/how you wish for it to accommodate to your furniture is what we’ll back you up on. Sorry if I’m off topic. I kinda went through in a hurry to try to find the gist. It’s not too much to read I was just busy at the moment.

truckermde

Reaction score
And do keep security in mind if the cases are visible from doors and windows. Maybe cover them with a sheet if contractors come in.
This is one of many reasons I keep my instruments stowed in their hard cases when I'm not playing them.

I used to keep a bunch on hangers, thinking I wouldn't play as much if they were put away, but it simply has not been the case since I began keeping them in their cases. I play as much as ever, and it takes less than a minute to get one out, AND put it away.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitar wise, hanging your guitar on display shouldn’t cause much (if any) damage to the instruments. All that weight from the strings alone, I could hardly believe hanging the guitar from where most hold it is hard to believe to me. That is, unless humidity is extreme as well as temperature and it stays hanging there. As good ol CB says up above, whatever your preference is/how you wish for it to accommodate to your furniture is what we’ll back you up on. Sorry if I’m off topic. I kinda went through in a hurry to try to find the gist. It’s not too much to read I was just busy at the moment.
Nitro finishes can be damaged by many commercial stands and hangers. The cheap guitar store stands are horrible.
Hercules has a good track record with their padding compound.
But no, physically hanging a 10lb guitar by the headstock when it has 90-110lbs of tension on the strings is not going to hurt it at all.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Nitro finishes can be damaged by many commercial stands and hangers. The cheap guitar store stands are horrible.
Hercules has a good track record with their padding compound.
But no, physically hanging a 10lb guitar by the headstock when it has 90-110lbs of tension on the strings is not going to hurt it at all.
Yep exactly my thoughts. I know most companies who are aware of this have switch to materials that supposedly don’t harm nitro finishes, but yes I did forget to mention that.

dspelman

Reaction score
Just be sure the hangers are Hercules or one of the other brands that have a proven track record of not scarring nitro.
We reno'd the house a couple of years ago. In the process, my wife suggested that we get the guitar cases up off the floor in the den. So we hired one of those closet companies to build in a large cabinet that has two levels of guitars behind relatively plain doors. There are something over 45 of them in there, in their cases, and you don't know they're there unless I've shown them off. The cabinet's large enough that it includes a tall stack of nooks for art (with lighting, no less), a couple of file cabinets and a small section that serves as a computer desk. Total cost approaching $6K and absolutely worth it.

I can't hang anything -- three athletic cats, a wife who cleans aggressively, crap air quality (thank you wildfires), earthquakes. I just take the time to pull down a couple that I'll be playing.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We reno'd the house a couple of years ago. In the process, my wife suggested that we get the guitar cases up off the floor in the den. So we hired one of those closet companies to build in a large cabinet that has two levels of guitars behind relatively plain doors. There are something over 45 of them in there, in their cases, and you don't know they're there unless I've shown them off. The cabinet's large enough that it includes a tall stack of nooks for art (with lighting, no less), a couple of file cabinets and a small section that serves as a computer desk. Total cost approaching $6K and absolutely worth it.

I can't hang anything -- three athletic cats, a wife who cleans aggressively, crap air quality (thank you wildfires), earthquakes. I just take the time to pull down a couple that I'll be playing.
Mine are mostly in their cases in various closets... I have 5 (cased) readily available near the bed.
No real concern with them being on the floor.... though if flooding were to happen.... hmm... maybe I should move the G&Ls upstairs and put the Epiphone and Harley Benton in the downstairs closet.....

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
In June, i took my daughters Martin to Umanov's in Greenwich village for necessary repair....after reviewing the Guitar...he became slightly agitated. He knew why the instrument needed repair....he said this guitar was left out on a stand desiccating..which over time causes a lot of problems in hi end ACOUSTIC GUITARS. HE FURTHER SAYS..GOD FORBID STORING IT ON A WALL MOUNT..A GUITAR IS NOT ART...=these guitars need to be stored in a case...and one must consider humidity requirements...... .So says Matt Umanov.....$890 and a month and a half later...The bought brand new ..not played a lot Martin that never left the house or apartment..was good as new. the takeaway....THERE ARE NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL STORAGE CONSIDERATIONS.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lean mine (7 total, all electric, 4 of them Lesters) against the bed in my guest bedroom. They are fine. Cases are clutter and they get stacked in a closet. Not much room in my studio, and I have to meke the most of it.

Pop1655

Reaction score
I'm not saying I'm right, in fact I admittedly have issues. I'm a case queen kinda guy. Mine are lined up in cases in the sliding door closet in my guest/music room. Just doesn't bother me to grab a case and lay it on the bed when it's time to play. I guess in a weird way, I enjoy the ritual. Picking a case and every time I open it I smile to see whoever is in there. I would mention, in the countless flips I've done whenever a new acquisition arrives, I have always been able to immediately tell who has lived in a case and who hasn't.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have about two dozen guitars, acoustics and electrics, that either hang from the walls on Off-The-Wall stands with hanger bras or sit on On Stage folding stands. The only time any of them see the inside of a case is when they are being transported. I have been doing this for 30 years now and have not had a single issue.

That being said:

1) I don't have kids or pets that I need to worry about getting at my guitars.
2) The temperature and humidity at my house is nearly always 75 degrees and 50%, no dry, heated winters.
3) There is no direct sunlight on any of my instruments.

Your situation may be different but this has worked for me for a few decades now and I have no reason to change.

catstrat

Reaction score
Hanging is safe, as many have mentioned, the strings put more tension on the neck than actually hanging it.

As soon as I have the space and time Im building one of these for myself.

rogue3

Reaction score
... Maybe cover them with a sheet if contractors come in....
There is a lot of truth to this.I have this pita everytime the furnace tech comes in for annual checkup.Attention to the furnace becomes secondary to..."wow, nice guitars"...followed with a dozen questions.
I'm convinced people have an instinctive gut reaction to seeing guitars on stands.Its visceral,and all of a sudden,nothing else matters. :shock:

Pop1655

Reaction score
There is a lot of truth to this.I have this pita everytime the furnace tech comes in for annual checkup.Attention to the furnace becomes secondary to..."wow, nice guitars"...followed with a dozen questions.
I'm convinced people have an instinctive gut reaction to seeing guitars on stands.Its visceral,and all of a sudden,nothing else matters. :shock:
Yep. Again, I admittedly have issues, but I seldom enjoy talking guitars outside of here. Most people, even most I know well would be surprised to learn I play and what I have. My music room is an upstairs bedroom with a closed door most close friends don’t know exists.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have 5 guitars, and rotate them from time to time always having 3 available to quickly grab and play. Seems to be working fine, they are usually always in tune when I pull one down to play.

wallofguitars.jpg

Latest Threads