Stop bar issue?

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I've started having an issue with my LP build. I've gone through about 6 high E strings. I'll put one on and tune up and stretch it and everything seems fine. Then within a day or two I'll pick it up and it's a step to a step and a half flat. I try to tune it up and it won't come up to pitch. Eventually the string comes out of the tailpiece and the ball drops on the floor. Is it possible that the winding is catching on something and unwinding the string as I try to tune it? Any other thoughts? I guess I could try top wrapping and see if it still happens.

By the way, these are the same strings I have used since the 90's (not that they're that old) and that I use on all of my electrics and this is the only one having the issue.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
This has been happening to me lately.
What brand of strings are you using?

Biddlin

Reaction score
I did have a similar issue with Ernie Ball strings a few years ago. I switched to NYXLs and haven't had a recurrence.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You have a bur in the tailpiece. I recommend this product to de-bur the hole.
That is what I was thinking. Something in there is damaging the string and retensioning breaks it.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eventually the string comes out of the tailpiece and the ball drops on the floor.
JUST the ball end, as in, unwrapped?

Or broken with a stump of string still wrapped around it...

Broken string and stump, likely a burr as mentioned.

Naked ball? Likely defective strings...

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with Darrell. If the string is coming unwound around the ball, with just the ball end falling off and not actually breaking, that's an issue with the string, not the guitar. Try a different brand of strings. Just because you've used those for so long doesn't mean there isn't a problem with them. Nothing fails, until it does.

ARandall

Reaction score
However, another clue is the unrolling.....if in case that is what is going on.
Strings, once threaded in place, do not move very much in the tailpiece during the tuning/stretching process.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I get my strings in bulk from a wholesaler.
He assures me (and everybody else, of course) that his strings are a very well-known brand...he's just not allowed to say what brand because he sells them for 2.75/set.
Anyway...on 2 of my more oddball guitars (a Dano and a Kay), the E strings have been unraveling.
Same symptom.
The other day, one went flat and while I was tuning it back up, I could see the ball end unraveling.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score

So if some E strings from one brand have problems than ALL E strings from that same brand must also exhibit the same problem to the same extent?

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then within a day or two I'll pick it up and it's a step to a step and a half flat. I try to tune it up and it won't come up to pitch. Eventually the string comes out of the tailpiece and the ball drops on the floor.
^^^^ And there's another clue my dum a$$ used. A burr would snap the string like a set of wire cutters. Especially while tuning up.

OP states strings go flat (they do that when they unwind, fyi. Lower string tension results in lower pitch), and that further tuning cannot raise it to pitch (more unwinding and not breakage there too)...:hmm:

OP also states it takes a couple days... I have not yet in my humble amount of experience seen a slow moving pinch or burr break that detunes a couple of days before it lets go. :shock:

Mine have all been pretty instantaneous when they let go, and here's another clue..... It usually doesn't go flat from a burr. :eek2:

Tuning to pitch would not be a problem. There would be no detuning. The extra stresses of say, bending or over tuning would bring about the end pretty quick.

There are several threads in here about defects within string sets by DiAddario and DR to name 2. And the problems seem to come and go with time and different batches or countries of origin.

OP could contact the string Mfg and tell them what is going on. Most will replace them for the trouble.:dude:

So if some E strings from one brand have problems than ALL E strings from that same brand must also exhibit the same problem to the same extent. Got it. Thanks for cleaning that up for my dumb ass.
Thanks James! I'll buy ya a coffee! :cheers:

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I use only D'Addarios, and I almost never break one for any reason. But out of an abundance of caution I have been known at times to solder the wrapped end on plain strings.

I have had ball end slippage on other brand strings before I switched to D'Addario. But never on a string that I soldered.

Tone_Chaser

Reaction score
I use D'Addarios too and haven't had this issue until now.

I appreciate the input, I think I will contact them and see what they say. I could always try and solder one and see what it does.

ARandall

Reaction score
Superglue might also do the trick. Sometimes the solder doesn't want to stick.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Superglue might also do the trick. Sometimes the solder doesn't want to stick.
I think solder sticks to nickel...hmmm...can't remember, actually.
My string guy sent me a length of shrink tube and suggested I put it over the wraps.
Haven't done it yet.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
So if some E strings from one brand have problems than ALL E strings from that same brand must also exhibit the same problem to the same extent?
Well...I don't think this is any longer done by guys/gals sitting by machinery wearing magnifying specs.
I would imagine that a machine set up properly to wrap string ends would do them all uniformly and properly; and if something were to go out of whack, the machine would turn out one equally faulty string after another.
So...the answer to your question could be "yes".
Unless there are several machines making E strings.
Also...I'm as sure as I can be that the number of guitar string factories is nowhere near the number of brands.
There are some people who know which factories are making which strings and they giggle when someone states how much better brand X is than brand Y, when they're the same strings in different packages.

Latest Threads