stolen identity

sk8rat

Reaction score
someone filed for unemployment with my information. they hacked my works system and quite a few people got hit. now I am left with the task of getting this sorted because they didn't secure their system well enough. worst of all is they aren't even accepting responsibility for it. I asked for a day off yesterday so I could sort this out and they wouldn't even give me that.

Boss 302

Reaction score
someone filed for unemployment with my information. they hacked my works system and quite a few people got hit. now I am left with the task of getting this sorted because they didn't secure their system well enough. worst of all is they aren't even accepting responsibility for it. I asked for a day off yesterday so I could sort this out and they wouldn't even give me that.
I am not sure about your neck, of the woods.
But I have been getting lots of emails warning, of covid 19 scams & hacks.
Apparently the scammers & hackers are taking advantage, of the lock down.

I hope you get it sorted, quickly.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had my Amazon account hacked. My bank is investigating now and has put the missing money back in my account on a provisional deposit.

The fuckers bought a $220 cribbage board on a mirrored account of mine.

I almost let it go just to find out wtf a $220 cribbage board would look like...lol.

Royal PITA to fix it since I caught it as pending withdrawal and neither my bank nor Amazon would stop it before it went through. left me with a mess to clean up.....assholes!!

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just had my Amazon account hacked. My bank is investigating now and has put the missing money back in my account on a provisional deposit.

The fuckers bought a $220 cribbage board on a mirrored account of mine.

I almost let it go just to find out wtf a $220 cribbage board would look like...lol.

Royal PITA to fix it since I caught it as pending withdrawal and neither my bank nor Amazon would stop it before it went through. left me with a mess to clean up.....assholes!!
Enable 2 step authentication if you haven't already

jb_abides

Reaction score
While I've experienced identity theft and having to cycle thru stolen credit cards, the real PIA has been a fairly common and persistent scam: people file fraudulent tax returns under my SSN, seeking massive refunds. It's happened for successive years in a row, the IRS acknowledges the issue is widespread, and still doesn't have a grip on it. It's F'd up my tax situation for quit some time. Very discouraging. Have to provide copies of my IDs every time I interact with the IRS.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
ID theft is a fucking plague.

About a year ago, because she had to identify herself for a transaction,
my wife found out she didn't have her driver's license and another important ID in her purse.
She couldn't remember the last time she had to pull them out to identify herself.
These were the only two pieces missing.
So after looking around for a while she declared them lost/stolen and asked for their replacement.
She called the Credit bureau and asked to be put "on watch" and contacted for any demand they could receive.

About 2 weeks later, she gets a call:
-"Are you currently asking to finance a $35,000 Camping Trailer purchase?"
-"No."
-"There is someone at a Dealer trying to get possession of a Camping Trailer under your name."
-"It is not me. Have the person arrested".
-"You would have to file a complaint with the Police."
-"Well, the person is going to have a whole lot of time before the cops can take my deposition.
Can't the dealer call the cops right now since they are also in the process of being defrauded?"
-"Since the final approval is pending they have not been defrauded "yet" (!).
-"I'll call the Police right now".
-"OK, we'll be in contact".

Sure enough she had to go to the station, make a report and the Dealer people couldn't hold
the culprit who had left when too much time was going by and the soup started boiling.
I'm pretty sure there wasn't even an inquiry about it.
I wouldn't be surprised someone at the Dealer was also on it (?).

Here's the strangest part:
at least 6 months later, wife is looking for something else and she finds her 2 ID pieces!
Most probably the kids had played with them and probably misplaced them while playing.
It's the only thing that would explain it.
Anyway, it's even stranger now to know that the Camping Trailer hack did not originate
from her ID cards being stolen. It came from... nowhere! (?).

So it was by pure accident that she was able to avoid being hacked for $35,000 !

:dunno:

I think that the penalties for ID theft and fraud should be revised so even the "ID-iots"
would think twice before doing it.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Calling it "identity theft " is the first problem. They didn't steal my identity, they stole YOUR money by exploiting flaws in YOUR security.

The fact that a scammer tricked you into giving them money really shouldn't be anyone else's problem.

sk8rat

Reaction score
Calling it "identity theft " is the first problem. They didn't steal my identity, they stole YOUR money by exploiting flaws in YOUR security.

The fact that a scammer tricked you into giving them money really shouldn't be anyone else's problem.
can you read? my employers system got hacked. also they didn't steal my money. the stole my personal information and used that to apply for unemployment. this has nothing to do with me handing over my own information to scammers because that didn't happen. next time you're about leave a stupid reply you should probably try reading the whole post first to maybe avoid it.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I am not sure about your neck, of the woods.
But I have been getting lots of emails warning, of covid 19 scams & hacks.
Apparently the scammers & hackers are taking advantage, of the lock down.

I hope you get it sorted, quickly.
I called my bank and they said it's happening to a crazy amount of people right now.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
can you read? my employers system got hacked. also they didn't steal my money. the stole my personal information and used that to apply for unemployment. this has nothing to do with me handing over my own information to scammers because that didn't happen. next time you're about leave a stupid reply you should probably try reading the whole post first to maybe avoid it.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, when I said "you," I meant the institution who got taken. I'm with you on this. The fault here is whoever didn't ensure that it was really you. So probably the unemployment office.

The person the scammer stole from is unemployment, or your company, or the bank if they scam for credit. I object to the fact that the banks and such make it like they ripped you off, the consumer. They screw with the consumer's credit, and make it the victim's problem far more than they ought to. The bank got scammed by an impostor. That should not be your problem, but they very much try to make it like it is, including selling protection against it.

Latest Threads