Still having tuning issues with my Junior

punx77

Reaction score
Was this for me?

I don't know everything there is to know as far as build quality for my new LPJ, nor do I know a lot. But so far, it's made very well to me IMO. No issues so far. Like I've said before, mine is so easy to play and looks bad ass. It's certainly fun to play it. One of my buddies is jealous of it, and says "Man, this is one sweet lady".
But LPJ and Junior is not the same model and I have no idea about the LPJ because I've never played one. Maybe they're of better quality, I don't know.

From what I've heard though there might be difference in quality between the different years the Junior was released?

LPJNoob

Reaction score
But LPJ and Junior is not the same model and I have no idea about the LPJ because I've never played one. Maybe they're of better quality, I don't know.

From what I've heard though there might be difference in quality between the different years the Junior was released?

LPJ is short for Les Paul Junior...are there 2 different "junior" models or something?(I ask as i don't know). When you say "junior"...I was assuming you meant one like mine pictured.

rjshare

Reaction score
an lpj:

a les paul junior:

although there are exceptions to this, generally speaking a junior is a flat mahogany body with mahogany neck, one single p90 pup and a combined bridge/tailpiece known as a wraparound. it has been around since the dawn of time.

the lpj is a recent model that has a normal les paul full sized mahogany body with carved maple cap, generally a maple neck i believe, two humbuckers with full lp style controls and a nashville bridge with separate tailpiece.

:thumb:

LPJNoob

Reaction score
an lpj:

a les paul junior:

although there are exceptions to this, generally speaking a junior is a flat mahogany body with mahogany neck, one single p90 pup and a combined bridge/tailpiece known as a wraparound. it has been around since the dawn of time.

the lpj is a recent model that has a normal les paul full sized mahogany body with carved maple cap, generally a maple neck i believe, two humbuckers with full lp style controls and a nashville bridge with separate tailpiece.

:thumb:

Oh! My bad......doesn't 'LPJ' on the red guitar mean "Les Paul Junior" as well? What's the deal with the two different ones?

rjshare

Reaction score
no lpj isnt an acronym for anything - that is the name of the model. dont ask why - this is gibson!!

(and just to confuse the issue more, the lpj came out at the same time that they discontinued the junior, so it was effectively it's replacement)

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
When I bought my 2011 Junior, I first tried the one with the tobacco sunburst matt finish. Meh, sounded a bit dull. The guy in the store then handed me the one with the gloss finish - woah, what an animal of a guitar. Really responsive, intonation is good with the lightning bar, sold. Thank you.

LPJNoob

Reaction score
no lpj isnt an acronym for anything - that is the name of the model. dont ask why - this is gibson!!

(and just to confuse the issue more, the lpj came out at the same time that they discontinued the junior, so it was effectively it's replacement)
Yep. That is confusing.

ryanmichael95

Reaction score
I've owned 4 Gibson guitars, including the two I have now. No tuning issues with any of them.

OP: I wish I could have you play my Trad Pro for an hour. You'd not give up on Gibson.

ddh101

Reaction score
I have four Fenders and two Gibson's Les Pauls - one of those is a Junior, and I have zero tuning problems with any of them.

There are a limited number of variables that affect tuning. Assuming the body/neck is stable, all the other variables are manageable - tuners, nut, strings and bridge/intonation. If the variables have been tended to, then I'm guessing the body/neck is not stable. May be more subject to heat/cold and variations in humidity than most. If that's the case, which would be very rare, then that particular guitar may never be right. That's not a gibson issue, that's a "wood" issue.

politenessman

Reaction score
Yep. That is confusing.
i saw the photo in your other thread. you have a junior. flat top mahog, 1 p90, wrap around bridge, dot inlays and usually 3 on a side strip tuners. people used to call it an lpj for short, but people cant do that now because there was a very basic lp model called the lpj thats was around recently. the recent lpj has carved maple top, trap inlays, 2 humbuckers, tune o matic bridge/tailpiece, kluson tuners and a crown headstock inlay (decal?). they lpj came in a satin finish, the junior came in satin, faded, gloss, etc.

punx77

Reaction score
I've owned 4 Gibson guitars, including the two I have now. No tuning issues with any of them.

OP: I wish I could have you play my Trad Pro for an hour. You'd not give up on Gibson.
I'm not saying all Gibsons have tuning issues, I just agreed to what someone else said, that a lot of people seem to have this problem with their Gibsons much so more than Fenders for some reason. But it doesn't have to be true. I don't know and I don't really care to be honest. I didn't have a good experience with my Gibson Junior and I think that quality was a let down. For me Gibson was always synonymous with luxury almost. While Fender was the working mans guitar, a Gibson was something one could only dream of. But that was just in my head.

Of course Gibsons are not bad guitars, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular. Maybe I just got hold of a bad example. That's most likely the problem. I think I'd still like to own a Junior or Special one day and I hope Gibson will release them again (not talking about the experimental 2015 models).

Hergz

Reaction score
I had the same problem and installing a bone nut took care of it.

punx77

Reaction score
I just scored another Junior Pelham Blue YEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::naughty::naughty::dude::dude::dude::dude::dude:

I hope the 2013 is better than the 2011 :)

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
I response to the original post, I dug out my 2011 Junior. Now, this has been stood in its carry case for the best part of the last year leaning against my record collection.

I took it out of the case and tried it and guess what? It was still in tune - well almost, the B was slightly flat. I gave it some strumming and string bending (incidentally, why does it seem easier to bend strings on a Junior than a Custom when they are the same gauge?). Absolutely no problems at all with it.

It is also completely stock, so it's as it came from the shop. I've never had to tweak the wraparound or the truss rod.

It's one of these in tobacco burst by the way:

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Jr.

punx77

Reaction score
I response to the original post, I dug out my 2011 Junior. Now, this has been stood in its carry case for the best part of the last year leaning against my record collection.

I took it out of the case and tried it and guess what? It was still in tune - well almost, the B was slightly flat. I gave it some strumming and string bending (incidentally, why does it seem easier to bend strings on a Junior than a Custom when they are the same gauge?). Absolutely no problems at all with it.

It is also completely stock, so it's as it came from the shop. I've never had to tweak the wraparound or the truss rod.

It's one of these in tobacco burst by the way:

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Cool! I hope my new one will be just as good because the last one was just terrible at holding tune. What are the stock strings, is it .009? I think I put .010 on my other one.

Latest Threads