Still having tuning issues with my Junior

punx77

Reaction score
Been having tuning issues with my Les Paul Junior 2011 since I got it. I've been close to selling it because I'm sick of it. I've had Epiphones made in china that were built better, but yet something is holding me from getting rid of it. It's a pretty classic and cool guitar still.

Anyhow, I have replaced the nut with a better one done by a skilled luthier and initially I thought problem was solved because it seemed better, but I still have problems. It's mainly G that goes flat. One bend can be enough and sometimes just playing. Very frustrating as I cannot trust this guitar.

I'm not sure how much money I want to invest in fixing this problem, but what do you guys suggest I try next? A new bridge maybe? I think the luthier mentioned that if the nut didn't fix the problem, then maybe it could be the wrap around bridge and that we should try cutting out small marks in the bridge for the strings to settle into, almost like a nut. Dunno if that sounds reasonable?

duke1098

Reaction score
Dude. Flip it and buy another one. Gibsons are notorious for going out of tune with the slightest bit of handling but sounds like you've scored a lemon. You can either throw more good money at the problem and still have problems or you can roll it and let someone else deal with it.

punx77

Reaction score
I sort of agree with you, still I'm having a hard time letting it go because it's a Pelham Blue and they are not produced anymore and I certainly don't want a 2015 version with robot tuners and all that crap.

But yeah, I can't be spending a fortune on fixing the problem that possibly won't allow itself to be fixed.

ddh101

Reaction score
Most Juniors prefer a wound G string to get the intonation right - or as right as a junior gets. The '11's have the lighting bar tailpiece. It should be pretty easy to dial in. Don't get rid of it. They're monsters when you get the setup right.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
There has to be a reason why it's going out of tune. Is this just on the G string? If so that eliminates 95% of the guitar. By the laws of physics, it can only be the string itself, the nut, the tuner or the bridge. And Juniors have a wraparound bridge so it can't be that.

When you fine tune, do you hear any string 'pinging'? That will tell you if the there is friction at the nut.

Are you pre-stretching the strings prior to playing?

Is the string slipping on the tuner, or is the tuner itself not holding the tension?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I agree with Lucidsounds.
Go through the list.
There has to be a reason.
If it's the guitar, a competent luthier should be able to find it.

4 things relate to the one string:
Tailpiece opening irregularity?
Saddle irregularity?
Nut?
Tuner? (Is it the type that can be "tightened"?)

Frogfur

Reaction score
Dude. Flip it and buy another one. Gibsons are notorious for going out of tune with the slightest bit of handling but sounds like you've scored a lemon. You can either throw more good money at the problem and still have problems or you can roll it and let someone else deal with it.
solve the problem. Your answer to dump it is not helpful. He needs to learn how to solve problems, not to go from one to another.
And Gibsons are not known for tuning issues. I've been playing them some 50 years with pretty good luck..and you?..

Cjsinla

Reaction score
G string problems are common on Gibsons, it's probably the nut, put some lube in there.

rikko

Reaction score
Nut lube?

Always giving the string (which is hopefully stretched out well)
a tug and tuning UP to pitch?

Just thoughts...

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
tighten the tuner post bushings

make sure that the nut is cut properly for your string gauges

STRETCH YOUR STRINGS!!!

I usually apply a fair amount of tension on a new string when I'm stringing it up, as most of the "stretching" that strings require is within the wraps around the tuner post. If you're stringing them up at zero tension and just tuning them up to pitch this will definitely cause the aforementioned issue of "bending strings flat". If its slipping between flat and sharp then its most likely an issue with the nut slots - some luthiers for whatever reason still use "V" profile files to cut nut slots, because it saves time. The problem is, strings will bind in that sharp-cornered valley caused by the file. A lot of out-of-the box guitars surprisingly have this issue too - 5 seconds with a proper "U" profiled file and all is well again.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I have fixed this problem, when I install strings I tighten up tight and tune down. Lub is one thing I put all new strings installs. Lesser guitars than yours stay in tune.

punx77

Reaction score
Guys, thank you all for the wonderful help but hear this...

It all went very fast. Put it up for sale and within the hour I had a buyer and now it is gone. I never thought I would say this remembering how happy I was to get a hold of one of these, but I feel relieved because we never bonded. I think it's a beautiful guitar, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and the P90 is AMAZING but I don't like how it sits in my knee when I am playing sitting down and this tuning instability problem really threw me off. Never experienced this on any of my other guitars. I could bash them against the wall and they would still hold tune. Never had to pull the strings or lub any nuts (lol?). I don't think Gibson is for me. Maybe I'll try it out again some day, but for the moment I am happy to have passed it onto someone else who will appreciate it more than I did. You should have seen the look on the buyers face. He was like SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY lol.

Thank's again guys.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibsons are notorious for going out of tune with the slightest bit of handling.
Really? I guess the 25 or so that I own must be unique. I don't have that problem.

punx77

Reaction score
Really? I guess the 25 or so that I own must be unique. I don't have that problem.
To be honest I hear people complain about this quite a lot when it comes to Gibson, more so than Fender, so maybe there is some truth behind this? But I have no idea really. All I can say though is that I tried this one Gibson and it had terrible tuning problems. I used to have an Epiphone Slash Sig and I can't remember having any tuning issues with that one either.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OP, please upload pic of the tuning pegs with how you have the guitar strung around them. This is likely the issue. If its not pinging and not that, its a bum tuner altogether. I'd fix that before getting rid of a guitar I like.

Shogun

Reaction score
Probably happens because you don't have a g-force, brass nut & wider fretboard. Sell it and buy a 2015 for twice the price.

If not:

punx77

Reaction score
OP, please upload pic of the tuning pegs with how you have the guitar strung around them. This is likely the issue. If its not pinging and not that, its a bum tuner altogether. I'd fix that before getting rid of a guitar I like.
I really think that was not the case. I had the same problem no matter if it was strung by the seller I bought it from, by me or the professional luthier. Either way, never had this problem on any other guitar.

Latest Threads