Still Discovering Tom Petty

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I never cared for Petty back in the 80's -90's.
I couldn't stand his voice.
I just could not understand how anyone could listen to him or Jagger.

Fast forward to now and the Stones and Petty are thick in my playlist.
I really like how I can sing and play guitar at the same time with Petty songs.
He was a great song writer and musician.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, watch the documentary. It's really long but you'd never believe how many songs he's had a hand in

James R

Reaction score
Also, watch the documentary. It's really long but you'd never believe how many songs he's had a hand in
That doc is kick ass!
We put it on one rainy sunday afternoon and thought there was no way we'd get through it in one sitting, but when it was over I realized I could've easily watched another couple hours of it.
One of the best rock docs I've seen.

slug_maine

Reaction score
That doc is kick ass!
We put it on one rainy sunday afternoon and thought there was no way we'd get through it in one sitting, but when it was over I realized I could've easily watched another couple hours of it.
One of the best rock docs I've seen.
Which one? I just did a quick search, seems there's more than one. 400 Days?

Vortex

Reaction score
You should also check out Mudcrutch, if you havent already done so.

Last band I was in we did Scare Easy and Lover Of The Bayou plus a few Petty songs. Been listening since early on but every once in a while I find something "new" or just haven't heard in a long time.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Watch some concerts. You appreciate how good the band is. Any version of the band
Saw him with Dylan and the Dead a handful of times (circa '85-87, IIRC). Great performances.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I liked Tom Petty up until the release of Full Moon Rising. I don't know why but, I strongly disliked that album and it kind of spoiled TP for me. Much like Born in the USA did regarding Springsteen. I guess I am not that into pop garbage.

sonar1

Reaction score
Of course I was familiar with Tom Petty. Long career etc.

A friend put his entire CD collection on a thumb drive, and ran me a copy.

So there I was cruising Rt 80 west on my way home from Denver last year:
As I crossed Nevada all his Tom Petty albums played while the sky held high clouds with the sun peaking through, for hours.

It was a spiritual awakening, and now Tom Petty is my higher power.

M@nChild

Reaction score
your missen out mane, break down shows your technical bluish skills, Mary janes last dance get them country girls hot and bothered, running down a dream sets u up for a kid 10 months later.

Be sure to Petty safely!

rikko

Reaction score
SCORED this 2 lp set at Walmart on a supply run!
Already had this on CD & it was a major component in the soundtrack whilst my Wife & I were courting many years ago...

Attachments

fry

Reaction score
I got into Tom Petty a little later, but damn, I loved his music when I finally learned to appreciate it. I really think the Heartbreakers were probably the best band ever to come out of the United States. He was at a venue about 20 minutes from my house on the final tour, and I didn’t go, and I can’t remember why. Joe Walsh was the opening act! I am going to kick myself for ever for not going. Had no idea that that was going to be the last chance ever.

MSB

Reaction score
he was one of the nicest guys too. I worked at a music venue in HS/early college and it was always a treat when he played. I didn't care much for his music for the longest time because all you heard were the same 5 songs on repeat, but his live stuff is always worth watching imo

Latest Threads