Stewmac Epiphone Les Paul upgrade kits

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
The Wilkinson tuners on my Epiphone 335 were meh. I replaced them with Klusons and there was clear and immediate improvement. Plus they look much better. :)

Deek

Reaction score
I might have fallen for something like this before I posted some questions here (or at least thought about it). Adjusting pup height was all I needed to love the sound of my 15 plus top pro (and I have a 2014 Gibson Traditional to compare it to). Huge huge huge difference. Tuners are fine, switch needed contact cleaner, and the push pull pot I never use does not function, but a new nut and bridge were worth the very small investment.

Last edited:

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
My last two Epiphones (2016 Custom Pro and 2018 Sheraton Pro, came perfect as thet were. Both had the ProBuckers and both give me quite a variety of great tones. The hardware is actually exceptional, even compared to their Gibson counterparts.

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
I'm definitely crazy. I bought an Epiphone ES-335 Pro for like $379 last Christmas. I replaced the tuners, truss rod cover, nut, pickup rings, wire harness, knobs, switch tip, bridge, tailpiece, and pickguard with @CreamTone parts and replaced the pickups with Duncan Antiquities. Got over $1,000 tied up in it. Totally and absolutely worth it. It plays like a dream and sounds absolutely amazing. Also kept me from spending some ungodly amount of money on a Gibson '62 335 RI.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I'm definitely crazy. I bought an Epiphone ES-335 Pro for like $379 last Christmas. I replaced the tuners, truss rod cover, nut, pickup rings, wire harness, knobs, switch tip, bridge, tailpiece, and pickguard with @CreamTone parts and replaced the pickups with Duncan Antiquities. Got over $1,000 tied up in it. Totally and absolutely worth it. It plays like a dream and sounds absolutely amazing. Also kept me from spending some ungodly amount of money on a Gibson '62 335 RI.

Not to mention that it's fun as hell to do the mods.
And in my head, I feel just a little closer to that guitar.
( Basketball Jones is playing in my head now)

I bet a large percentage of people that do modifications to their guitars, do it because it's fun.
The "making it better" part is just the excuse.

And I'll chime in on Epiphone tuners.
My three Epi's all came with different tuners
My 2003 Custom has 16:1
My 2012 Trad came with 14:1
and My 2015 Custom has 18:1

ALL tuners function just fine.
I must say that I do not care for the 14:1 knowing that 16 or even 18 turn ratio's are available.

To be honest. The only thing that REALLY needed replacing on the Epiphones was the nut.
A stock Epiphone cut nut, from the back drawer at Long & McQuade is all I needed but I later went for a black Epi cut Tusq nut. Neither of the aftermarket nuts needed ANY filing. I don't know why Epiphone can't get it right. !!!

I think that part of the enjoyment I get from modding the guitar is searching for all the stuff.
StewMac is taking that fun away.
And providing meh choices for mucho bucks.

moreles

Reaction score
Why buy an Epi if you then have to reassemble it with different parts? If buying stuff and tinkering is fun for you, and you don't care about the cost, fine -- but it's pretty strange to purchase a guitar that you consider so inadequate as to require such an overhaul. I have rarely encountered a decent guitar for which PU adjustment, other mechanical adjustments, and maybe a cap swap don't lead to fine tones and playability.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Why buy an Epi if you then have to reassemble it with different parts? If buying stuff and tinkering is fun for you, and you don't care about the cost, fine -- but it's pretty strange to purchase a guitar that you consider so inadequate as to require such an overhaul. I have rarely encountered a decent guitar for which PU adjustment, other mechanical adjustments, and maybe a cap swap don't lead to fine tones and playability.
Kind of like what people would say if you purchased a Volkswagon and tried to mod it into a Porche.

My Les Paul Classifieds