Steward mac white donut and drilling rod anchor for truss rod

Gothika777

Reaction score
2 random queries really.

Truss rod:

Would it be better to drill the anchor hole for a traditional truss rod first before routing the channel or not? Would be hard to center after the channel is routed right?

Binding channel:

I did ask stewart mac if they sold the white doughnut collar for the true binding channel jig and they said no. I've seen pics on this forum where people have used something similar quite sucessfully for routing binding on a router table. Since stewart mac doesnt sell it separately, does anyone have the rough dimensions for one?

Marty M.

Reaction score
On all my Gibson style builds with a vintage style rod, I've routed the channel and then made the truss rod anchor hole after making or buying the rod. After that hole is drilled, I've cut or drilled my truss rod nut cavity. I have done it multiple ways. In some cases, I've made and glued in a ramped filler strip for the peghead end to give it some curvature. In other cases I just made the channel go deeper into the heel end like vintage LPs.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I have turned a couple. I have a small Jet wood lathe. I used HDPE. Chucked it, 1 1/2 " diameter, bored it, hand cut a bevel and used cut-off chisel to take it off the stock. 2 1/4" round bar stock would leave more material for size flexibility.

Any ring with 3/8" wall thickness, about 1/2" tall and ideally, 2 1/4" outer dia. and 1 1/2 inner dia. can be centered over cutter and silicone glued to trimmer plate.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a doughnut outta maple.
SDC12982.jpg

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
re tr anchor. you can always rip a narrow strip of hardwood to tap into the truss rod channel in order to have a center for your drill bit, then just pry out the pieces after the hole is drilled.

Latest Threads