Stew Mac vs Lollars?

thisnameistak3n

Reaction score
I'm building an SG from scratch, and im trying to figure out if i should get lollar pickups ($330 for both) or the cheaper ones from Stew Mac (Golden Age parsons street- $120 for both) Im kind of wary about buying pickups that are that cheap in comparison to the lollars, but i would like to save some money. any suggestions on which ones to go with?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The money spent on the Lollars will soon be forgotten and you will have quality for the rest of your life. Saving money on buying the StewMacs will leave you wanting for more and you may end up buying the Lollars in a few months anyway;

GammyBird

Reaction score
Do it right the first time...Lollar's. You can probably pick up a used set to save a couple of bucks.

fuelie

Reaction score
One of my favorite Chess players once said.

"One shall not dilly dally!"

kungpow!

Reaction score
Why limit yourself to just these 2 ends of the spectrum? There's a lot of room in between there, no?

I just got some Rewinds. Sheptones look nice. Skatterbrane, too.

If anything, the problem should be too many choices :hmm: :thumb:

Oh, and how could I forget fuelie right above me!

Support our vendors!

thisnameistak3n

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses guys!
i have to confess i dont really know a ton about pickups- i hadnt even heard of a lot of the other makes mentioned so far. i assumed lollar would be the best choice because ive heard a lot of good things about them. assuming money isnt an issue, which kind would be the best for me to go with to get the vintage-y PAF tone?

captcoolaid

Reaction score
The money spent on the Lollars will soon be forgotten and you will have quality for the rest of your life. Saving money on buying the StewMacs will leave you wanting for more and you may end up buying the Lollars in a few months anyway;

Rod It is simple economics. Let thim buy the Stew Macs and later get the Lollars or who knows maybe you me or Kevin may get the call. LOL

Just kidding man do it right the first time and get the Lollars.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses guys!
i have to confess i dont really know a ton about pickups- i hadnt even heard of a lot of the other makes mentioned so far. i assumed lollar would be the best choice because ive heard a lot of good things about them. assuming money isnt an issue, which kind would be the best for me to go with to get the vintage-y PAF tone?

My faves for this style of pickup are Fueli, Manlius, Skatts and Electric city.

djrussell

Reaction score
For what its worth I've heard great things about the Golden Age pickups... apparently they are excellent, but everything is subjective; you may get the Lollars and hate them.

tex_lt

Banned
Reaction score
For what its worth I've heard great things about the Golden Age pickups... apparently they are excellent, but everything is subjective; you may get the Lollars and hate them.

I put a Golden Age P-90 in my first LP Junior build, they are pretty good, but I will be upgrading to a P-90 from one of our vendors very soon.....:D:D

thisnameistak3n

Reaction score
thanks everybody for your input.
skatterbrane- i had a look at your website, and im kinda leaning towards your quiesence (defineitely didnt spell that right) pickups!

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
thanks everybody for your input.
skatterbrane- i had a look at your website, and im kinda leaning towards your quiesence (defineitely didnt spell that right) pickups!

Thank you. If you have any questions, at the bottom of every page of my site there is a link "Contact Us" I just call them Q-Branes, it is not easy to type Quiescence Branes over and over.

Latest Threads