Stew Mac Hot Rod Truss Rod: Need a Filler Strip?

Tugboat

Reaction score
I have a question about the stew mac hot rod truss rod. It doesn't require a filler strip but does anyone put one on there anyways?

Barnaby

Reaction score
Some people do. The danger is that it'll require a slot that's too deep and increase the chances of you cutting through to it when carving the neck. Once, I actually put a very thin filler strip over one. It was actually a piece of maple binding and was probably less than a mm by the time it was planed flush, but it meant I didn't have to be worried about squeezeout in the channel when gluing on the fingerboard.

All in all, it was more bother than benefit, but a fun experiment. The only time I can think it'd be really needed would be for a very thin fingerboard, like a veneer strat. :hmm:

Tugboat

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I don't want to take it down any more but I did see someone on youtube do that. I'll just stick to Stew Mac's tape method.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use double-action truss rods all the time. No filler strip. But I've only done 1/4" thick (or thereabouts) fingerboards, no thin, strat-style boards as of yet.

No problems so far.

What I do when gluing is to rub wax over the rod, then lay down a narrow strip of masking tape over the rod channel after I put the rod in, apply my glue, and strip the tape off before setting the fingerboard. I probably don't even have to remove the tape, but I do anyway..

Latest Threads