Step aside MM2014, the real deal is back! Les Paul Junior Special 2014

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At the time it was referred to as " Limed Mahogany "

da7ad4a9-8247-49ce-b7a9-69455ea7cc99.jpg

tonyj

Reaction score
'Specials' are indeed great guitars, as are the single pick-up Juniors. This is especially true when they really do have genuine US Gibson P90 pick-ups (or similar P90s) installed.

I personally haven't run into issues with LP 'Juniors', as far as pick-ups are concerned, but I have seen a number of 'Specials' that had P100's rather than the 'claimed' P90 pickups installed. These are often sold by owners who weren't necessarily aware of this. Gibson have issued a number of 'Specials' with P100s installed, over the years.

Always check out that you are buying the actual type of pickups that you want, and especially with 'used' 'Specials'.

A screwdriver is all that you will need to check this out, once the strings have been slackened off. The P100 is not a bad pickup by any means, but it is hardly a P90. The P100 is a 'stacked' P90 which makes it into a 'humbucking' type pickup. It is therefore twice the thickness of a P90. This is something that can only be seen by raising the pickup(s) up, out of its routing cavity. The connecting wires are usually long enough to do this with ease.

Well worth checking out, as most folks usually want to buy a guitar with P90s, but occasionally and mistakenly, buy a Special with the less desirable (to some) P100s. They do look exactly the same and you either check for yourself, or contact Gibson with the details of the guitar. They will then tell you what was installed in the guitar when it left the factory - not always what it now has.

It is an easy check however, which I have actually done under a street lamp, late in the evening in winter, and after having driven 100km one way, to meet the seller before finalising a purchase. I had previously confirmed with the seller that I would want to do this check. He had no objections for a procedure that took us less than two or three minutes to complete. ......... The guitar in question was the real deal. It had two beautiful P90s, and yes, I bought it.

lpspecsix.jpg

On the left is another Gibson 'Special' that I bought a while ago - in this case a '95 version. A nicely made single cut Special which Gibson had originally sold with P100 pickups. I believe it still had them when this photo was taken. I later replaced the P100s with a pair of used Gibson US P90s that I had acquired.
A 'shaped' block of semi-hard foam was used to 'fill up' the space in each existing route cavity, left after removing the thicker P100 pickups. The 'softer' foam is easily compressible and will eliminate any future rattles, etc.. This is a normal procedure, and is used by many guitar technicians. No other cutting of the foam, pickguard, pickups or guitar body was needed. I also was able to use the original screws. The guitar is now as good as it ever will be, at least in my hands.

macdog

Reaction score
One of Gibson's finest. Really, the whole range of Specials and Juniors should be available. Single and double cut, SG, a range of colours... Gibson might actually convince me that they know what they are doing.

smurph1

Reaction score
I bought one a couple months back.. Sent it back.. I have 'picky ear" syndrome.. Couldn't get it to intonate properly..

Shogun

Reaction score
The junior of my dreams is high gloss tv yellow, double cut, wrap around tail piece, neck binding and a single pickup, since it's not that - pass. :)

tonyj

Reaction score
The junior of my dreams is high gloss tv yellow, double cut, wrap around tail piece, neck binding and a single pickup, since it's not that - pass. :)

Jeez Shogun thats a rare bird. I've seen and owned vintage Juniors, Custom Juniors and so on, both single and double cut, single pickup, and in TV yellow, etc.. I don't recall one with neck binding though. Is this an SG model perhaps?

59LPjr8.jpg

nimrod

Reaction score
I really want an alpine white (not translucent) Special with an ebony board and a wraparound that's not a custom shop. The closest thing is either settle for the TV Yellow one on Sweetwater, or get a white Special with a TOM bridge (which there are plenty of). Decisions, decisions. :hmm:

Shogun

Reaction score
Jeez Shogun thats a rare bird. I've seen and owned vintage Juniors, Custom Juniors and so on, both single and double cut, single pickup, and in TV yellow, etc.. I don't recall one with neck binding though. Is this an SG model perhaps?

59LPjr8.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure, I saw one in a store a few years ago like that and really wanted it. Might have been moded though. :)

I might have to get a double cut junior and then pay someone to add neck binding.

tonyj

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure, I saw one in a store a few years ago like that and really wanted it. Might have been moded though. :)

I might have to get a double cut junior and then pay someone to add neck binding.

.........but that would ruin it !!! .....like putting an ashtray on a Harley....:D

Left Paw

Reaction score
Glad to see they brought it back. Sorta like when McDonalds brings back the McRib...

73Fender

Reaction score

They only made these for a few years, Gibson still has them on their website. The name is a mouthful for sure. The yellow is cool.
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Jr Special
A special run for Musicians Friend maybe. I found one on CL, like new for $600. Even a hard case. My only complaint was the very weak pickup springs, the pickup would wobble if you looked at it. Found some stiffer springs from Philadelphia Luthiers Supply. The finish is not transparent at all, I often wonder what is under the paint. How many piece body etc.

I really want an alpine white (not translucent) Special with an ebony board and a wraparound that's not a custom shop. The closest thing is either settle for the TV Yellow one on Sweetwater, or get a white Special with a TOM bridge (which there are plenty of). Decisions, decisions. :hmm:

No wrap around but ain't bad. The white would not have been my first choice but it grew on me. Don't know if dealers still carry these or not. I should leave it in the sun and try to fade it a little.
DSC_0028_zps42ed740c.jpg

hrfdez

Reaction score
The only beef I have with the SweetH2O version is the gig bag. Nice guitar and no hard case?

The guitar still nice, but I hate to have to buy a case for it.

If I would have seen the one on EBay first, I would have got that Cherry :)

Latest Threads