Steinberger Gearless Tuners?

drpietrzak

Reaction score
Gibson has used these in the past. Has anyone used them and if so what are your thoughts?

Steinberger Gearless Tuners | stewmac.com

I was thinking of these to replace the eTune. I has a locating peg - it looks like that would require drilling. Does anyone know if it does?

tzd

Reaction score
That looks worse than a normal tuner - the locating peg is on the top of the headstock, not on the bottom. You'll have to put a hole on the top.

I'd rather drill the hole in the bottom.

VanR

Reaction score
I replaced the ETune on my 2014 LP Standard with some Hipshot locking tuners from MF for $59. Universal Mounting Plate (UMP) makes it quick and easy. No drilling required.

Jnorm

Reaction score
The came stock on my 2013 Firebird V and I think they work great.

Checking out the instruction @ the Stew-Mac site it appears you have to drill a hole for the position pin. Steps 1 and 2 of 4 :

1. Loosen the 2 hex set screws that hold the knurled tuning knob to the tuner shaft and remove the knob.

Remove the white Teflon washer, the hex nut and the thick spacer from the shaft.

2. Insert the tuner shaft through the 3/8" (10mm) tuner hole on your guitar from the face (front side) of your headstock. Note there is a pointed positioning pin on the lip of the tuner. This pin MUST be positioned towards the nut.

Orient the pin and push down on the tuner to accurately make a small location mark on the face of the headstock next to the tuner hole

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I replaced the ETune on my 2014 LP Standard with some Hipshot locking tuners from MF for $59. Universal Mounting Plate (UMP) makes it quick and easy. No drilling required.
Who sells the UMP? I find the tuners. I find a "kit" at Hipshot but I would like black UMP and chrome tuners.

MSB

Reaction score
got them on a future tribute.... I wouldn't take them off unless you can't stand the look, but I wouldn't be itching to add them to another guitar, unless it was a firebird.

They work great, are locking, look different (you can choose if that's a plus or minus), and easy to use (i think they are more comfortable to use than standard tuners).

I'm a converted fan

ps. they make the headstock of a LP look huge at first

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gibson has used these in the past. Has anyone used them and if so what are your thoughts?

Steinberger Gearless Tuners | stewmac.com

I was thinking of these to replace the eTune. I has a locating peg - it looks like that would require drilling. Does anyone know if it does?
I tried one set. They are well made and do the job, but I had two issues with them.

First, if you have as many guitars as I do, then when you grab this one you will likely be disoriented reaching for the tuners. Like Doh! over and over again.

Second, the clipped strings (even as shown in the StewMac pictures) will MAKE YOU BLEED. Yeah, I clipped them even shorter but don't really like that idea so much.

No hate here, but never again.

LiSky

Reaction score
Hey, i wasnt sure where to post this but here it goes:

I just bought 2013 Firebird V and the tuners resonate. They seem to be loose ... I now wish it would have trad tuner cause NEVER i had this problem in my 35 year guitar playing history :/
Here's a video: (listn carefully in the beginning)

Any idea how to fix this? Not all of them seem as loose as some, so it seems like some of them have something wrong... but i dont know what.

I also found a fix already but i love that leather belt so much that i dont wanna use that :p

judson

Reaction score
bought an older used firebird that had them, i didnt care for the look of them at first but i love em for their function

they hold tune, easy to restring, easy to fine tune on the fly

i had to play with one to get it right but it was my error when restringing the fbird....

if i had a choice i would take them over anything else.....

the look is just different but you want something that does the job.....looks are secondary

the ones i have are the original model, not the newer ones

LiSky

Reaction score
bought an older used firebird that had them, i didnt care for the look of them at first but i love em for their function

they hold tune, easy to restring, easy to fine tune on the fly

i had to play with one to get it right but it was my error when restringing the fbird....

if i had a choice i would take them over anything else.....

the look is just different but you want something that does the job.....looks are secondary

the ones i have are the original model, not the newer ones

But what about that resonate or the loose top parts ? Do you know anything about that?

judson

Reaction score
But what about that resonate or the loose top parts ? Do you know anything about that?
no mine are the older model but i would bet there are instructions somewhere on how to fix that....

get the allen wrench out, loosen then find the flat spot, tighten...thats it ...watch these

here you go....

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
judson,

I used you link to these and got a Stewmac message saying they couldn't find what I was looking for. I searched all of the tuners Stewmac has, and couldn't find these. I note that your OP is over 3 years old, so Stewmac may not have them now.

In any event Sperzel locking tuners are my fav.

Last edited:

LiSky

Reaction score
no mine are the older model but i would bet there are instructions somewhere on how to fix that....

get the allen wrench out, loosen then find the flat spot, tighten...thats it ...watch these

here you go....

Thanks but i already saw these and they dont tell me anything about the problem i have. :/

LiSky

Reaction score
Wow, i cant believe i didnt try this before :O
The fix: just tighten the hex screw in the clamp and you're done!

They were all a bit loose.

IMG_5560.jpg

moreles

Reaction score
I've used these, and they work well but are heavy and ugly. The set I had used the top locating pin, which is a ridiculously bad idea since it mars your headstock front. The actual function is excellent, though with higher-ratio conventional machines coming out all the time I'm not sure they're really all that better, functionally. IMO the most useful tuner would be maybe 24:1 -- "macro" enough to handle other tunings, "micro" enough to nail the exact note.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Can a person just buy the little nylon or Teflon washers that go under the tuning knob?

Latest Threads