Status of Proxy services right now?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry, I know this has been discussed recently but I can't find the thread anymore.
I know there was some controversy surrounding Buyee a while ago, personally I never had any issues.
Then there was widespread trouble with shipping due to covid for most proxies.

Just asking, what is the current situation right now? What Proxy services are doing good right now and which to avoid?
Shipping to Europe (Netherlands, Belgium)

Roxy13

Reaction score
@Homeras since he does a lot of shipping to Europe.

If any US peeps are reading though EMS was reinstated to the US, but my gutiars took 29 days to get to me that were at Jauce. So I plan to continue avoiding EMS until some future date. I've been using FromJapan instead and FedEx.

zeneffect

Reaction score
My last guitar was ems through jauce a couple of weeks ago. Took 3 days for me but I'm near the customs port of entry

Roxy13

Reaction score
My last guitar was ems through jauce a couple of weeks ago. Took 3 days for me but I'm near the customs port of entry
Good to hear. I sent mine right on June 1 and it was 3.5 weeks to get on a plane. They got to me June 29.

currypowder

Reaction score
I recently used Rinkya for the first time in a while. They are super expensive, but were the only proxy who would buy the guitar I wanted. All went well, shipping was via FedEx. I estimate that I paid about $300 or so more than had I been able to use FromJapan.

My go to is FromJapan and I've had no issues with them whatsoever. I did have a guitar sustain some minor damage, but I really don't think it was their fault, that lies with the original store. Still, they did compensate me for the repair.

currypowder

Reaction score
One other thing, a friend of mine used Buyee recently before I could warn him off. To my surprise, everything went off without a hitch, he said packing was great and it got to him quickly.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
One other thing, a friend of mine used Buyee recently before I could warn him off. To my surprise, everything went off without a hitch, he said packing was great and it got to him quickly.
I never had any issues, have a couple of transactions that went smooth and fast.

currypowder

Reaction score
I never had any issues, have a couple of transactions that went smooth and fast.
There were a couple of members who had some significant issues with buyee flat out refusing to ship guitars stating that they contained restricted woods (they did not). Maybe it was a one-off situation that isn't happening anymore, I certainly hope so.

Lumi71

Reaction score
I also heard of problems with buyee to Europe..
FromJapan and shipping with fedex is easy, reasonable rate at about 15k yen per guitar plus very fast.

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shipping to Germany by EMS takes a little over a week based on a recent shipment.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
There were a couple of members who had some significant issues with buyee flat out refusing to ship guitars stating that they contained restricted woods (they did not). Maybe it was a one-off situation that isn't happening anymore, I certainly hope so.
Yep I remember that. When using buyee it gives automated warnings like "this add contains the word ".......", please check the terms and conditions" or something similar.
One of the words that triggers this is Jacaranda. Also words like "repair" etc. Sometimes I see this automated warning and I can't find the word in the add. So maybe they just have this autmomated system and they don't really check it in person.
But the way they handled it is just not acceptble.

I'm kinda split now at the moment, I always used Buyee without issues, but then again I was lucky because I never had any issues with broken goods or trouble with customs etc. Haven't bought guitars since that whole ordeal now though.
Should I just stay away for now based on the experience of others? Maybe it's the safest choice. On the other hand, I have some connections in Japan who'll send me the guitar should Buyee refuse to ship outside Japan.

Homeras

Reaction score
@Homeras since he does a lot of shipping to Europe.

If any US peeps are reading though EMS was reinstated to the US, but my gutiars took 29 days to get to me that were at Jauce. So I plan to continue avoiding EMS until some future date. I've been using FromJapan instead and FedEx.
Hah, not that much recently, my dear ;)
Post and commercial couriers in my country do shit work, that's for sure. And I only use/used zenmarket. Good service but prices for shipping comparing to others aren't that low.

zeneffect

Reaction score
Ems just shipped out today. Countdown is on expecting 3 days like last time though

EG700

Reaction score
I've been using From-Japan in the last month, which to my destination offers Fedex or DHL only. DHL is priced at about 3/4 of Fedex's charges.

None of the automated warnings (about "forbidden woods", or "oil" in a cap) on their auction pages has ever yet resulted in non-shipment.

The From-Japan service has been great overall. The only issue I've had with them was when I bid for and won hard cases for guitars that I had won on Yahoo Japan that came with tired old soft cases. I wanted the guitars in soft cases to be re-packed into the hard cases. This was really difficult for their "system" to handle. The packers wanted to ship empty hard cases alongside guitars in soft cases. They absolutely did not want to reduce the shipment volume by putting guitars in hard cases and disposing of the junky old soft cases. The email-answering office staff begged and pleaded with them on my behalf for this to be done, but it appears that From-Japan packing staff are a law unto themselves and do not take orders from office staff. In the end, two guitars did get transferred into hard cases, but two didn't. Lesson learned, and all that. Don't make things complicated for packers.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sorry it didn't go well for you on that although that was good for me to know. I've had Jauce doing that for awhile now. But, these days I"m using FJ instetad.

EG700

Reaction score
Sorry it didn't go well for you on that although that was good for me to know. I've had Jauce doing that for awhile now. But, these days I"m using FJ instetad.
FJ did an excellent job of packing the guitars I bought that even lacked soft cases. They arrived with no damage, despite obvious rough handling by DHL. They know how to pack. But time was clearly of the essence. They couldn't be bothered with trying to use their brains concerning what they can clearly see in front of them, or figure out instructions from buyers even when translated for them by office staff.

Roxy13

Reaction score
FJ did an excellent job of packing the guitars I bought that even lacked soft cases. They arrived with no damage, despite obvious rough handling by DHL. They know how to pack. But time was clearly of the essence. They couldn't be bothered with trying to use their brains concerning what they can clearly see in front of them, or figure out instructions from buyers even when translated for them by office staff.
Sure, I've shipped many guitars that didn't even have a gigbag of any kind. But you can often get good deals on cases too. I really like the 90s Gibson TKL ones that have that little extra padding in the lid for the top of the headstock. I've managed to snag quite a few of them and for much better prices than I would pay around here. It doesn't change the shipping cost much at all to send a guitar in or not in a case so might as well get them if I can.

Vicar

Reaction score
Used FromJapan last week for a couple of items that were very well packed, but I suspect that was more to do with the original sellers. Service was very prompt and lots of options on price and timing to deliver to the UK.

Latest Threads